You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Alot of people seem to misunderstand the all being dead part.

The flash sideways seen this season was basically them in purgatory/limbo.

They did not all die in the end of the show, as explained some of them died years apart from each other.

As for Walt and Michael, Walt apparently hit puberty and got too old/mature for his role on the show whatever the hell that means.

Michael died on the freighter and was stuck in purgatory on the island until he was set free, and hence had already moved on, so i guess it wouldnt have made sense to have him in the flash sideways/purgatory world since he had already moved on from that.

It means a 6 foot 10 year old would seem out of place, remember when Locke saw him when they left the island and he was massive then.

You're right about the rest, a lot of people on the plane weren't in the Church at the end.

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It means a 6 foot 10 year old would seem out of place, remember when Locke saw him when they left the island and he was massive then.

You're right about the rest, a lot of people on the plane weren't in the Church at the end.

Would like to know what they had intended for Walt though, he was supposedly special somehow.

There's supposed to be a blue ray disc coming out where they will anwser questions that was not anwsered during the show.

Maybe some more island history and what not.

Alot of people seem to misunderstand the all being dead part.

The flash sideways seen this season was basically them in purgatory/limbo.

So what was all that time travel shite about then if not about setting up time-lines and whatnot? Why was Faradays mother in "purgatory" along with them?

It just seems like a total fucking cop out to me. And doesn't really tie in with what the rest of the show was.

and Echo? What the fuck happened to Echo

Echo was a fucking Leg

In fact no Echo, no Walt and no Michael in the church at the end?

Does this means negros can't move on? or were they in the baptist church down the road having a smaller leaving do?

And not a single bender in the whole series?

what's going on there? in this day and age?

Your take on these spikey PC issues please Sabbathfan?

So what was all that time travel shite about then if not about setting up time-lines and whatnot? Why was Faradays mother in "purgatory" along with them?

It just seems like a total fucking cop out to me. And doesn't really tie in with what the rest of the show was.

It was their purgatory that they created together, if it was Faradays mother "real" soul in purgatory with them, or just a figure of their collective dead imagination, dont really matter as far as i see it.

The time travel helped with alot of things i'd say and i'd also say it tied in with the rest of the show..

It explained alot about the island, dharma, what happened and how the main characters of the show affected what happened both in the past and present.

Walt may still be alive, considering he was the youngest

As Christian said, time in purgatory is constant or rather non existant, meaning everyone who ever lived and will ever live exist in purgatory or the after life. The losties in purgatory was there together as the time they spent together was the most important time of their lives.

Walt was not in the purgatory church because his time on the island with the other characters was not the most important time of his life, i guess.

Here is the article. If it doesn't shut a fair few naysayers up then that's their own damn problem:

First ...

The Island:

It was real. Everything that happened on the island that we saw throughout the 6 seasons was real. Forget the final image of the plane crash, it was put in purposely to f*&k with people's heads and show how far the show had come. They really crashed. They really survived. They really discovered Dharma and the Others. The Island keeps the balance of good and evil in the world. It always has and always will perform that role. And the Island will always need a "Protector". Jacob wasn't the first, Hurley won't be the last. However, Jacob had to deal with a malevolent force (MIB) that his mother, nor Hurley had to deal with. He created the devil and had to find a way to kill him -- even though the rules prevented him from actually doing so.

Thus began Jacob's plan to bring candidates to the Island to do the one thing he couldn't do. Kill the MIB. He had a huge list of candidates that spanned generations. Yet everytime he brought people there, the MIB corrupted them and caused them to kill one another. That was until Richard came along and helped Jacob understand that if he didn't take a more active role, then his plan would never work.

