You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Found this. It seems to answer some of the questions in the simplest way possible. Not all of them, but some.

1. What is the Island? A “cork” that holds back evil from the world.

2. What happens if evil escapes? The world ends.

3. How? Doesn’t matter. It ends. Evil wins. Can’t let that happen.

4. So what was going in with the island while the cork was out? It was being destroyed. The “Evil” was escapee and destroying the world. Starting first with what was closest to it; The Island. Possibly, had the cork not been put back the spread of destruction would have continued until the world was gone all together. So think of it was when the plane took off, they would never find a place to land because everything would be gone.

4. What is “The Light”/”The Source”? Its the source of good and evil. Essentialy it’s life and death incarnate.

5. What happens when you touch “The Source”? Depends on what kind of person you are. Evil from “The Source” incarnate MIB’s body because he was evil and took the form of the smoke monster.

6. Why didn’t Demond die touching the Source? He was immune to large amounts of electromagnetism due to his experience in the hatch.

7. Why didn’t Jack die touching the Source? He sacrificed himself to the Island. The island accepted him as sacrifice for good so he was able to survive the sources attempt to take over him.

8. Who is Jacob? Jacob is the Protector of “The Source”. He has many mysterious powers that are suppose to aid him in his duty.

9. What does that mean exactly? It means its his job is to make sure not only does the Source not escape into the world, but people can not find it either. If they do, they become infected with whatever side of the Source they are more relatable with. It they are good they wouldn’t be after the light to begin so it’s never reacted that way to someone. If they are bad, Evil from the source consumes them.

10. Who is the MIB? The Man In Black, is Jacob’s twin brother.

11. Why is he Evil? Jacob made him touch the Source and evil consumed him.

12. Why does he want to leave the island. His human form wanted to leave, when he was consumed and transformed into the smoke monster his memories are still a part of him. Now he is just a smoke monster but still with the urge to leave the island.

13. Why can’t he leave? Rules set in place by various protectors. These rules are the only constant within the Lost universe. They must be followed.

14. What happens if they aren’t followed? It doesn’t matter. They simply can’t be broken just like the laws of gravity.

15. Why did Flocke (Monster in locke form) want Desmond to open the cork? He thought that it would reset the rules and hed be allowed to leave.

16. Why did Jack want Desmond to open the cork? He thought that it would help him defeat the monster.

17. Who was right/wrong? They were both right and wrong. Flocke was right because it did reset the rules. But wrong because it made him vulnerable. Jack was right because it did help him defeat the monster. But wrong because the open cork was destroying the world.

18. How did the Monster become vulnerable? With the open cork, the Source was escaping. The Source within the MIB left his body to join the escaping source. Making him human again and in the form of whomever he was in that moment; Locke.

19. Why couldn’t the smoke monster fly off the Island? Two reasons; the rules and because he can’t fly over water. Much like hover boards.

20. Why can’t the monster kill candidates? The rules and because Jacob touched them. Leaving part of him inside them. And since the MIB can’t kill Jacob, he can’t kill Jacob’s Candidates.

21. What is a candidate? Jacob’s band of people who he has chosen to replace him. Any one of them can step in take the job.

22. With Jacob dead, why can’t the Smoke Monster leave. Part of Jacob is alive in the remaining candidates.

23. Who are the Others? Inhabitants on the Island.

24. Why do they Others hate the 815ers? Because they threaten their lifestyle. Simple as that. Same reason the Others massacred the Dharma Initiative?

25. Who are the Dharma Initiative? Researchers and Scientists who in the 70‘s studied the island’s different scientific properties.

26. Why does the island have these properties? Defects of the Source.

27. Who is Widmore? Widmore used to be the Leader of the Others.

28. Why does he want the Island so bad? He wants power, people want what they can’t have, and because he wants revenge on Ben for banishing him.

29. Who is Ben? Ben was a leader of the Others. He was once the son of a member of the Dharma Initiative but after turning evil, grew up and led the massacre against them. \

30. Why is Ben evil? He was submerged into the water at the temple. The water saved his life, but made him mostly evil.

31. Why does the water at the temple make people Evil? Effect from the Source.

32. Who built _______? The foot statue, the temple, etc. Doesn’t matter. It’s not important to the story.

33. Who built the Stations? The Dharma initiative. Each station has a different reason for being. Some for study some for other reasons.

