You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Man Utd (H) - Sun 17th Dec 2023 (4:30pm)

Trumo

Feels like a long time since we've actually had a good 90 minute performance. We couldn't keep getting away with scraping wins from patchy performances. We need to be much better against Arsenal or we'll get turned over. It would be nice to see us freshen things up and give the likes of Elliot and Gakpo more opportunities as there's a few players starting every league game at the moment who are really out of form. 

• Upvote 1

We have struggled against deep lying defensive teams for a few seasons now, but usually we’ve had an individual on the pitch who can produce a killer pass or a winner for us. Yesterday we didn’t have that. The style of play we use still relies on goals on the break to a some extent, one of the TV commentators remarked recently we are still the best in the league at that, (although Arsenal might show us differently next week) or we dictate the pace of a game and generally wear the opposition down, which we didn’t do yesterday either.

Perversely, playing Arsenal, who will come out and attack I believe, might provide a greater opportunity for us to create more chances and the pace of the game should be quicker than yesterday too.

We’re due a performance befitting this teams abilities, let’s hope we get it against Arsenal.

This team simply isn't ready and I think is a few players off a title challenge if at all, considering Salah is trailing off and VVD is in his final years.

I think we bought well in the summer but not enough. We've done well for the most part but the strange formation/tactics, playing players out of position and just general cohesiveness are starting to hit this team. Add in the usual injuries and it seems like its business as usual which is a shame because City do definitely have a hangover.

On a side note how many Liverpool players slipped yesterday? If you want to look at hamstrings and groins, uncontrolled slips will put more strain on the limbs, but these shitty blades don't allow you to keep your balance, they should be all made to wear studs. The only time players slipped in studs was bog pitches and they don't play on those anymore.

Id sell Salah in the summer I think he's done. His shooting has become worse over time as has his dribbling and as someone pointed out we try to go through him all the time. We need replacements at cb for the next few years and a solid DM.

Nunez? I initially liked him but as time has gone on he's proving to be inadequate. Maybe cash in on him and get a proper striker. We crossed it loads yesterday and no one was in the box.

Diaz I'd give him a summer of fitness and then sell on if he doesn't improve, he's been utterly atrocious this season.

Gakpo is suffering by being the odd man out with no role to play, he was improving last year.

Still lots to do with this team and maybe we've just over performed, but we still should be scoring against a backline of Shaw, Varane, Evans and Dalot.

Dear Roy Keane.
There's a reason Liverpool have only one title in 30 years when it should've been 3 maybe 4.  But let's call the captain arrogant (something you'd know an awful lot about) rather than address the elephant in the fucking room.  Once a manc cunt, always a manc cunt.  

• Upvote 4

18 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

This team simply isn't ready and I think is a few players off a title challenge if at all, considering Salah is trailing off and VVD is in his final years.

I think we bought well in the summer but not enough. We've done well for the most part but the strange formation/tactics, playing players out of position and just general cohesiveness are starting to hit this team. Add in the usual injuries and it seems like its business as usual which is a shame because City do definitely have a hangover.

On a side note how many Liverpool players slipped yesterday? If you want to look at hamstrings and groins, uncontrolled slips will put more strain on the limbs, but these shitty blades don't allow you to keep your balance, they should be all made to wear studs. The only time players slipped in studs was bog pitches and they don't play on those anymore.

Id sell Salah in the summer I think he's done. His shooting has become worse over time as has his dribbling and as someone pointed out we try to go through him all the time. We need replacements at cb for the next few years and a solid DM.

Nunez? I initially liked him but as time has gone on he's proving to be inadequate. Maybe cash in on him and get a proper striker. We crossed it loads yesterday and no one was in the box.

Diaz I'd give him a summer of fitness and then sell on if he doesn't improve, he's been utterly atrocious this season.

Gakpo is suffering by being the odd man out with no role to play, he was improving last year.

Still lots to do with this team and maybe we've just over performed, but we still should be scoring against a backline of Shaw, Varane, Evans and Dalot.

