You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rafa's Surrender

I should know better than to get involved in this thread, but if Gerrard had picked up a knock, why the hell didn't Rafa say so in his post-match interview? Why in that scenario would he come up with another reason for making a decision that would bring him a load of stick, when the real reason would have been readily accepted by everyone?

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see what you mean but you can also argue that not announcing the fitness status of our players is an advantage. They've got to do a public training session before the cameras tomorrow but other than that it's best injuries or otherwise are kept secret.

But who the fuck are you?

I'm Moschops Full time carer

For what it's worth Rash, the substitutions he made were probably going to be the same even if we were 3-1 up. I don't think he surrendered it just seems he stuck to his game plan, that said we should have battered them with the players on the pitch anyway.

“At 3-1 (down), you have to protect your good players.”

Is that how you interpreted that statement?

I'd rather have all of our best players fit for Marseilles and ManUre than risk them at Reading. Well, at least some light has been taken off our defeat since Arsenal lost today and we also have a game in hand which we must win.

you are right but how many seasons must we go on and say that game in hand is a must win, all games are must win if you want to win the league.

I'd rather have all of our best players fit for Marseilles and ManUre than risk them at Reading. Well, at least some light has been taken off our defeat since Arsenal lost today and we also have a game in hand which we must win.

Even though i don't agree as i'd rather us win the premiership i can see your point about Marseille. But in terms of points what difference does it make whether we beat reading and lose to the mancs or lose to reading and beat the mancs. Its still 3 points over 2 games however you may want to look at it.

I've calmed down a lot since the game some points

1. rafa is under a ridiculous amount of pressure if anyone thinks there wasn't 'some' truth in the notw article then they have patently got their head in the sand, its quite possible rafa's JOB is riding on tuesday's game.

2. quite simply rafa is privvy to stuff we are not for instance there is no way on this EARTH I would have started riise? but what if finnan is injuried rather than rested and aurelio is not yet at the stage to start games, who comes in for riise? maybe rafa feels babel and kewell for different reasons aren't ready to start against a very physical reading side.

3. the owners have pushed rafa into a position where he HAS to priorities the CL league game before the league game, they seem reluctant to release the purse strings (another thing rafa is privvy to that we are not) and feels the only why to strengthen the squad thereby giving him more options to ease in the likes of hobbs and plain drop the likes of riise is to fund the purchases himself with progression in the CL.

probably rafa thought 'fuck it this game is over' pulled off (fnar fnar) torres and stevie (who looked like they'd taken knocks) and carra who was VERY luckey not to have been booked thereby missing the manu game, to lick our wounds and get ready for THE most important game of our season to date.

sometimes I have to put myself in the managers shoes before flying off in a towering rage, I think the saying is 'heavy is the head that lies the crown'

Even though i don't agree as i'd rather us win the premiership i can see your point about Marseille. But in terms of points what difference does it make whether we beat reading and lose to the mancs or lose to reading and beat the mancs. Its still 3 points over 2 games however you may want to look at it.

that's not strickly speaking true, you beat manu you gain 3 points and prevent them from getting three points.

2002 - had we beaten arsenal home and away we (rather than them) would be champions.

beating your direct rivals carries more importance than ever.

No balance in selection

No committment from Manager

Surrender with quarter of game not Liverpool way (remember Istanbul - No Surrender)

Rafa more concerned with his european reputation in CL than winning prem

Mash no signficant offensive contribution

Sissoko a headless chicken 110% committment 10% skill

No width

No manager who will win the prem