You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Torres best since Fowler?

andy159

I agree with most of whats been said here already.

Lets not start creaming our collective pants just yet!

Barring injury I can see him geting better.

However he needs better service and a world class partner with him.

It was the lack of world class and consistant partner that saw Owen and Fowler sucumb to injuries and loss of form before getting itchy feet/ejected from the club.

They simply had too much put on their shoulders.

Rush had Dalgliesh and then alderidge/Beardsley, without them to share the load there's no way he would've scored so many goals, no way.

Give Torres a world class partner and service and watch this lad match Fowlers scoring record for a season.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He's an awesome striker but he still has a way to go to be in the same league as Fowler and Owen.

This is only his first season and those two proved to be great goalscorers over multiple seasons which will be the next test for Fernando.

He also has to prove that he can score consistently against the top sides.

There's nothing to suggest that he won't achieve either of those tasks, but talk of him being the greatest since Robbie is somewhat premature.

Agreed.

I actually think he could be better than Fowler, even at Robbie's peak and there is no bigger fan of Robbie than me. Torres for one has more pace and take on players.... he is complete.

Yeah, in terms of all-round ability and physicality, he's superior to Robbie.

But not in terms of finishing. Fowler was probably the most naturally gifted finisher Liverpool Football Club has ever seen.

I remember a story I think Paul Robinson told once, when Robbie joined Leeds.

For a start they were all a bit in awe, and couldn't believe how down to Earth Robbie was. He then said it was towards the end of training on his first day, and Robbie has got a reserve/ youth keeper in goal, and was taking pot-shots at him.

And every shot went in. Bottom left corner - keeper no chance. Next one bottom right corner - keeper no chance. Robbie was just casually swiping every shot into the goal, unaware that a big crowd of players was gathering behind to watch, open-mouthed, as a true genius showed them what a goalscorer looks like.

He said none of them had ever seen anything like it in their lives.

Yeah, in terms of all-round ability and physicality, he's superior to Robbie.

But not in terms of finishing. Fowler was probably the most naturally gifted finisher Liverpool Football Club has ever seen.

I remember a story I think Paul Robinson told once, when Robbie joined Leeds.

For a start they were all a bit in awe, and couldn't believe how down to Earth Robbie was. He then said it was towards the end of training on his first day, and Robbie has got a reserve/ youth keeper in goal, and was taking pot-shots at him.

And every shot went in. Bottom left corner - keeper no chance. Next one bottom right corner - keeper no chance. Robbie was just casually swiping every shot into the goal, unaware that a big crowd of players was gathering behind to watch, open-mouthed, as a true genius showed them what a goalscorer looks like.

He said none of them had ever seen anything like it in their lives.

He seems to have made a habit of standing watching open-mouthed while shot after shot flies in.

depends how you judge a striker.

amount of goals scored overall?

strike rate during their time at liverpool (i.e. goals to games ratio)?

attributes (pace, strength etc)?

in that case somethings you can't judge until torres leaves liverpool in others (attributes for example) you can judge right now.

I agree with most of whats been said here already.

Lets not start creaming our collective pants just yet!

Barring injury I can see him geting better.

However he needs better service and a world class partner with him.

It was the lack of world class and consistant partner that saw Owen and Fowler sucumb to injuries and loss of form before getting itchy feet/ejected from the club.

They simply had too much put on their shoulders.

Rush had Dalgliesh and then alderidge/Beardsley, without them to share the load there's no way he would've scored so many goals, no way.Give Torres a world class partner and service and watch this lad match Fowlers scoring record for a season.

Bollocks.

Rush is also the leading scorer for Wales with 35 goals.

The creative forces he played with at international level were;

Mark Hughes, a club centre forward playing in midfield.

Mark Pembridge, an Everton non-entity during their relegation struggling years.

Some wanker from Swindon Town.

Vinney “first-touch” Jones.

Whichever Cardiff City teenager fancied a game.

When the international squads Rushie played for were injury affected, his playmakers consisted of third and fourth division tyros who England wouldn’t touch with a barge pole.

He scored WC qualifying goals against Italy and Germany when those countries were holders of the trophy and destroyed a Scottish team at Hamden that included Hansen, Nicol, Dalglish & Souness with a 40 yard belter that was beyond the imagination of the limited Owen.

Ian Rushes 35 international goals for a piss-poor Welsh team dwarfs the pitiful international scoring records of Dalglish, Aldridge, Beardsley and Fowler.

Acolyte, there is absolutely no way you know what the fuck you are talking about.

No fucking way at all.

Rushie rules. Fact.

Bollocks.

Rush is also the leading scorer for Wales with 35 goals.

The creative forces he played with at international level were;

Mark Hughes, a club centre forward playing in midfield.

Mark Pembridge, an Everton non-entity during their relegation struggling years.

Some wanker from Swindon Town.

Vinney “first-touch” Jones.

Whichever Cardiff City teenager fancied a game.

When the international squads Rushie played for were injury affected, his playmakers consisted of third and fourth division tyros who England wouldn’t touch with a barge pole.

He scored WC qualifying goals against Italy and Germany when those countries were holders of the trophy and destroyed a Scottish team at Hamden that included Hansen, Nicol, Dalglish & Souness with a 40 yard belter that was beyond the imagination of the limited Owen.

Ian Rushes 35 international goals for a piss-poor Welsh team dwarfs the pitiful international scoring records of Dalglish, Aldridge, Beardsley and Fowler.

Acolyte, there is absolutely no way you know what the fuck you are talking about.

No fucking way at all.

Rushie rules. Fact.

Yes, and this fascinating international anaysis makes David Healy look like one of the best strikers in world football, given his 33 goals in 62 appearances, and record goalscorer in a single qualifying campaign with 13.

Playing with Burnley's Kyle Lafferty.

Yes, and this fascinating international anaysis makes David Healy look like one of the best strikers in world football, given his 33 goals in 62 appearances, and record goalscorer in a single qualifying campaign with 13.

No one slags off Kyle Lafferty. No one. Not on my watch.

He's an awesome striker but he still has a way to go to be in the same league as Fowler and Owen.

This is only his first season and those two proved to be great goalscorers over multiple seasons which will be the next test for Fernando.

He also has to prove that he can score consistently against the top sides.

There's nothing to suggest that he won't achieve either of those tasks, but talk of him being the greatest since Robbie is somewhat premature.

Oh Do leave it out Ian, the lad is quality. Id not go as far as to say he's better than Robbie, yet, but he leaves Owen for dead. If he's with us 3 seasons and plays like this in each he will be our best striker, ever, FACT.

ps I reserve the right to deny erver saying this at a future point if proven wrong.

Rush onwards:

Rush

Fowler

Owen

Torres.

Thats praise enough. There's no way he's better than Owen yet, he's scored less than 20 goals for us. That's less than Paul Walsh. Some mad mentals on here.

He's scored 24 - all from open play.

Oi cunty."Sir David has proven with his 13 goals that he is the best finisher in europe,nobody can argue with his international record.If only he could do it for a club side now.

I love "el nino" but at the minute he cant be compared to either Robbie or Michael.

He has Michaels pace but at the minute id say he"s nowhere near as clinical as Owen.

Robbie never had pace,but he had a football brain,and was the best finisher out of the 3 mentioned.

Still early days for Torres,but so far so good and im delighted.