Enter Dharma -- which I'm not sure why John is having such a hard time grasping. Dharma, like the countless scores of people that were brought to the island before, were brought there by Jacob as part of his plan to kill the MIB. However, the MIB was aware of this plan and interferred by "corrupting" Ben. Making Ben believe he was doing the work of Jacob when in reality he was doing the work of the MIB. This carried over into all of Ben's "off-island" activities. He was the leader. He spoke for Jacob as far as they were concerned. So the "Others" killed Dharma and later were actively trying to kill Jack, Kate, Sawyer, Hurley and all the candidates because that's what the MIB wanted. And what he couldn't do for himself.

Dharma was originally brought in to be good. But was turned bad by MIB's corruption and eventually destroyed by his pawn Ben. Now, was Dharma only brought there to help Jack and the other Canditates on their overall quest to kill Smokey? Or did Jacob have another list of Canidates from the Dharma group that we were never aware of? That's a question that is purposley not answered because whatever answer the writers came up with would be worse than the one you come up with for yourself. Still ... Dharma's purpose is not "pointless" or even vague. Hell, it's pretty blantent.

Still, despite his grand plan, Jacob wanted to give his "candidates" (our Lostaways) the one thing he, nor his brother, were ever afforded: free will. Hence him bringing a host of "candidates" through the decades and letting them "choose" which one would actually do the job in the end. Maybe he knew Jack would be the one to kill Flocke and that Hurley would be the protector in the end. Maybe he didn't. But that was always the key question of the show: Fate vs Free-will. Science vs Faith. Personally I think Jacob knew from the beginning what was going to happen and that everyone played a part over 6 seasons in helping Jack get to the point where he needed to be to kill Smokey and make Hurley the protector -- I know that's how a lot of the writers viewed it. But again, they won't answer that (nor should they) because that ruins the fun.

In the end, Jack got to do what he always wanted to do from the very first episode of the show: Save his fellow Lostaways. He got Kate and Sawyer off the island and he gave Hurley the purpose in life he'd always been missing. And, in Sideways world (which we'll get to next) he in fact saved everyone by helping them all move on ...

Now...

Sideways World:

Sideways world is where it gets really cool in terms of theology and metaphysical discussion (for me at least -- because I love history/religion theories and loved all the talks in the writer's room about it). Basically what the show is proposing is that we're all linked to certain people during our lives. Call them soulmates (though it's not exactly the best word). But these people we're linked to are with us duing "the most important moments of our lives" as Christian said. These are the people we move through the universe with from lifetime to lifetime. It's loosely based in Hinduisim with large doses of western religion thrown into the mix.

The conceit that the writers created, basing it off these religious philosophies, was that as a group, the Lostaways subconsciously created this "sideways" world where they exist in purgatory until they are "awakened" and find one another. Once they all find one another, they can then move on and move forward. In essence, this is the show's concept of the afterlife. According to the show, everyone creates their own "Sideways" purgatory with their "soulmates" throughout their lives and exist there until they all move on together. That's a beautiful notion. Even if you aren't religious or even spirtual, the idea that we live AND die together is deeply profound and moving.

It's a really cool and spirtual concept that fits the whole tone and subtext the show has had from the beginning. These people were SUPPOSED to be together on that plane. They were supposed to live through these events -- not JUST because of Jacob. But because that's what the universe or God (depending on how religious you wish to get) wanted to happen. The show was always about science vs faith -- and it ultimately came down on the side of faith. It answered THE core question of the series. The one question that has been at the root of every island mystery, every character backstory, every plot twist. That, by itself, is quite an accomplishment.

How much you want to extrapolate from that is up to you as the viewer. Think about season 1 when we first found the Hatch. Everyone thought that's THE answer! Whatever is down there is the answer! Then, as we discovered it was just one station of many. One link in a very long chain that kept revealing more, and more of a larger mosiac.

But the writer's took it even further this season by contrasting this Sideways "purgatory" with the Island itself. Remember when Michael appeared to Hurley, he said he was not allowed to leave the Island. Just like the MIB. He wasn't allowed into this sideways world and thus, was not afforded the opportunity to move on. Why? Because he had proven himself to be unworthy with his actions on the Island. He failed the test. The others, passed. They made it into Sideways world when they died -- some before Jack, some years later. In Hurley's case, maybe centuries later. They exist in this sideways world until they are "awakened" and they can only move on TOGETHER because they are linked. They are destined to be together for eternity. That was their destiny.

