You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Bascombe?

lifetime fan

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats a bullshit argument, which can be used to absolve any trashy article, by anyone, in any rag. No one is saying that Chris is not entitled to his views, if thats what he really thinks. But thats not to say that we have to accept them, or that he is absolved from critcism, even anger.

Is the anger justified? Well, some of the insidious and sly digs against the manager in his last 2 match reports have DISGUSTED me. Certainly not anything a real fan should be proud of.

Why is it that if some players have decided NOT to give 100% because of the manager, then those players are innocent and the manager is guilty? Because Chris is directing his anger at Rafa solely.

And that last sly "Rafa loves Hicks" comment was despicable. ChrisB, are you reading this? I don't know you, and you may be a sound guy in meatspace, but it was DESPICABLE. A throwaway comment, tossed in at the end - attempting to side Rafa with the "forces of evil", without even an attempt at backing it up with any facts (facts? remember those?)

ChrisB - there has to be some element of honesty in any article. When you say that Barnsley richly deserved to win, you're lying. You know you're lying. Everyone who saw that game knows you're lying. Anyone who didnt see the game, but just saw the match stats afterwards, knows you're lying. Barnsley supporters who are justifiably proud of their team, still know they were lucky, and that you're lying.

You cannot insert outright lies into an article, and expect fans to RESPECT you for it.

And as far as giving ChrisB carte blanche to run his mouth off, and lie and slander Liverpool servants to suit his own preferences, because of some sterling service he did for the club in the past (leading the journalistic charge to "out" the Yanks)?

Well, Rafa has done great service for this club in the past too. And I remain convinced that, day in, day out, Rafa continues to give 100% to his job.

I reserve my ire for those who are paid by the fans, via Liverpool FC, but who ARE NOT giving 100%.

TOP TOP post

Now that Hicks has publicly stated that he wants Rafa to see out his contract, Rafa has suddenly started having a closer relationship with him.

If DIC are about to take over Rafa will be fully aware of it. So why would he need to 'back' Hicks?

If he has an amicable relationship with Hicks after all the shit that's gone on it's more a sign that Rafa wants peace and stability now than any nefarious scheming betrayal by him to 'support' Hicks, as seems to be being implied.

It's sly paranoid nonsense and nudge-nudge wink-wink rumour mongering to imply anything other than that.

I'm not going to comment on SG and JC because it's all rumour. But if there are any Liverpool players that let their personal relationship with the manager damage our club through division then they are cancerous.

Bascombe the journalist is a star. Someone who knows exactly what is going on behind the scenes and tells it like it is.

Bascombe the match reporter is binned off after 2 paragraphs in recent weeks because we have been watching different matches. They are also too opinionated. A journalist should not have an opinion, they should deliver the facts from both sides of the story.

It's stylistic. He has adopted the house style, that's all. Understand that, and all will become clearer.

It's 75% of the job. Do you have any idea how many people there are of equal writing ability there are in this country that would love to be a journalist? Any arsehole can string a sentence together, but the ones who get to the top do so because of their ability to make good contacts, who treat their sources well and cultivate them over time. Those who people can deem trustworthy enough to confide in to get certain messages out there.

Think of something like getting Jamie Carragher on side, and the information that would filter though and the long term story implications of that contact. Then tell me with a straight face that you (not you personally Rashid, but others) think Bascombe should choose him as a sacrificial lamb over a young French goalkeeper after yesterday. No. Fucking. Way.

i don't think many can argue with the above, but there is plenty in the original match report that i would deem unprofessional.

he calls itandje a "Clown" in print. by all means judge his performance, but why does it need to go to that level? and if clown is fair game, then so is every one of the comments where chris is called a cunt. don't make your bed and then refuse to lie in it.

as for Chris calling out cardie to "Discuss" his comments, i wonder if Chris will be doing the same and telling Charles Itandje to his own face that he's a clown of a goalkeeper who should be wearing an ambulance siren.

its obvious there is an agenda of sorts in the report, and that's fine if its a discreet way of shedding light on some of the situations that are going on, but resulting to name calling in a national publication that is read by thousands of people isn't professional behaviour.

its all fine and well to make Itandje the "sacrificial lamb" as you say, but there is no need to manufacture a new truth to keep from having to rightly criticise someone you consider a mate. i would think its wholly possible to have pointed out that carra made a mistake without writing it in a way that threw carra under the bus. xabi was culpable as well. but his "mates" were spared criticism of any sort. how can that be considered responsible reporting when you conveniently ignore the obvious?

The fact that Bascombe's last few pieces have read so differently from previous ones can't help but make me wonder if he actually wrote them or if he wrote them as they appeared.