34. What is the Swan Hatch? A Dharma Initiative Station built in order to harness and hatch a electromagnet pocket beneath the ground of the island.

35. Why was Desmond in the Hatch? He was shipwrecked on the Island and rescued by a grandfathered Dharma Initiative member who taught him to push the button in the Hatch and then attempted to escape the Island without telling Desmond. Desmond killed him leaving him the sole person to push the botton.

36. What happens when the button isn’t pushed. Electromagnetic energy starts to escape. This also causes an EMP blast.

37. Why did light 815 crash? Desmond failed to push the button just as the plane flew over the island. The EMP caused the crash.

38. What is the donkey wheel? Its a turn table that is linked to the Source of the island. It activates random functions whenever turned. It’s only constant is that it teleports whomever turned it to a desert in Syberia (or wherever).

39. Why did ben turn the Wheel? He thought it would move the Island and help them escape temporarily Widmore and his freighter of bandits.

40. What did it really do? It caused the Island and its current (the people on the island during the wheel turn) to start jumping back and forth through time. This as fatal effect on people causing Charlotte to die.

41. If the Island was jumping through time, why did it dissappear? The island is always moving. Lets say the island was near australia when the wheel was turned. And it jumped to 1980 during its first cycle. And it 1980 the island was near africa. Instantly the island jumped back in time and location to wherever it is in 1980.

42. Why did Locke turn the Wheel? He thought it would take him off the island.

43. What did it do? It took him off the island but also stopped the time jumping and its fatal effect. Leaving the Losties in/wherever the island was after one final flash. 1976 circa.

44. Why did the Oceanic 6 have to return to the island? Ben didn’t know him turning the wheel fixed the time flashes. He thought he needed to bring everyone back in order to fix it. He told them they needed to come back.

45. Why did 5 of the Oceanic 6 come back to the Island? They each had different reason. Jack; thought he had to save the island. Kate; to find Claire. Sun; to find Jin. Hurley; felt guilty about lying and leaving everyone behind. Sayiid; was dragged back by Illana under orders from Jacob.

46. Why couldn’t they go back individually? Simple, the Island wouldn’t allow it. Everyoen needed to come back. Needed to come back together. Much like a security alarm code. The circumastances needed to be right. Hence why Hurley had a guitar and why Locke and Ben came back.

47. Why didn’t Aaron need to come back? Simple, it wasn’t his destiny. The Island simply didn’t need or want him.

48. What is the important of Walt and why is he special? He’s not. He was probably once a candidate but thats about it. Forget about him.

49. What happened when the bomb went off? Nothing. It released the pocket of Electromagnetic Force and the Dharma Initiative built the Hatch in oder to house it. There was no alternate time line created because that is what happened. The Losties where always part of the reason the hatch was built. Like the words in a book, things are the way the are and there is nothing that can be done to change the past or future. The only thing it did was expose them to the Electromagnetic Force and send them back to present time where they belong.

50. What are the side flashes? Purgatory. Everyone in the side flashes are either people stuck in between life and after life because they have not accepted their death or life OR are imaginary people made up by the people in purgatory that they interact with. This means Jack’s son, is a made up image created by the purgatory Jack and Juliette.

51. Why are things in the side flashes the way they are, (like jack having a son, Hurley being successful, and the island being sunk) ? Because the minds of the purgatory people made it that way. Essentially, the world they created with purgatory is their perfect world.

52. Why were people in the Church at the end and what happened to them? Everyone in the Church were the purgatory incarnations of those whose lives revolved around the Island or people on the Island. The island was the most important part of their lives and now that they are dead they had never had closure with with the Island. They had to come together to remember and cope with what happened on the Island in order to move on. They all moved on to the afterlife, whatever you think that means.

53. Why wasn’t Ben in the Church? He wasn’t Ready to move on.

54. Why wasn’t Ana Lucia in the Church? She wasn’t ready to move on maybe her life didn’t revolve around the island it wasn’t what she needed to cope with in purgatory.