I wish our other forwards were "trailing off" like Salah.

I have faith in Gakpo and think he should play regularly.

After Bobby there is very little foootball intelligence in our attack. Gakpo and Jota has it. We sorely lack Bobby's smartness and his ability to link our play. Gakpo is the nearest to replace his qualities but he needs to play regularly to develop his role and get more confident.  

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Judge said:

I have faith in Gakpo and think he should play regularly.

After Bobby there is very little foootball intelligence in our attack. Gakpo and Jota has it. We sorely lack Bobby's smartness and his ability to link our play. Gakpo is the nearest to replace his qualities but he needs to play regularly to develop his role and get more confident.  

Gakpo will surely get a few games now. Might actually benefit Nunez to be coming on later. 

Yeah, Jota's a big loss. Excellent player, but like many others, his fitness is a real problem. 

Still fuming about this. Onana spilled nearly everything he got his hands on yesterday, yet we barely put any crosses in and all of our corners were outswingers to the penalty spot. This team can be braindead a lot of the time.

8 minutes ago, Em City said:

Still fuming about this. Onana spilled nearly everything he got his hands on yesterday, yet we barely put any crosses in and all of our corners were outswingers to the penalty spot. This team can be braindead a lot of the time.

More height than them too.  

I had a feeling this was going to end like it did based on the early minutes. We played it like a cup tie and United like a relegation dogfight. This sums up the state of the two teams at the moment. Our injuries are, yet again at this time of year,starting to affect the performances but its just about scraping out results. If this fixture was reversed or played about 15 years ago we'd not be unhappy and I am not myself. There is a long way to go and points on offer. Another banana skin avoided and not the fault of individuals but more of a bad day at the office which still yielded something from it.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Em City said:

Another example of indulging Trent, perhaps? Guessing he wants to stay on the edge of the box to add to his whopping collection of long range screamers.

3 hours ago, Jairzinho said:

Yes, for all the focus on how shit our forwards were, Alisson has basically ensured we at least got the one point. Again.

Alisson did make one crucial save but the pressing and containing of the other team was actually probably the best its been all season in a performance. 

The biggest problem, by a mile, was the forwards. 

• Upvote 1

The forwards have been a massive issue for weeks and unfortunately it doesn't look like changing. With this inverted system, I think we need our wide players to beat their man to stretch the opposition. It's no coincidence Guardiola brought in Doku who is not what you would call a traditional Guardiola player.

Salah has noticeable slowed and Diaz looks far less dynamic than he was pre-injury. He's very young, but I wouldn't be averse to brining on Doak for situations like yesterday. He has a long way to go but he can beat his marker at least.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, mike23 said:

Feels like a long time since we've actually had a good 90 minute performance. We couldn't keep getting away with scraping wins from patchy performances. We need to be much better against Arsenal or we'll get turned over. It would be nice to see us freshen things up and give the likes of Elliot and Gakpo more opportunities as there's a few players starting every league game at the moment who are really out of form. 

I think there's not enough legs and craft in that midfield at the moment. Szozbo looks dead on his feet and as he's looking tired, his quality on the ball is diminishing. I'm still struggling with gravenberch to understand what his best attributes are. But he's blowing out of his arse on 30 mins and after the break by 60 every game. Endo seems to work hard enough, but I'm not sure he's very smart with it. And Diaz is effectively a midfield player, but all he seems to want to do is pick the ball up wide left and cut in and run with his head down till someone tackles him. Salah has found way to get himself in the game, but it's often too far from goal. We need smarter passing and a willingness to get wide against setups like those shithouses did yesterday. 

1 hour ago, Em City said:

Width was a real problem yesterday. It was better once Gomez came on. Trent had clearly been told to stay wide in the second half, but he can't help but want to go inside now..if Trent wants to carry on playing this role, he needs to be willing to go wide when needed. And his lack of patience yesterday was an illustration he's not a.midfielder yet. His performance was fucking shit yesterday.