You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Boxing 2022

Elite

21 minutes ago, KMD7 said:

Yep great read. Surprised he didn't call Lacy his best fight. That was world class. He would have beat Froch both in their prime, Ward.... not sure but he always managed. I loved Calzaghe. 

1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

Yep great read. Surprised he didn't call Lacy his best fight. That was world class. He would have beat Froch both in their prime, Ward.... not sure but he always managed. I loved Calzaghe. 

Yeah, think he'd have had his hands full with Ward alright, I couldn't call that one. The night he fought Lacey was fucking mental, just completely overwhelmed him. 

I think Ward would have beaten him. Ward was better than Hopkins and Hopkins gave Calzaghe a hard night.

He'd have been able to outbox Froch, no doubt about that. But it would have got interesting in the later rounds. He didn't have the power to hurt Froch and he didn't have the tools to nullify Froch like Ward.

What a fighter though. He learned a lot from the Reid and Eubank fights. I think his wins over Kessler and Hopkins were his best wins. I didn't rate Lacy. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Byrnie said:

I think Ward would have beaten him. Ward was better than Hopkins and Hopkins gave Calzaghe a hard night.

He'd have been able to outbox Froch, no doubt about that. But it would have got interesting in the later rounds. He didn't have the power to hurt Froch and he didn't have the tools to nullify Froch like Ward.

What a fighter though. He learned a lot from the Reid and Eubank fights. I think his wins over Kessler and Hopkins were his best wins. I didn't rate Lacy. 

I don’t think anyone beats Ward at 168.

He has so many dimensions to his game and has a sky high ring IQ.

The one person who gives me pause is Prime Roy Jones, because what a freak athlete, but Ward probably figures out a way to 7-5 decision over him.

I’d want to see it, though, and I wouldn’t be betting my 3rd wife’s alimony in the outcome.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Kevin D said:

I don’t think anyone beats Ward at 168.

He has so many dimensions to his game and has a sky high ring IQ.

The one person who gives me pause is Prime Roy Jones, because what a freak athlete, but Ward probably figures out a way to 7-5 decision over him.

I’d want to see it, though, and I wouldn’t be betting my 3rd wife’s alimony in the outcome.

I'd have prime RJJ over anybody. But as you said, what a fight that would have been!!!

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Remmie said:

It's mad to think that Lacy came into that fight a slight favourite as he had a reputation as a ko artist. 

The bookies had Lucien Bute at 1/6 (six to one on!) to beat Carl Froch in Nottingham. That’s how highly rated he was at that time. 

Crazy how a reputation and career can be virtually extinguished just like that. 

Fury has been famously denigrating Usyk since the Ukrainians rise from unified cruiserweight champion to heavyweight maverick. The Morecambe resident has dismissed the 36-year-old as a middleweight who simply lacks the requisite physical attributes to win a fight with a 6ft 9in man. He has also labelled him a sausage and an ugly bog-eyed rabbit cat.”

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Byrnie said:

I'd have prime RJJ over anybody. But as you said, what a fight that would have been!!!

You’re a Roy extremist, though.

How do you think he handles Ward dirty, tactical inside fighting?

I reckon Jones’s power and athleticism befuddles Ward in the first 4 rounds and Ward takes over to get the decision.

45 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

The bookies had Lucien Bute at 1/6 (six to one on!) to beat Carl Froch in Nottingham. That’s how highly rated he was at that time. 

On the day, I remember Bute being evens to knock Froch out, but British fan’s thinking that Froch would get knocked down early and stop Bute in the latter rounds.

He just walked straight through him, Bute was scared to death and I think he was somewhere between #7-10 on The Ring’s P4P ranking at the time.

It was a truly great win for Froch and likely the victory that put him in the hall of fame.

57 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Was bang on about Froch/Bute:

On 09/05/2012 at 01:31, Kevin D said:

Twitter

Lem: Keith Kizer: "I have been informed by Golden Boy Promotions that if Mr. Peterson does not get licensed..." #boxing

Lem: "..by commission for May 19, that the fight card in its entirety will be called off..." #boxing

Lem: "...and that Mr. Khan will be looking for a new opponent to fiight sometime..." #boxing

Lem: "later in the year at the Mandalay Bay Hotel." #boxing

Froch, for me. I'm probably placing too much stock in the first Bute-Andrade fight, but I don't think Bute is hard enough, or has the stamina to deny Froch going down the strech in the championship rounds. Obviously there is the question of how much Froch has left given his age and very hard run of fights, but if he has it, I think he wins. Mouthwatering fight. One of the 3 I most wanted to see this year.

