You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Our midfield

Mil-ing Around

10 minutes ago, Daisy said:

They definately fucked the Nike deal up. How can they be making decent money if there's never any stock available 

Impossible.  They are the cleverest of the clever, the toppermost of the poppermost.

55 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Isn't this the 3rd year with Nike? How long do they need? Sounds to me like they've fucked up. 

May be they have fucked up or it is just another excuse for lack of spend.

As you have said a few times now, I dread the day Klopp leaves. May be that will be the day I finally pack it in.

2 hours ago, Carra_is_legend said:

Hogan was prepping for this the other day when he said "when we truly realise Nike's sponsorship deal....blah blah".....its always about next summer, next transfer window....and they get away with it. 

“Whatcha gonna do bruva when the Nike merchandise money comes crashing down on you?!”

8 hours ago, FrenchEyeGlass said:

Every fucking player in the world is available, bar those who have just signed for a club. Everybody has a price. We are just broke as fuck. 

Semantics there. Obviously Burnley could want to keep Jack Cork but if you decide to pay 50m for him, they'll let him go. Doesn't mean that's a good decision. 

Anyway, who do you think Klopp wants to sign that the owners don't want to fork the money for? Barella? Inter are always willing to sell someone for the right price. 

3 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Semantics there. Obviously Burnley could want to keep Jack Cork but if you decide to pay 50m for him, they'll let him go. Doesn't mean that's a good decision. 

Anyway, who do you think Klopp wants to sign that the owners don't want to fork the money for? Barella? Inter are always willing to sell someone for the right price. 

You've answered your own question there. Inter are always looking to sell for the right price. But if that isn't within Klopp's peanut budget, then it won't happen will it? Or we manage to sell someone else, but after selling Mane, Williams, Origi and Minamino this summer to fund Darwin, there's not much left to sell on the fringes. And it would seem even more unlikely we could get a fee for Keita that would put a dent in the Barella fee, as Inter aren't giving him away.

(none of this is me advocating Barella, I just think the manager should be backed - he has literally earnt it  with the money that comes from the success he brings). Klopp has told us a new midfielder would be cool. Let's go and get one he wants. 

3 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

You've answered your own question there. Inter are always looking to sell for the right price. But if that isn't within Klopp's peanut budget, then it won't happen will it? Or we manage to sell someone else, but after selling Mane, Williams, Origi and Minamino this summer to fund Darwin, there's not much left to sell on the fringes. And it would seem even more unlikely we could get a fee for Keita that would put a dent in the Barella fee, as Inter aren't giving him away.

(none of this is me advocating Barella, I just think the manager should be backed - he has literally earnt it  with the money that comes from the success he brings). Klopp has told us a new midfielder would be cool. Let's go and get one he wants. 

Yes, I know. That's what I'm trying to figure out. Barella would probably have to cost at least in the 60m range if not, 80m. I'm trying to figure out which player Klopp would want that we would deem too expensive. There wouldn't be that many. 

The thing is, Klopp should be getting over £60m minimum plus whatever sales he brings in every summer the amount of money he brings in to us now.

If he needs someone in January due to injury’s etc then he shouldn’t be begging for 6 weeks get someone in.

Thiago cried off injured in the warm up of one final and if it wasnt for those French cunts, would have missed the CL final too if he wouldn’t have got that extra 90 minutes treatment and the rest of them aren’t exactly men of steel so they had no excuse to tell him if he got Nunez in there was nothing left for a top class midfielder.

The profits should be seen out on the pitch, not on the books.

This window is like the one where we would only sign Virgil for the centre back position and we’re willing to put all our eggs in the one basket. It paid off then but I’m not sure it will this time. Bellingham is a cracking prospect but I don’t know if he’s the transformational player we should stake our midfield on. On top of that there’s been no indication that he’s waiting on us like Virg. I suspect he ends up on mega money elsewhere and we quickly identify someone else next season.

2 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

Yes, I know. That's what I'm trying to figure out. Barella would probably have to cost at least in the 60m range if not, 80m. I'm trying to figure out which player Klopp would want that we would deem too expensive. There wouldn't be that many. 

i saw a table in this thread a day or two ago that was suggesting we have spent about 2m net so far this summer. we spend less than 30m per year on average net since klopp arrived. i would not be surprised with Salah's renewal, we've probably blown at least part of that budget, which is why we're seeing links to Sander Berg. Klopp's words yesterday were not very far off what he said in Jan 21, when it pushed our big spenders into Ben Davies (I am assuming a like for like with kabak/minamino). 

10 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

i saw a table in this thread a day or two ago that was suggesting we have spent about 2m net so far this summer. we spend less than 30m per year on average net since klopp arrived. i would not be surprised with Salah's renewal, we've probably blown at least part of that budget, which is why we're seeing links to Sander Berg. Klopp's words yesterday were not very far off what he said in Jan 21, when it pushed our big spenders into Ben Davies (I am assuming a like for like with kabak/minamino). 

Bloody hell. Makes for sobering thought. At this rate, both sets of fans will be walking out tonight. 

5 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Berge for Keita?? Really?!

OK I will throw Ox in aswell deal?.

Seriously tho Berge looked a decent player at Genk (young player with potential I mean) but never really kicked on I don't think he's an upgrade on Naby we need to stop treading water in midfield and get some fresh blood in.

12 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

What fee has berg been rumoured at? Would that match a fee we'd get for Keita? 

Sorry was just making a joke about everyone being so depressed about their teams they would walk out.

In relation to your point I understand Berge has a release clause for £35m so I doubt we will get that for Naby

2 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

I know, I think thats the entire point. If we are giving Klopp 20m then who could he possibly want from that range?

Spending 60-80m on a first team player should be entirely doable. I reckon we could get Barella for 55m+20m in add ons, which would be the right price for a player of that quality.

We have been duped into thinking that spending that amounts on a player doesn't constitute as 'value', because of how many times Klopp has turned shit into sugar. Look at Taki, Gini and a host of other players who played above their station with us. Maybe we should actually back our manager with a first team signing that doesn't require us to sell off about 4 assets in return and we might win the league or the CL sometime soon. We lost both last season due to CM and FWD quality IMO (the latter was remediated by Diaz arriving in January).

4 minutes ago, FrenchEyeGlass said:

But thats the entire point. If we are giving Klopp 20m then who could he possibly want from that range?

Spending 60-80m on a first team player should be entirely doable. I reckon we could get Barella for 55m+20m in add ons, which would be the right price for a player of that quality.

We have been duped into thinking that spending that amounts on a player doesn't constitute as 'value', because of how many times Klopp has turned shit into sugar. Look at Taki, Gini and a host of other players who played above their station with us. Maybe we should actually back our manager with a first team signing that doesn't require us to sell off about 4 assets in return and we might win the league or the CL sometime soon. We lost both last season due to CM and FWD quality IMO (the latter was remediated by Diaz arriving in January).

There are players deserving of that value and some that are obvious overpays. Loads of clubs pay these kinds of fees and you can tell right away it makes no sense. It really just depends. That's why knowing who the player is, is important. 

I just don't see the harm in getting  player in earlier than originally planned. 

By the sounds if it we weren't going to get Diaz til this summer but Spurs making their advances caused us to pull the trigger early and he ended up being a major part of last seasons successes. 

If we're definitely planning on getting a midfielder next summer then just get the cunt in now instead, and have an extra season of having a strong squad.