You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

What future for Sami?

Paul

Reading the predictions for the team on the PSV thread, it struck me that the big Finnish legend never even gets a mention from us fans these days, never mind an appearance in the team. So, what does his future hold?

At the start of the season when he was playing a few games, I thought he looked as good as ever with the ball in front of him (whether on the deck or in the air); peerless, in fact. However, he also looked increasingly like a liability when it was played in behind and opponents were actively seeking to exploit his immobility. Danny Boy has rightly, in my opinion, surplanted him as first choice this season. However, is there still a role for Sami next season, or is it simply a case of it being daft to pay him such hefty wages to never get a game?

I think it's a bit of a tough one, myself. He's got a much needed older head and is a genuine leader in the squad. Also, he's more than capable of playing a good proportion of matches next season in order to rest Carra and Danny Boy, as well as guiding the youngsters through the early rounds of the domestic cups. Is that fair on him though? I suppose if both he and Rafa were happy with that, then fair enough. However, I think we should be looking to bring in a younger, faster version of the big legend, assuming we have the finances after rebuilding the attack. The only problem with that is that I don't see him getting the big farewell he so richly deserves.

So, what should we do with Sami?

We should let him stay if he wants to. Good, experienced pro to call on when injuries set in.

I agree, he can still do a job for us. I can see him moving on for a small fee in the summer though, Newcastle are crying out for a defender like Sami who can organise and sort the defence out.

A true legend, id love him to stay until he retired but he probably wants to play more than he is but with JC a shoe in week in week out and Agger growing in stature week in week out its going to be hard.

I know someone mentioned bringing in someone younger than him to bring them on say early twenties but I wouldnt mind seeing somone come in younger than Sami but older than Agger if you get me say 27/28.

Bolton will probably start sniffing round if he becomes available but I really hope he stays.

I am always amazed how ambivalent the comments regarding Sami are on this site ( and in general conversations with other reds ). I suspect this may be down to his quiet & self-effacing nature.

I consider him to be our best signing of the past 10 years, and our best non-Scouse player of that era . Some of his massive displays , particularly in Europe , would definitely be in the top ten ( five ? ) personal performances over the Houllier /Rafa years.

When adding this to his professionalism off the field ( I cannot remember a single adverse comment or episode reaching any facet of the media in all of his time with us ) particularly when unceremoniously stripped of the captaincy & also this season as he has been gradually sidelined by Daniel's brilliance.

His arrival blew away the era of watching our defending through the fingers & laid the major foundation of our defensive stability over the Houllier/Rafa period.

In response to the thread question , I would certainly keep Sami for another year as;

1) None of the younger lads seem ready to take over the mantle of 3rd central defender.

2) Alvaro is still an unknown quantity in the middle ( and seemed a little lightweight on occasions on Saturday when Adebayor and Baptista drifted to his side )

3) We would be very lucky to get away with as few injuries to central defenders as this season

4) Defenders not capable of lacing Sami's boots like Upson are going for £8/9m

and I feel our priorities lie elsewhere this summer.

p.s. If anybody disses Sami , I am going to change my name to Hypia Boy & let rip with the dayglo strobe stuff

We should let him stay if he wants to. Good, experienced pro to call on when injuries set in.

I agree completely. He is perfect cover for CB. Agger has been incredible since taking over from Sami, but it would do him no harm at all to have him around a bit longer.

Would be gutted to see the big Finn leave as he's been an excellent servant for the club.

Like Sir Roger says, another decent CB will cost in excess of 5m which is cash better spent elsewhere at the mo. The amount of experience that Sami can bring to the squad is execptional.

We should encourage him to stay and see out the final 12 months of his contract.

He oozes class and experience and for those two reasons alone he's invaluable as a role model to the younger members of our squad.

Like Paul says we should still be seriously looking for another centre back.

Guest Johnny Barnes

I can see him leaving in the summer, he'll want to play regular football and Rafa will probably bring in a younger left footed centre back to cover for Agger.

At the moment he's the only cover we have. If I was Rafa I'd be asking him now about his plans if he doesn't play regularly. If he wants to go then we have to be actively seeking a replacement.

It's disturbing when it's put like that; we really don't have the cover in that position. One long term injury could well and truly curtail our season next year.

For what it's worth I don't believe he'll leave, he loves us to much.

Distin is available on a free transfer this summer and Woodgate would be a very cheap buy

Sami's better than Distin.

Woodgate snaps too easily.

I'd reckon Sami would be happy to stay for a year or two, and is plenty good enough to cover in Europe and most teams in the prem. After that hopefully one of our plethora of young centre backs will be good enough, or we can then look to buy.

I definitely can't see him wanting to play for the likes of Bolton or Villa, however a top class Italian or Spanish club might come after him, and I could see he might be tempted by that.

Distin is available on a free transfer this summer and Woodgate would be a very cheap buy

Replace Sami with Distin? Are you taking the piss? And Woodgate? Replacing the legend and ever present Sami with someone who's been crocked half his fucking career?!

I need to lie down.