55. Why wasn’t Walt in the Church? His life didn’t revolve around the Island. Maybe his purgatory is him accepting the death of his parents. Or maybe he never went to purgatory.

56. If Sawyer, Desmond, Hurley, etc are alive at the end of the show. Why are they in the side flashes? Because they died eventually. The side flashes aren’t happening at the same time as real life. Think of it as a GIGANTIC flash forward taking place after everyone involved has died. So far into the future that even Hurley and and Ben are dead.

I feel even better now that I didn't watch any of this shite!

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just watched Lost: The Final Journey on Sky.

Excellent summary of the show from start to finish with the main characters talking about themselves, along with the writers and why the show went on the direction that it did.

If anyone hasn't seen this yet, it's repeated on Sky 1 & 2 on bank holiday Monday at 11pm.

Just watching the finale again. I wasn't sure at first but after due consideration, I have to agree it was a fab ending. It hit a perfect balance between conclusion and imagination.

Well done sabbathfan as well for providing loads of really interesting analysis material.

What a journey! Up there with the best of all time. In fact, is it the best serialised drama of all time? I can't think of any that best it just now.

Just thought of a question: after the cork is removed and MiB seemingly loses his smokey powers (hence the blood after being hit by Jack), does that mean, at this point, that the world is no longer under the threat of his evil? If so, that would mean that his subsequent killing by Kate/Jack is only of symbolic import - the world had already been saved because he'd misunderstood the consequences of the rules being re-set.

I'm probably missing something am I?

Watched (and thoroughly enjoyed) the first 3 seasons in a big fat weekend-shaped chunk about four years ago and then just lost interest waiting for weekly torrents of the fourth. Judging by the Sky Lost Finale documentary on earlier and that spoilerific post up there I've saved myself hours and hours of my life. It's just nonsense.

Just thought of a question: after the cork is removed and MiB seemingly loses his smokey powers (hence the blood after being hit by Jack), does that mean, at this point, that the world is no longer under the threat of his evil? If so, that would mean that his subsequent killing by Kate/Jack is only of symbolic import - the world had already been saved because he'd misunderstood the consequences of the rules being re-set.

I'm probably missing something am I?

I read something which I thought gave a decent, if somewhat too sptiritualistic, explanation. Not sure how much I agree with it but here it is:

"Brother Buttonpusher was lowered into the mythic bowels (The Golden Bough-els?) of The Island. He found skeletons of the Source-seeking sojourners who had come before him — one of several moments Lost gave us in the finale that suggested rich pockets of untold story that we will never, ever be told. (Also see: The Secret Case Files Of Island Honcho Hurley And Sidekick Ben. I see spin-off!) He found a carrot-shaped obelisk jammed into a hole at the bottom of a reflecting pool. Radiant energy emanating from below the Earth (or just existing naturally in the cave? I couldn't tell) filled the cavern and formed a cone around the plug. The light should have ripped the smokey soul out of his body. But Desmond, uniquely immune to fantasy story mystical hoo-ha, remained intact as an integrated spiritual/material unit. He yanked on the stone. The warm and buttery radiance faded. The unsealed chasm glowed with wine-red anger. Desmond's face went uh-oh. It was as if Father Failsafe had turned off heaven and unleashed hell; it was as if he had shut down the spiritual operating system of reality. As a consequence, an old curse lost its power. The Man In Black, bonded to The Island since childhood and robbed of his body by his brother's coil-stripping blunder some 2,000 years earlier, was finally unchained from his tropical ball and got his humanity back. But in the process, MIB also turned into something that Jack could murder; the angry old man became exclusively and perilously human, wholly flesh and blood. In that protracted moment in which evil was allowed to hold sway, I think everyone — the castaways; possibly all life in the world — lost their souls. In ''The End,'' the struggle wasn't just between life and death — it was a struggle to preserve the promise of eternity from a new modality of total annihilation.

Let's pause and do some math and come to a conclusion about a mystery/question that was not explicitly spelled out in the finale. We've been told for many episodes that if the Monster left The Island, the castaways and their loved ones would cease to exist. I took this to mean that if Fake Locke got away, reality would go POOF! Instead, this is how I add it up:

1. In the Lost world, people are an inextricable blend of matter and spirit.

2. Fake Locke was all spirit — an unnatural state of being. But it made him invulnerable, because spirit is indestructible.