They were NOT linked to Anna Lucia, Daniel, Roussou, Alex, Miles, Lupidis, (and all the rest who weren't in the chuch -- basically everyone who wasn't in season 1). Yet those people exist in Sideways world. Why? Well again, here's where they leave it up to you to decide. The way I like to think about it, is that those people who were left behind in Sideways world have to find their own soulmates before they can wake up. It's possible that those links aren't people from the island but from their other life (Anna's parnter, the guy she shot --- Roussou's husband, etc etc).

A lot of people have been talking about Ben and why he didn't go into the Church. And if you think of Sideways world in this way, then it gives you the answer to that very question. Ben can't move on yet because he hasn't connected with the people he needs to. It's going to be his job to awaken Roussou, Alex, Anna Lucia (maybe), Ethan, Goodspeed, his father and the rest. He has to attone for his sins more than he did by being Hurley's number two. He has to do what Hurley and Desmond did for our Lostaways with his own people. He has to help them connect. And he can only move on when all the links in his chain are ready to. Same can be said for Faraday, Charlotte, Whidmore, Hawkins etc. It's really a neat, and cool concept. At least to me.

But, from a more "behind the scenes" note: the reason Ben's not in the church, and the reason no one is in the church but for Season 1 people is because they wrote the ending to the show after writing the pilot. And never changed it. The writers always said (and many didn't believe them) that they knew their ending from the very first episode. I applaud them for that. It's pretty fantastic. Originally Ben was supposed to have a 3 episode arc and be done. But he became a big part of the show. They could have easily changed their ending and put him in the church -- but instead they problem solved it. Gave him a BRILLIANT moment with Locke outside the church ... and then that was it. I loved that. For those that wonder -- the original ending started the moment Jack walked into the church and touches the casket to Jack closing his eyes as the other plane flies away. That was always JJ's ending. And they kept it.

For me the ending of this show means a lot. Not only because I worked on it, but because as a writer it inspired me in a way the medium had never done before. I've been inspired to write by great films. Maybe too many to count. And there have been amazing TV shows that I've loved (X-Files, 24, Sopranos, countless 1/2 hour shows). But none did what LOST did for me. None showed me that you could take huge risks (writing a show about faith for network TV) and stick to your creative guns and STILL please the audience. I learned a lot from the show as a writer. I learned even more from being around the incredible writers, producers, PAs, interns and everyone else who slaved on the show for 6 years.

In the end, for me, LOST was a touchstone show that dealt with faith, the afterlife, and all these big, spirtual questions that most shows don't touch. And to me, they never once waivered from their core story -- even with all the sci-fi elements they mixed in. To walk that long and daunting of a creative tightrope and survive is simply astounding.

and Echo? What the fuck happened to Echo

Echo was a fucking Leg

In fact no Echo, no Walt and no Michael in the church at the end?

Does this means negros can't move on? or were they in the baptist church down the road having a smaller leaving do?

And not a single bender in the whole series?

what's going on there? in this day and age?

Your take on these spikey PC issues please Sabbathfan?

I believe the issues of Michael and Eko are answered in the article above. Walt was far too fucking big and there is no way he could have been in that church without his dad. So he can't be at peace without Libby but his dad doesn't matter? Come on. Walt is tied to Michael forever. Also Rose was there so there is no racial bias.

As for the gay question, I think of it thus:

No man on that island, surrounded by those women, could possibly stay gay.

Now I have calmed down after the twatting spoilers, I think this...

The ending was perfect in my opinion. Yeah, there were a few little things that remain a mystery but that is a good thing and a large part of what Lost was all about. I was left feeling very fulfilled by the ending and that is something that rarely happens when it comes to TV shows.

