You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Alves - "Barca or Liverpool"

snez1

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ill be very happy if we sign Alves. Cracking little player and would provide cover for Finnan and Gerrard.

Indeedy, would offer both options and possibilities, not to mention taking Harry Kewells' moniker of having the worst haircut at Anfield.

I think if we had a striker who had good movememt, some pace and power then we can play Gerrard in a free role. Barcelona, Arsenal, etc all play with one up top with a roamer in behind.. Gerrard with his lung bursting runs into the box is perfect for that.

I think Gerrard plays too deep to be the second striker role. The forward player could get a bit too isolated. Also you're wasting his passing from there and he's not the best with his back to goal.

Although maybe if we had two quality attacking wingers to feed off the front man with Gerrard steaming through from midfield that might be workable.

No he didn't. He said what we all have known for ages, that Rafa is interested in Alves.

You don't get it, do you? Nick can come across like the proverbial box of frogs, but he's actually had a decent track record of getting things right more or less since Rafa took over - I remember within weeks of the manager arriving him saying that neither Kirkland or Dudek were rated, and would probably both be on their way - which seemed nuts at the time, but was proven the case. Same with Baros and Cisse, who most of us assumed were fixtures once Owen left. I don't know if he's got mates on the in or if he's just using guesswork, but the proof of the pudding is I'll always have at least a passign interest in what he's saying.

You, on the other hand, just talk repetitive shite, and when you have in the past used your (cough, splutter) "inside knowledge" you're ALWAYS hilariously wrong - for all your internet connections, your "nailed on" signings have been Alan Smith, Pennant and Anelka.

Now piss off.

Guest Jay W

Dunno if anyone agree's but IMO he won't be the only right sided player coming in. With Kromkamp pretty much on his way Alves gives you the beuty of playing his natural posistion full back and also right mid, he's no winger, but we'd have a solid right hand side with him ahead of finnan with good attacking options, but if Finnans out the side, could we be looking at Stevie wasted out on the right again or somebody like Xabi Prieto? I doubt any major winger may come if Alves does as I'd imagine him to command a tidy fee......Or, like suggested above may we use wingbacks like against Newcastle....

Rafa and his fuckin possibilities...

Ballague said in an interview a few months ago that Alves wants to play as a winger. The other fella on the left for them (Adriano I think) was a defender in Brazil but wanted to play on the wing and he has been doing so. The only reason Alves hasn't been is because Navas is so good.

Anyone who has seen Alves play knows that fucker isn't a fullback. He's absolutely brilliant at going past people and his crossing is fantastic as well as having a great engine on him as well as pace. He would be a great wideman for us next season who could also drop into fullback on occassion when we want to really go at teams

One option where we could use him is like how Madrid used Zidane and Carlos. Gerrard cutting in from the right and Alves getting forward on the overlap givinbg us the width there that we always lack when Stevie cuts inside.

I sent a PM to Dave about what i was told, it wasnt rocked science and to be fair you could assume good guess work, anyway but you need to go back to the Garcia being sold thread to pick up the jist of it.

Basically the bit that was on that thread if you read between the lines is that Rafa wants two new fullbacks in addition to two new wide players of which Gonzalez is obvious one,

I didint know the players except it was farily clear that Aurellio and Gonzalez were two of the them and there was a very strong chance the RB could be Alves. As for RW its anybody's guess and my hunch is still Simao.

Im not connected in anyway to the club whatsoever but have a few mates and only share what i heard so you can decide what you want to do with it.

As i said to Dave in future im just gonna PM him and let him decide if it ties in with what he's heard.

I personally thought the stick someone like fivetimes got was just out of order as he was only telling us something very interesting at the time.

I sent a PM to Dave about what i was told, it wasnt rocked science and to be fair you could assume good guess work, anyway but you need to go back to the Garcia being sold thread to pick up the jist of it.