3. To kill Fake Locke, you had to either restore him to his natural state of matter and spirit... or convert him from all spirit to all matter, which is to say, a completely mechanical animal, and thus killable.

4. The rub is that to the procedure renders everyone into mechanical animals, which is to say, devoid of a soul.

5.Without the soul, we cannot pass into the next life or into the afterlife without our community of redemption partners — the people we love.

6. Fake Locke wanted to leave The Island.

7. Fake Locke was bonded to The Island by Island magic.

8. The same procedure required to break that spell (i.e., destroying The Island) is the same procedure that would convert Fake Locke and everyone into soulless zombies incapable of having a happily ever after with our loved ones (i.e., your community of redemption partners) because we need our souls to move into the afterlife.

9. Hence: Fake Locke leaving The Island = Annihilation (when you die) for you and everyone you love.

This makes total sense, yes?

Desmond yanked The Island's chain. Spiritual lockout commenced. The Island suffered mightily during this cataclysm; slopes of this promised land slid into the ocean like tears down the face of that Native American guy in those old pick-up-your-litter-dammit! conservation commercials. Jack and Locke fought like beasts on the rumbling rocks near the ocean — like Nolte and De Niro in Cape Fear. Fake Locke reached for his knife and jammed it into Jack's side — a spear wound for the would-be Island Christ. Fake Locke straddled Jack. Fake Locke put the knife to Jack's throat and drew blood. (Now we know the origin of Sideways Jack's neck nick — and, I think, Sideways Jack's alleged appendix scar, which was actually a scar from Fake Locke's skewering. We now see that all season long, Jack's own body had been screaming at him: Soul Sleeper, Awaken!)

Jack was a goner. Enter the dark horse hero; enter Kate. The fugitive rediscovered her self-righteous murdering mojo (thank you uncorked malevolence!) and put the Monster down with a shotgun blast. ''I saved a bullet for you,'' she quipped. [Eff] yeah! Then Jack rose to his feet and gave Fake Locke the Anthony Cooper heave-ho and punted his sack of stolen-ass off a cliff, sending Man-Thing to his back-cracking doom. Dammit if that crunch didn't feel cathartically good. Call it: Breaking Bad, Lost style.

Then the bill came due. Because you see, when you fight true evil with necessary evil, it's still evil. And evil has a cost. This is the great lesson of our post-9/11 era — at least, per The Gospel According to Jack Bauer. The Island continued to convulse like a dying man in his death throes. It could be healed — but it needed a sacrifice. And so Jack the Island shepherd continued along the inevitable stages of his Passion journey. Jack ceded guardianship of The Island to a reluctant Hurley; they shared communion in a dirty water bottle. He descended. He put the cork back in the crack of Hell. The waterfall began to flow anew, and spiritual light returned to The Island and by extension to all mankind. Jack sat there with his sucking wound and his joyous grin The Source enveloped him in its cozy, spirit-stripping glow. Zoinks! Me To The TV: GOOD GOD JACK GET OFF UP OF YOUR GIGGLING ASS BEFORE THE HOLY WORMHOLE TURNS YOU INTO SMOKE... "

And the whole 7 page article for anyone wanting a perusal.

'Lost' finale recap, part one: And In The End... | Totally 'Lost' Recap | EW.com

The ending was fucking shit. I was unbelievably disappointed with the last few episodes, but more how long they dragged it on for. Three series too long, easily.

Thank fuck it's over and I don't have to watch it ever again. Bunch of self serving fucktards.

Fuck Lost right in it's stupid fucking face.

Crikey. I'm a few glasses of vino in but on first reading I don't understand how that answers my question. Is it saying that:

9. Hence: Fake Locke leaving The Island = Annihilation (when you die) for you and everyone you love.

is still relevant whether he has the smokey powers or not, so that even though the cork removal had reverted him to mortality, he still had the power of potential annihilation?

Maybe I'll re-read tomorrow.

I think the point is because he COULD now leave the island, the conditions which must exist for him to be able to leave also mean that all humans are left devoid of a soul. This means they cannot ever have peace in life or in death.