I was expecting a complete flop of an ending but I'm absolutely delighted.

10/10

Now I have calmed down after the twatting spoilers, I think this...

The ending was perfect in my opinion. Yeah, there were a few little things that remain a mystery but that is a good thing and a large part of what Lost was all about. I was left feeling very fulfilled by the ending and that is something that rarely happens when it comes to TV shows.

I was expecting a complete flop of an ending but I'm absolutely delighted.

10/10

You knew basically what was gonna happen before you watched the finale right? that they were in purgatory but the island was real?

Maybe it helped you in a way cos after i watched it i did'nt feel i knew 100% what happened till i watched it again and looked around for some explanations which i guess alot of people experienced.

Still would've liked a bit more explanation about why the smoke monster was a smoke monster after falling into the light. Why there was a giant statue there? And here's one, why was the island underwater in purgatory?

Well any questions on purgatory are easy. The island was underwater because the souls of the Losties wanted it to be. They made that world to their own specifications.

The Giant Statue is evidence of an early civilisation which I don't think had any bearing on the series as a whole so there was no need to include them as they probably pre-dated any character in it.

As I've said to many people all over the net and in real life, if they gave an explanation on how the light made MiB Smokey it would sound tremendously silly to anyone with half a brain. You would have hated the explanation no matter what it was.

What did Whidmore really want? Why zap Desmond in that box? Why did the Others dress up like hillbillies?

And I don't want to know what turned him into black smoke? Course I do, he's a major protagonist, I want to know why black smoke and what caused it, that's interesting to me.

What did Whidmore really want? Why zap Desmond in that box? Why did the Others dress up like hillbillies?

And I don't want to know what turned him into black smoke? Course I do, he's a major protagonist, I want to know why black smoke and what caused it, that's interesting to me.

It is interesting to me as well but I know it would cheapen it. It wouldn't make sense. There is literally no explanation they could give where you could go "Yeah, I see how that works". They'd probably be embarrassed to write it and I for one would be embarrassed to hear it.

I may be well off here, but to me Widmore was another Ben Linus. He was trying to do Jacob's will. He brought Desmond back as a last resort to defeat MiB. He zapped him to make sure he could withstand the electromagnetism. I'm guessing that was so Desmond could go to the source and switch it off. But I doubt Widmore knew the whole story. Or maybe he did.

The Others dressed like hillbillies to hide their more sophisticated lifestyle from the Losties.

Found this. It seems to answer some of the questions in the simplest way possible. Not all of them, but some.

1. What is the Island? A “cork” that holds back evil from the world.

2. What happens if evil escapes? The world ends.

3. How? Doesn’t matter. It ends. Evil wins. Can’t let that happen.

4. So what was going in with the island while the cork was out? It was being destroyed. The “Evil” was escapee and destroying the world. Starting first with what was closest to it; The Island. Possibly, had the cork not been put back the spread of destruction would have continued until the world was gone all together. So think of it was when the plane took off, they would never find a place to land because everything would be gone.

4. What is “The Light”/”The Source”? Its the source of good and evil. Essentialy it’s life and death incarnate.

5. What happens when you touch “The Source”? Depends on what kind of person you are. Evil from “The Source” incarnate MIB’s body because he was evil and took the form of the smoke monster.

6. Why didn’t Demond die touching the Source? He was immune to large amounts of electromagnetism due to his experience in the hatch.

7. Why didn’t Jack die touching the Source? He sacrificed himself to the Island. The island accepted him as sacrifice for good so he was able to survive the sources attempt to take over him.

8. Who is Jacob? Jacob is the Protector of “The Source”. He has many mysterious powers that are suppose to aid him in his duty.

9. What does that mean exactly? It means its his job is to make sure not only does the Source not escape into the world, but people can not find it either. If they do, they become infected with whatever side of the Source they are more relatable with. It they are good they wouldn’t be after the light to begin so it’s never reacted that way to someone. If they are bad, Evil from the source consumes them.

