You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Bascombe?

lifetime fan

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not being funny, but there are some incredibly naive posters on here. Chris Bascombe is not going to continue to write in the same style he did for the echo. There is a news of the world house style - similar to most red tops. Soundbites, a little sensationalism thrown in, a few bad puns, scapegoating, the cult of the personality etc etc....

Don't think I've ever read a Bascombe report without a bad pun.

Why play him? He doesnt even play for the reserves so was never going to be sharp. I dont understand rotating goalies. Its just suicide and we should have learned our lesson with Dudek.

Spot on. I know Rafa promised him the cup games but he shouldnt of. Reina should start every game, a number two should be happy with being that. If Intandje doesnt like it then he can go, just get some old bastard in who'd be happy as that.

Spot on. I know Rafa promised him the cup games but he shouldnt of. Reina should start every game, a number two should be happy with being that. If Intandje doesnt like it then he can go, just get some old bastard in who'd be happy as that.

If our so called strikers could hit a barn door it wouldnt matter who we had in nets ffs if they had put away a quarter of the chances we had, we would have still won with Stevie Wonder in nets.

Think he did the same at Valencia with Palop playing the cups. He's half decent though.

At the risk of being labeled an even bigger "emotional moron" than I (apparently, according to some) already am, I'll continue:

Methinks ChrisB would like have his cake, and eat it too.

For me, the last 2 match reports by ChrisB have been an outright disgrace. He seems to have decided upon an agenda - Rafa out - and stuffs it into every paragraph. Even when we won 3-0, he slanders new players, and rips into the manager.

Am I the dope here? For thinking that, if ANY player is not giving their honest best efforts on the field, that they should held accountable? Souness was twice the player Gerrard will ever be. If he decided in the begining of the 84 season that Fagan wasn't up to snuff, and coasted through games - Soueey would have been fucked off into the reserves so fast your head would spin. Same with any player, with any manager. Its NOT the players job to decide if the manager is worth playing for. Its the players job, EVERY GAME, to justify their position in the team.

You want a return to the Spice Boys days? No, didn't think so. There are many understandable reasons, psychological and physical, why a player may not be able to give his best on a given day. Deciding that they can't be arsed, because they don't like the manager - IS NOT ONE OF THEM.

So, back to ChrisB. Many here will explain WHY he is doing what he's doing. In a nutshell, he feels he has to reflect the viewpoints of his most intimate contacts, for fear of losing them in the future.

I'm not saying that Chris is not a good newspaper writer (not the same as a good writer, btw). Nor am I saying that he doesn't have deep contacts within the club, etc. But I think there is a deep sense of HYPOCRISY at play here.

You can't play both sides of the fence. Write articles that stab at the heart of everything LFC stands for, and still proclaim your undying love for "The Liverppool Way".

Thats not hyperbole. Having a pre-meditated agenda of blaming the manager and publically undermining him at every opportunity (even when we win 3-0 for fucks sake!) does stab at the heart of the bonds which hold Liverpool football together.

The day I see Rafa laughing his ass off in the tunnel after a defeat, or see Rafa not getting visibly furious when the team are underperforming, I might see your point and agree with some of your criticisms. But, as long as Rafa continues to work his ass off, and as long as he continues to FEEL each defeat like a stab to the heart, then I know that whatever his faults, the real problems lie elsewhere.

At the risk of being labeled an even bigger "emotional moron" than I (apparently, according to some) already am, I'll continue:

Methinks ChrisB would like have his cake, and eat it too.

For me, the last 2 match reports by ChrisB have been an outright disgrace. He seems to have decided upon an agenda - Rafa out - and stuffs it into every paragraph. Even when we won 3-0, he slanders new players, and rips into the manager.

Am I the dope here? For thinking that, if ANY player is not giving their honest best efforts on the field, that they should held accountable? Souness was twice the player Gerrard will ever be. If he decided in the begining of the 84 season that Fagan wasn't up to snuff, and coasted through games - Soueey would have been fucked off into the reserves so fast your head would spin. Same with any player, with any manager. Its NOT the players job to decide if the manager is worth playing for. Its the players job, EVERY GAME, to justify their position in the team.

