You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Trifle fucking rules

RedinSweden

2 and 3 sound good but I can't see the benefit of point 1. No way Hose.

Now you see I'm all over 1 & 2, but 3 is akin to an Eton toff trying to sneak his way into a stay behind in the One O'Clock Gun without being noticed.

I'm not a massive dessert eater as I don't have a sweet tooth. Of all the desserts though, trifle is king.

Hell no! Trifle's ok but it's nowhere near the pudding crown. Trifle is only just better than mediocre. Treacle pudding, cheesecake, jam sponge and black forest gateux are all far superior to trifle.

I think that the introduction of tarts, banoffee pie and other such delights raises the question of...

(drum roll)...

PUDDING WARS: THE GF DECIDES

Of course I wouldn't want this to impinge upon the GF Tournament that still appears to be dragging on, however I'm sure that a bit of pre-tournament organisation, nominations and ground rules can be fiddled with now.

1. It is "pudding", not "dessert".

2. The cheese-board is not allowed to enter, due to it's lack of sugar. Crappy Hovis biscuits don't count. This is not to say that cheese and biscuits isn't one of the finest creations on earth, but it is an entirely different course, one to be enjoyed before retiring with brandy and cigars.

3. No-one is allowed to say "It depends on when I have it" - yes, a nice fruit scone with clotted cream and fresh strawberries is more suited to a warm summers afternoon than a steaming hot sticky-toffee pudding slathered in vanilla-infused custard, however is it better? There is no room for sentimentality where pudding wars are concerned.

I shall start an alternative thread for nominations.

Ladies and gentlemen, your pudding needs you.

Don't piss about, Sticky Toffee Pudding, the only pudding you will ever need.

You, sir, have obviously never experienced the knee-trembler of the pudding world known as "Proper Homemade Tiramisu". As such I shall allow you your error on the grounds of ignorance.

Guest TK-421
1. It is "pudding", not "dessert".

Like bollocks it is. "Pudding" is a type of dessert, e.g sticky toffee pudding, dessert is the generic and therefore prevails. Try going in to a swish restaurant, say McDonalds, and asking for a pudding spoon. You'd get laughed out of town.

Like bollocks it is. "Pudding" is a type of dessert, e.g sticky toffee pudding, dessert is the generic and therefore prevails. Try going in to a swish restaurant, say McDonalds, and asking for a pudding spoon. You'd get laughed out of town.

I have been educated by some of the finest situation comedies available on your many and varied televisual channels, and I can say with some impunity that whenever there is a dazed old man with a beard who requires further sustenance after his main course he will cry "Where's me pudding?".

As I can see myself being that old man in due course, I shall take lessons in semantics from him, rather than you fancy-dan, city-slicker, legal-types who are able to eat at salubrious establishments such as the one mentioned above.

• 16 years later...