10. Who is the MIB? The Man In Black, is Jacob’s twin brother.

11. Why is he Evil? Jacob made him touch the Source and evil consumed him.

12. Why does he want to leave the island. His human form wanted to leave, when he was consumed and transformed into the smoke monster his memories are still a part of him. Now he is just a smoke monster but still with the urge to leave the island.

13. Why can’t he leave? Rules set in place by various protectors. These rules are the only constant within the Lost universe. They must be followed.

14. What happens if they aren’t followed? It doesn’t matter. They simply can’t be broken just like the laws of gravity.

15. Why did Flocke (Monster in locke form) want Desmond to open the cork? He thought that it would reset the rules and hed be allowed to leave.

16. Why did Jack want Desmond to open the cork? He thought that it would help him defeat the monster.

17. Who was right/wrong? They were both right and wrong. Flocke was right because it did reset the rules. But wrong because it made him vulnerable. Jack was right because it did help him defeat the monster. But wrong because the open cork was destroying the world.

18. How did the Monster become vulnerable? With the open cork, the Source was escaping. The Source within the MIB left his body to join the escaping source. Making him human again and in the form of whomever he was in that moment; Locke.

19. Why couldn’t the smoke monster fly off the Island? Two reasons; the rules and because he can’t fly over water. Much like hover boards.

20. Why can’t the monster kill candidates? The rules and because Jacob touched them. Leaving part of him inside them. And since the MIB can’t kill Jacob, he can’t kill Jacob’s Candidates.

21. What is a candidate? Jacob’s band of people who he has chosen to replace him. Any one of them can step in take the job.

22. With Jacob dead, why can’t the Smoke Monster leave. Part of Jacob is alive in the remaining candidates.

23. Who are the Others? Inhabitants on the Island.

24. Why do they Others hate the 815ers? Because they threaten their lifestyle. Simple as that. Same reason the Others massacred the Dharma Initiative?

25. Who are the Dharma Initiative? Researchers and Scientists who in the 70‘s studied the island’s different scientific properties.

26. Why does the island have these properties? Defects of the Source.

27. Who is Widmore? Widmore used to be the Leader of the Others.

28. Why does he want the Island so bad? He wants power, people want what they can’t have, and because he wants revenge on Ben for banishing him.

29. Who is Ben? Ben was a leader of the Others. He was once the son of a member of the Dharma Initiative but after turning evil, grew up and led the massacre against them. \

30. Why is Ben evil? He was submerged into the water at the temple. The water saved his life, but made him mostly evil.

31. Why does the water at the temple make people Evil? Effect from the Source.

32. Who built _______? The foot statue, the temple, etc. Doesn’t matter. It’s not important to the story.

33. Who built the Stations? The Dharma initiative. Each station has a different reason for being. Some for study some for other reasons.

34. What is the Swan Hatch? A Dharma Initiative Station built in order to harness and hatch a electromagnet pocket beneath the ground of the island.

35. Why was Desmond in the Hatch? He was shipwrecked on the Island and rescued by a grandfathered Dharma Initiative member who taught him to push the button in the Hatch and then attempted to escape the Island without telling Desmond. Desmond killed him leaving him the sole person to push the botton.

36. What happens when the button isn’t pushed. Electromagnetic energy starts to escape. This also causes an EMP blast.

37. Why did light 815 crash? Desmond failed to push the button just as the plane flew over the island. The EMP caused the crash.

38. What is the donkey wheel? Its a turn table that is linked to the Source of the island. It activates random functions whenever turned. It’s only constant is that it teleports whomever turned it to a desert in Syberia (or wherever).

39. Why did ben turn the Wheel? He thought it would move the Island and help them escape temporarily Widmore and his freighter of bandits.

