You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Is Crouch affecting our balance

Dbnred

Yep, that's what I'm thinking.

I'd imagine it wouldn't be that hard to buy him from Villa, they are hardly rolling in money. I was quite surprised about the response to that Milner thread I put up because every time I've seen him he looks very good, guess there's no accounting for taste though eh?

Taylor from Portsmouth is another one that looks good on highlights packages. Whether he is consistent or not I have very little idea.

I think its unfair to suggest Id only be on about Barton or Nolan if they were from Torquay (I take that personally cos I raised both their names). If you look across the English leagues, there are alot of good young players about, but none of them are the 'next big thing' like Campbell, Owen, Rooney, Fedinand etc. In the next tier down, you've got Nolan, Barton, Pennant, Whitehead, Downing, Milner, Davies, ONeil and even Davies at Villa. But of all the young British talent coming through, for me Barton and Nolan stand out head and shoulders above the rest. Its not about them being from Liverpool, though I think that can only be a good thing. Its about what I perceive to be our needs, and who I think can fill those needs.

In days gone by, we often purchased other teams best players. Paisley made an art from of it and we carried it on all the way through to the three amigos of Beardo, Barnes and Houghton. Newcastle, Watford and Oxford players IIRC.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think its unfair to suggest Id only be on about Barton or Nolan if they were from Torquay (I take that personally cos I raised both their names). If you look across the English leagues, there are alot of good young players about, but none of them are the 'next big thing' like Campbell, Owen, Rooney, Fedinand etc. In the next tier down, you've got Nolan, Barton, Pennant, Whitehead, Downing, Milner, Davies, ONeil and even Davies at Villa. But of all the young British talent coming through, for me Barton and Nolan stand out head and shoulders above the rest. Its not about them being from Liverpool, though I think that can only be a good thing. Its about what I perceive to be our needs, and who I think can fill those needs.

In days gone by, we often purchased other teams best players. Paisley made an art from of it and we carried it on all the way through to the three amigos of Beardo, Barnes and Houghton. Newcastle, Watford and Oxford players IIRC.

Don't take it personally, we all do it - I've chewed people's ears off about Nolan in the past in a way that, in all honestly, I'm not sure if I would have done if he wasn't scouse. It's a totally natural reaction - my brother-in-law's a manic QPR fan, and he always seems to fancy (in the heterosexual sense) players from west London or with some sort of QPR connection (Crouch being one of them). Plus I do think they're both good players (even if one of them seems considerably better than the other ;))

I also think you're right about the young British players thing - I think there's a crop of really promising English kids out there at the moment who haven't been called up by Eriksson and so had their transfer fees quadruple overnight, and who could really fill out a squad that isn't actually that strong in depth.

Milner, Pennant, Downing, Bent, Taylor, Davies, Nolan, Barton.

Wouldn't mind if some of them found their way to Anfield in the summer (although Downing is probably the last thing we need at the moment).

:D ONly Pennant, Barton and Nolan at a stretch, the rest are not good enough for us.

Milner, Pennant, Downing, Bent, Taylor, Davies, Nolan, Barton.

Wouldn't mind if some of them found their way to Anfield in the summer (although Downing is probably the last thing we need at the moment).

It sounds like we're going to have 37 central defenders on the books by the summer anyway, but I've been impressed with Davies and Anton Ferdinand this season, and Taylor (do you mean the Newcastle one?) looked good before he got injured.

(I have also found myself thinking maybe we could bring Leighton Baines with a view to him eventually taking over at LB, but I don't often admit that in public).

It sounds like we're going to have 37 central defenders on the books by the summer anyway, but I've been impressed with Davies and Anton Ferdinand this season, and Taylor (do you mean the Newcastle one?) looked good before he got injured.

(I have also found myself thinking maybe we could bring Leighton Baines with a view to him eventually taking over at LB, but I don't often admit that in public).

Yeah Steven Taylor, Houllier was a massive fan of his wasn't he?

Ignoring the fact he plays in a shambolic defence and 'that' platoon-esque dive, he's a tidy little defender.

With Paletta probably signing as well I doubt we need another CB though.

Yeah Steven Taylor, Houllier was a massive fan of his wasn't he?

Ignoring the fact he plays in a shambolic defence and 'that' platoon-esque dive, he's a tidy little defender.

With Paletta probably signing as well I doubt we need another CB though.

We were definitely meant to have been interested at one point - and dreadful though Houllier's judgement was by the end, he always had a reasonable eye for a defender.

You're right though, we're going to have enough centre backs - especially as I remember reading somewhere (may even have been Dave on here) that Rafa thinks Riise could play there too.

Don't take it personally, we all do it - I've chewed people's ears off about Nolan in the past in a way that, in all honestly, I'm not sure if I would have done if he wasn't scouse. It's a totally natural reaction - my brother-in-law's a manic QPR fan, and he always seems to fancy (in the heterosexual sense) players from west London or with some sort of QPR connection (Crouch being one of them). Plus I do think they're both good players (even if one of them seems considerably better than the other ;))

I also think you're right about the young British players thing - I think there's a crop of really promising English kids out there at the moment who haven't been called up by Eriksson and so had their transfer fees quadruple overnight, and who could really fill out a squad that isn't actually that strong in depth.

LOL, Its ok mate, Im not feeling like you're all out to get me. ;)

Oh and Ive not yet mentioned Gabbidon. A superb payer, with Hansenesque ability to bringthe ball out of defence. Ask any West Ham fan which player is better, Ferdinand or Gabbidon.

And a Bramble-esque ability to fuck it up, especially when he tries to be too cute with the ball

And a Bramble-esque ability to fuck it up, especially when he tries to be too cute with the ball

Name me a CB who doesnt make a Bramblesque cock up sometimes ?

Hyypia, Campbell, Ferdinand........

Have you ever watched him for a whole 90 minutes in any game other than against us ?

I have said so on many occasions Stu but you don't seem to listen. I don't give a monekys what you think. Think about it for a minute, you're some geezer on an internet forum calling me a muppet. Do you think it really matters to me what you think?

:wallbutt:

And what was it you called me? You are in no position to lecture others on namecalling. None whatsoever.

Obviously you don't care what anyone thinks because every single regular who has been here for any period of time wants you to stay on the board about as much as they want a dose of cancer.

What do you think that says about you?

Something tells me Rashid will continue to ignore that post, Stu.

Crouch - I have improved every aspect of my game

By Alex Livie - Created on 10 Feb 2006

Reds boss Rafa Benitez raised a few eyebrows when raiding Southampton for Crouch in the summer.

Many questioned the merits of bringing in the beanpole striker and Crouch's slow start to the season only added fuel to the fire.

The 25-year-old has stood tall in the face of some fierce criticism and is in no doubt that his game has improved under the guidance of Benitez.

"When I joined Liverpool I knew I was going to be facing a massive challenge and I knew that to cope with that I was going to have to step my game up a bit, maybe even a lot," he said.

"I really feel I have improved every aspect of my game since I moved to Anfield.

"When you are playing alongside the calibre of player I am every day in training, you cannot help but improve."