The Losties killed Locke because they thought that would stop it. It didn't.

So Jack realised he had to re-plug the hole in order to stop what was happening and restore the equilibrium.

So in essence, killing Locke was only necessary in so much as Locke was trying to kill Jack. Without Jack the hole could not be re-plugged.

Everything they had worried would happen would never be done by Smokey personally, but they would happen as a direct result of him being able to leave the island. It took his death for them to realise that more needed to be done.

OK. That makes sense. Cheers.

I wonder as well, when the re-plug happened, if Fake Locke had still been alive, would he have been re-constituted to Smokey mode? So, to save the Island and remove Smokey threat, it was required to kill fake Locke.....

In the realm of idle speculation now, so consider the above rhetorical......

OK. That makes sense. Cheers.

I wonder as well, when the re-plug happened, if Fake Locke had still been alive, would he have been re-constituted to Smokey mode? So, to save the Island and remove Smokey threat, it was required to kill fake Locke.....

In the realm of idle speculation now, so consider the above rhetorical......

Ha! Well I'd probably guess yes, as long as he was still on the island.

I wonder if, had Flocke left the island and Jack re-plugged it, Flocke could have lived a normal life. He wasn't trying to destroy the world, he didn't have any power at this point other than John Locke's knife-weilding powers. The poor guy had been trapped on an island for 2000 years. No wonder he was a dick. If they'd let him off, everyone might have lived happily ever after.

But it was rhetorical, so I never answered you.

Ha! Well I'd probably guess yes, as long as he was still on the island.

I wonder if, had Flocke left the island and Jack re-plugged it, Flocke could have lived a normal life. He wasn't trying to destroy the world, he didn't have any power at this point other than John Locke's knife-weilding powers. The poor guy had been trapped on an island for 2000 years. No wonder he was a dick. If they'd let him off, everyone might have lived happily ever after.

That was one of the really interesting aspects of the whole good/evil thing wasn't it? Jacob was a bit of a manipulative cock in some ways and you had sympathy for MiB and the cards that had been dealt to him. I loved those blurred lines of morality that ran right through Lost, but was exemplified best by these two main protagonists

That was one of the really interesting aspects of the whole good/evil thing wasn't it? Jacob was a bit of a manipulative cock in some ways and you had sympathy for MiB and the cards that had been dealt to him. I loved those blurred lines of morality that ran right through Lost, but was exemplified best by these two main protagonists

Yeah mate. There was so much black/white imagery running through the show, but it was so difficult to decide who was what. In the end Jacob did what he did because he thought he was protecting people and MiB did what he did for himself with no thought of anyone else so I guess we can see which side they are on. But the show forced you to ask, right until the end, whether that was really the case.

I loved this show and I'll watch it again sometime, all the way through.

What is this bullshit people are always saying about being properly mapped out?

Was Sopranos? Was The Wire? The West Wing? Do the makers of Dexter already know the end?

A tv show is a journey, one that the makers take as well.

Exactly, when the Sopranos came back from that massive off season they had they just dumped a whole bunch of the stories they had going.

What is this bullshit people are always saying about being properly mapped out?

I read somewhere that JJ Abrams wrote that church scene around the end of season one.

That'd link into the theory that Jack was the only one who knew the ending, on Island, from the start.

I read somewhere that JJ Abrams wrote that church scene around the end of season one.

That'd link into the theory that Jack was the only one who knew the ending, on Island, from the start.

Apparently from the moment Jack touched his father's coffin in the church the rest of the finale was pretty much unchanged from before the start of the series.

Of course there was no plan for exactly how to get there from the beginning, nor should there have been. If that was a prerequisite for a television show there wouldn't be any.

Apparently from the moment Jack touched his father's coffin in the church the rest of the finale was pretty much unchanged from before the start of the series.

Of course there was no plan for exactly how to get there from the beginning, nor should there have been. If that was a prerequisite for a television show there wouldn't be any.

I agree, just saying that they knew where they needed to end up.

I think it suffered a bit from being an American show. If that was here they'd have probably just said we've only got enough for 4 seasons or whatever. They'd have been told otherwise if they'd have said that to ABC.