I really think Chisora has a big opportunity to win this. He's opened at 7/2 to win it on points and I think I'll be putting £25 on that nearer the time.

Somewhat less so on Chisora/Haye.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Kevin D said:

On the day, I remember Bute being evens to knock Froch out, but British fan’s thinking that Froch would get knocked down early and stop Bute in the latter rounds.

He just walked straight through him, Bute was scared to death and I think he was somewhere between #7-10 on The Ring’s P4P ranking at the time.

It was a truly great win for Froch and likely the victory that put him in the hall of fame.

I was there, mate. That’s why I brought it up and remembered the odds going in. Had boss seats as well. Probably the best indoor atmosphere I can remember being in. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Remmie said:

It's mad to think that Lacy came into that fight a slight favourite as he had a reputation as a ko artist. 

I think he was quite a clear favourite wasn't he? Regardless, I don't think I've seen a more one sided 12 rounder. He should have been pulled out sooner but thankfully Calzaghe didn't have the power to do him any serious damage, physically anyway. 

1 hour ago, Captain Turdseye said:

1 hour ago, Elite said:

Froch is one of my favourite ever fighters, he was rarely in a bad fight. He's an odd character though.

25 minutes ago, Kevin D said:

That Bute win was superb. Fuck me Froch was a warrior with an unreal punch and an even more unreal chin. Like Elite says, he's a fucking weird fella but he's from Nottingham so it's not that surprising. 

I still think Calzaghe would have beat him. 

6 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I think he was quite a clear favourite wasn't he? Regardless, I don't think I've seen a more one sided 12 rounder. He should have been pulled out sooner but thankfully Calzaghe didn't have the power to do him any serious damage, physically anyway. 

That Bute win was superb. Fuck me Froch was a warrior with an unreal punch and an even more unreal chin. Like Elite says, he's a fucking weird fella but he's from Nottingham so it's not that surprising. 

I still think Calzaghe would have beat him. 

Yeah I think you are right

1 hour ago, Kevin D said:

Monster atmosphere.

Outside of Manny fights or Cotto in the garden, you can’t beat a night when the hometown hero needs your backing:

I used to go to every event at the Echo Arena in the pre-Sweet Caroline days, and while obviously the Scousers all got great backing, the best atmosphere I ever saw in there was this…

Think it won Fight of The Year. 

It was meant to be on a card the week before that fell through so they added it to the Liverpool one the week after. The place was absolutely rammed with Mancs and Cockneys backing their boys. I kept looking into the crowd of Mancs and the police were having to wade into them, grabbing the worst trouble makers and carrying them out by their arms and legs. It was boss. 

25 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

I used to go to every event at the Echo Arena in the pre-Sweet Caroline days, and while obviously the Scousers all got great backing, the best atmosphere I ever saw in there was this…

It was meant to be on a card the week before that fell through so they added it to the Liverpool one the week after. The place was absolutely rammed with Mancs and Cockneys backing their boys. I kept looking into the crowd of Mancs and the police were having to wade into them, grabbing the worst trouble makers and carrying them out by their arms and legs. It was boss. 

Splendid.

Just rewatched Froch/Bute:

1) I forgot that Bute brought fans into the arena. I don’t know if they’re Canadians, as he’s a big star over there, or if there Romanians who live In Nottingham, but they were bloody loud.

2) Froch’s movements, strength, conditioning, chin and timing are all so unorthodox. If you’re Mayweather/Ward/Crawford/Shakur you can totally outclass him, but if you’re just a level below you end up totally bemused as this slow plodding puncher is walking in on you.

3) Jim Watt called this perfectly. His analysis was spot on and not only that, he went through his full bingo card, which I appreciate:

BPPWePgCcAAm3qv.jpg

There was a Froch attack when he said about 6 of them in a row.

• Upvote 3

37 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

From this time, Derry Matthews vs Crolla always stands out to me as a full on war.

The rematch is on YouTube, but the first isn’t, for some reason. I’ll look into it.

Did you ever go to a Frank Warren card with a traveller in a main position on the card? There was always bedlam.

I’m not having a go at travellers, boxing just seems to bring an unusual amount of aggro/chaos.

• Haha 1