Basically the bit that was on that thread if you read between the lines is that Rafa wants two new fullbacks in addition to two new wide players of which Gonzalez is obvious one,

I didint know the players except it was farily clear that Aurellio and Gonzalez were two of the them and there was a very strong chance the RB could be Alves. As for RW its anybody's guess and my hunch is still Simao.

Im not connected in anyway to the club whatsoever but have a few mates and only share what i heard so you can decide what you want to do with it.

As i said to Dave in future im just gonna PM him and let him decide if it ties in with what he's heard.

I personally thought the stick someone like fivetimes got was just out of order as he was only telling us something very interesting at the time.

a very sad reflection on the way some people behave on here that you feel you have to justify yourself

Alves looks on what I have seen of him to be a very good player. He will not come cheap and he will be bought for the first team. Dare I say it if true is Red Nick right.

I would have said Finnans place was solid - and rightly so - but if this is true and we do get Alves, maybe it aint so solid.

Guest Jay W

I think he'll be used ahead of finnan....IF.....he comes...Barcelona is some competition to have there for a players signature...

I think he'll be used ahead of finnan....IF.....he comes...Barcelona is some competition to have there for a players signature...

It is but we have apparently had a long term interest in Alves and he has stated on more than one occasion a link with us.

For whatever reason Rafa doesnt rate Finnan as much as us fans, however he's easily first pick this season.

I think you need to go back to Rafa's first preseason and to be fair Finnan was absolute garbage so much so that Rafa went and bought Josemi. Finnan rediscovered his form and took his place back but my guess is that may have some bearing on Rafa's thought process. The other factor is Finnan doesnt have great pace compared to Riise and Traore on the other flank.

Guest Jay W
It is but we have apparently had a long term interest in Alves and he has stated on more than one occasion a link with us.

True, but didn't somebody say he wants to play for Barca? sure I read that somewhere...

Then if so, that brings the question mark over Guily...

a very sad reflection on the way some people behave on here that you feel you have to justify yourself

Anyone who sticks around here long enough and has half a fucking braincell can tell the difference between the bullshitters and the people who do actually hear the odd tidbit here and there. The problem is, those who want to be the big man on campus then tear everything to shreds, and the result is this place ends up like Kop Talk - no decent posters willing to stick their necks out, and a lot of dimwits calling each other cunts.

You would need yourself, your dad, your mum and an army to make me do that cunt face.

As for Nick he also said the board shouldn't let him have a say in transfers.

oooooooooooooo a keyboard warrior, calm down now soppy bollocks.

Guest Momo Sissoko
I think when we played the three CB's against Newcastle we looked excellent. I'd like us to try and play 3-5-2 a bit more next season, using Agger/Sami/Carra as the three. Alves might be perfect for this kind of formation.

I think he only uses that set up every now and again just to catch the opposition out and freshen us up a bit.

I think when we played the three CB's against Newcastle we looked excellent. I'd like us to try and play 3-5-2 a bit more next season, using Agger/Sami/Carra as the three. Alves might be perfect for this kind of formation.

Same with aurelio (and riise as well IMO)

Anyone who sticks around here long enough and has half a fucking braincell can tell the difference between the bullshitters and the people who do actually hear the odd tidbit here and there. The problem is, those who want to be the big man on campus then tear everything to shreds, and the result is this place ends up like Kop Talk - no decent posters willing to stick their necks out, and a lot of dimwits calling each other cunts.

I think maybe Dave should set up a reserve forum, there these people can go and learn how to behave, those that show promise are then promoted, those that dont then unfortunately are let go, of course a couple of fools should be retained for amusements sake.

now i know that comes across as incredibly arrogant, but hey i dont really care.

I think maybe Dave should set up a reserve forum, there these people can go and learn how to behave, those that show promise are then promoted, those that dont then unfortunately are let go, of course a couple of fools should be retained for amusements sake.

now i know that comes across as incredibly arrogant, but hey i dont really care.

Proper forum... reserve forum... Sunshine bus.