You want a return to the Spice Boys days? No, didn't think so. There are many understandable reasons, psychological and physical, why a player may not be able to give his best on a given day. Deciding that they can't be arsed, because they don't like the manager - IS NOT ONE OF THEM.

So, back to ChrisB. Many here will explain WHY he is doing what he's doing. In a nutshell, he feels he has to reflect the viewpoints of his most intimate contacts, for fear of losing them in the future.

I'm not saying that Chris is not a good newspaper writer (not the same as a good writer, btw). Nor am I saying that he doesn't have deep contacts within the club, etc. But I think there is a deep sense of HYPOCRISY at play here.

You can't play both sides of the fence. Write articles that stab at the heart of everything LFC stands for, and still proclaim your undying love for "The Liverppool Way".

Thats not hyperbole. Having a pre-meditated agenda of blaming the manager and publically undermining him at every opportunity (even when we win 3-0 for fucks sake!) does stab at the heart of the bonds which hold Liverpool football together.

The day I see Rafa laughing his ass off in the tunnel after a defeat, or see Rafa not getting visibly furious when the team are underperforming, I might see your point and agree with some of your criticisms. But, as long as Rafa continues to work his ass off, and as long as he continues to FEEL each defeat like a stab to the heart, then I know that whatever his faults, the real problems lie elsewhere.

What he said.

I'm not being funny, but there are some incredibly naive posters on here. Chris Bascombe is not going to continue to write in the same style he did for the echo. There is a news of the world house style - similar to most red tops. Soundbites, a little sensationalism thrown in, a few bad puns, scapegoating, the cult of the personality etc etc - it's all in there, because that's how they sell papers. It's not bad journalism (except by the standards of the holier than thou brigade), it's a different style of journalism. If he had taken Oliver Kay's job, he would be writing in what might be regarded as a more considered, sober style, but he hasn't. It's no coincidence that some of the red top journos are very highly regarded in the industry, despite writing in the red top style. It's actually not that easy to distil a lot of information down into soundbites for easy consumption by neanderthals (and please don't respond with any fatuous examples to show how easy you think it is). I happen to know a lot of serious journalists, most of who write for what were previously termed broadsheets, but they will tell you it's not easy being adept at cramming information into 200 words were they might have the luxury of 1200, and that's without adding the salacious details.

It's not being naive to hate the NOTW's style of writing.

It might be naive of me to expect a decent knowledgable journalist to stick to writing considered knowledgable match reports rather than the sensationalist rubbish so characteristic of the red tops

It might be naive of me to expect a decent knowledgable journalist to stick to writing considered knowledgable match reports rather than the sensationalist rubbish so characteristic of the red tops

Come on, who is being naive now? What sells more papers, the honest truth or sensationalism and lies, rumour etc??

Come on, who is being naive now? What sells more papers, the honest truth or sensationalism and lies, rumour etc??

When you're right you're right.

One uncomfortable truth that no Government can ever dare admit, is that society is 95% comprised of absolute tools.

That Barnsley match report must have been written straight after the final whistle. If I'd have read it then I'd have agreed with every word because I was fuming at the way we'd lost to such a bunch of inbred shitkickers. Reading Bascombe's match report a couple of days later when I've calmed down it does seem over the top but it's understandable that a Red would be seething and writing a really critical piece at the time.

Itanje isn't that bad but he looks like a newly born giraffe and he's clearly causing the defence to panic. His inclusion makes us shaky at the back so he should be left out regardless of how bad his own performances really are.

I agree with you. I don't like it, but it sells papers.

Once upon a time there was a man who wrote stories. His stories were about a Spanish hero who vanquished all his foes and did no wrong. Then it looked like the Spanish hero was to be kicked out of the village for his many crimes against humanity, so, knowing which side of his bread was buttered, the man got deep inside Gerrard and Carragher's arses and pulled the rug out from under The Spaniard.

And he lived happily ever after.

The end.

That's the story.

Aye. Who the fuck was Alec Chamberlain? Neville's kid?

No his dad was called Chamberlain Chamberlain. That's where you've got the Neville idea from.

I seriously need to stop typing shit and go to bed. I think lack of sleep is making me delirous. Is Delirious a rapper? If not then he should be.