40. What did it really do? It caused the Island and its current (the people on the island during the wheel turn) to start jumping back and forth through time. This as fatal effect on people causing Charlotte to die.

41. If the Island was jumping through time, why did it dissappear? The island is always moving. Lets say the island was near australia when the wheel was turned. And it jumped to 1980 during its first cycle. And it 1980 the island was near africa. Instantly the island jumped back in time and location to wherever it is in 1980.

42. Why did Locke turn the Wheel? He thought it would take him off the island.

43. What did it do? It took him off the island but also stopped the time jumping and its fatal effect. Leaving the Losties in/wherever the island was after one final flash. 1976 circa.

44. Why did the Oceanic 6 have to return to the island? Ben didn’t know him turning the wheel fixed the time flashes. He thought he needed to bring everyone back in order to fix it. He told them they needed to come back.

45. Why did 5 of the Oceanic 6 come back to the Island? They each had different reason. Jack; thought he had to save the island. Kate; to find Claire. Sun; to find Jin. Hurley; felt guilty about lying and leaving everyone behind. Sayiid; was dragged back by Illana under orders from Jacob.

46. Why couldn’t they go back individually? Simple, the Island wouldn’t allow it. Everyoen needed to come back. Needed to come back together. Much like a security alarm code. The circumastances needed to be right. Hence why Hurley had a guitar and why Locke and Ben came back.

47. Why didn’t Aaron need to come back? Simple, it wasn’t his destiny. The Island simply didn’t need or want him.

48. What is the important of Walt and why is he special? He’s not. He was probably once a candidate but thats about it. Forget about him.

49. What happened when the bomb went off? Nothing. It released the pocket of Electromagnetic Force and the Dharma Initiative built the Hatch in oder to house it. There was no alternate time line created because that is what happened. The Losties where always part of the reason the hatch was built. Like the words in a book, things are the way the are and there is nothing that can be done to change the past or future. The only thing it did was expose them to the Electromagnetic Force and send them back to present time where they belong.

50. What are the side flashes? Purgatory. Everyone in the side flashes are either people stuck in between life and after life because they have not accepted their death or life OR are imaginary people made up by the people in purgatory that they interact with. This means Jack’s son, is a made up image created by the purgatory Jack and Juliette.

51. Why are things in the side flashes the way they are, (like jack having a son, Hurley being successful, and the island being sunk) ? Because the minds of the purgatory people made it that way. Essentially, the world they created with purgatory is their perfect world.

52. Why were people in the Church at the end and what happened to them? Everyone in the Church were the purgatory incarnations of those whose lives revolved around the Island or people on the Island. The island was the most important part of their lives and now that they are dead they had never had closure with with the Island. They had to come together to remember and cope with what happened on the Island in order to move on. They all moved on to the afterlife, whatever you think that means.

53. Why wasn’t Ben in the Church? He wasn’t Ready to move on.

54. Why wasn’t Ana Lucia in the Church? She wasn’t ready to move on maybe her life didn’t revolve around the island it wasn’t what she needed to cope with in purgatory.

55. Why wasn’t Walt in the Church? His life didn’t revolve around the Island. Maybe his purgatory is him accepting the death of his parents. Or maybe he never went to purgatory.

56. If Sawyer, Desmond, Hurley, etc are alive at the end of the show. Why are they in the side flashes? Because they died eventually. The side flashes aren’t happening at the same time as real life. Think of it as a GIGANTIC flash forward taking place after everyone involved has died. So far into the future that even Hurley and and Ben are dead.

So Kate's perfect world is one where she's a fugitive?

No, in this world she never killed her dad and she keeps bumping into claire and helping her, which she made a point of in life after she took Aaron.

This isn't their perfect world. This is a place where they have the chance to right some of the wrongs they did in life. A place where the can do things they never had the chance to in life. Sawyer upholding the law instead of breaking it. Jack having a son. Blah, blah. I doubt in anyone's perfect world their father killed their mother or they are separated from their wife.