Chrisb if that really is you, come clean; are your gutter rag editors changing your words to suit their depraved style? Just admit it if so; we won't hold it against you; everyone has to make a living...

PM me if you don't want to reply here

If they are going to sell the club then they won't sack him. Why should they pay him off?

That's a relevant point Mr. Hermes.

Let's hope they sell sooner rather than later, so we can see for ourselves if the latest months of turbulence has had an impact on the results. If they sell now, Rafa will have until the end of the season to turn things around in a more quiet environment. I very much doubt that D.I.C will sack him now if the get in, they will wait until the summer so that they have time to do a propper evaluation of the situation.

That's a relevant point Mr. Hermes.

Let's hope they sell sooner rather than later, so we can see for ourselves if the latest months of turbulence has had an impact on the results. If they sell now, Rafa will have until the end of the season to turn things around in a more quiet environment. I very much doubt that D.I.C will sack him now if the get in, they will wait until the summer so that they have time to do a propper evaluation of the situation.

I think DIC will give him another year as the last thing they would want is more turnmoil.

I think DIC will give him another year as the last thing they would want is more turnmoil.

Let's hope so. If what you're saying is true, then they would have to back him in the transfer marked aswell this summer. I'm very curious to how much they will spend to be honest (if they're able to buy us that is).

Thats a bullshit argument, which can be used to absolve any trashy article, by anyone, in any rag. No one is saying that Chris is not entitled to his views, if thats what he really thinks. But thats not to say that we have to accept them, or that he is absolved from critcism, even anger.

Is the anger justified? Well, some of the insidious and sly digs against the manager in his last 2 match reports have DISGUSTED me. Certainly not anything a real fan should be proud of.

Why is it that if some players have decided NOT to give 100% because of the manager, then those players are innocent and the manager is guilty? Because Chris is directing his anger at Rafa solely.

And that last sly "Rafa loves Hicks" comment was despicable. ChrisB, are you reading this? I don't know you, and you may be a sound guy in meatspace, but it was DESPICABLE. A throwaway comment, tossed in at the end - attempting to side Rafa with the "forces of evil", without even an attempt at backing it up with any facts (facts? remember those?)

ChrisB - there has to be some element of honesty in any article. When you say that Barnsley richly deserved to win, you're lying. You know you're lying. Everyone who saw that game knows you're lying. Anyone who didnt see the game, but just saw the match stats afterwards, knows you're lying. Barnsley supporters who are justifiably proud of their team, still know they were lucky, and that you're lying.

You cannot insert outright lies into an article, and expect fans to RESPECT you for it.

And as far as giving ChrisB carte blanche to run his mouth off, and lie and slander Liverpool servants to suit his own preferences, because of some sterling service he did for the club in the past (leading the journalistic charge to "out" the Yanks)?

Well, Rafa has done great service for this club in the past too. And I remain convinced that, day in, day out, Rafa continues to give 100% to his job.

I reserve my ire for those who are paid by the fans, via Liverpool FC, but who ARE NOT giving 100%.

Excellent post.

Let's not forget Bascome's wholly inappropriate and unecessary Skrtel tirade a few weeks ago.

well said mate,put much better than i could ever attempt to put it.:thumbup:

I'm not being funny, but there are some incredibly naive posters on here. Chris Bascombe is not going to continue to write in the same style he did for the echo. There is a news of the world house style - similar to most red tops. Soundbites, a little sensationalism thrown in, a few bad puns, scapegoating, the cult of the personality etc etc - it's all in there, because that's how they sell papers. It's not bad journalism (except by the standards of the holier than thou brigade), it's a different style of journalism. If he had taken Oliver Kay's job, he would be writing in what might be regarded as a more considered, sober style, but he hasn't. It's no coincidence that some of the red top journos are very highly regarded in the industry, despite writing in the red top style. It's actually not that easy to distil a lot of information down into soundbites for easy consumption by neanderthals (and please don't respond with any fatuous examples to show how easy you think it is). I happen to know a lot of serious journalists, most of who write for what were previously termed broadsheets, but they will tell you it's not easy being adept at cramming information into 200 words were they might have the luxury of 1200, and that's without adding the salacious details.

It's a bit obvious that there is a mild addition of sensationalism to his story, but I reckon that's more to do with the editors than him alone.

Like you said there's an NOTW House Style, something governed by the NOTW itself, not the writers.

His stories are still reliable as ever, and his match reports albeit a bit more damning, haven't changed that much.

I remember him destroying Zenden a couple of times along with a couple other players, so I see no major difference there.

Either way, he's a journalist, not someone important enough to fret 9 pages over. Let it go. He's a good red, a good journalist, and someone who's done far more to bring the truth to the table than all the other rags put together.