You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Boxing 2022

Elite

The Loneliest Sport 

'I think with Eubank, if he'd not got up in the first round and I'd knocked him out- would I be as good as I was? Probably not. I think that experience of me going to hell and back and he said one thing before the fight that I'll never forget. I was cocky and brash and he said, 'I'm going to take you to one place you've never been - the trenches.' I didn't know what the trenches were but trust me, after 7 or 8 rounds in that fight, I knew exactly what he meant.'

- Joe Calzaghe 

FB_IMG_1675705041176.jpg

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Dazn and Eddie

Joshua next fight isn't PPV

Also Dazn

We are now charging £9.99 a month if you lock in for 12 months or £19.99 a month for a 30 day contract or £40.00 a ppv level fight

Fuck off you greedy cunts

Seriously?

The service is diabolical at £7.99 and they are increasing it? Fuck paying for that shite.

The Loneliest Sport

On this day...

'My mother was murdered when she was 32. I didn't think I would outlive her. I never thought I'd make it past my own 32nd birthday. I didn't even want to make it past her 32nd birthday. After turning 31, I could feel that time was coming on. It started growing in the back of my mind, and it was always there in my head. I was counting down the days, weeks, and months to the time that I would be the age she was when she died. I started to feel that time was running out for me.' - Johnny Tapia

Three division world champion and International Boxing Hall of Fame inductee, Johnny 'Mi Vida Loca' Tapia would've been celebrating his 56th birthday today.

Johnny Tapia's nickname wasn't picked out of thin air, it summed him up perfectly. His life was one riddled in tragedy, addiction and mental illness. Despite all the hard times, Tapia defied the odds to climb to the pinnacle of the sport.

Tapia never knew his father, who was murdered while he was still in his mother's womb. He then lost his mother at the age of 8, after she was kidnapped one evening and was left for dead after being raped, dragged behind a pick up truck by chains and stabbed 26 times with a screwdriver.

If anyone ever needed to know where Tapia got his fighting spirit from, it must've been his mother, who despite suffering such a savage attack, managed to drag her body to a nearby road where she was discovered by the police. She sadly died from her injuries four days later.

Tapia was sent to live with his Grandparents and was taught to box by his Grandfather, Miguel. He already had been toughened up by his uncles who forced him to fight much bigger and older opponents on the streets while they placed bets on who would win. If Tapia lost, they would beat him. His toughness combined with his Grandfather's tutelage made for a formidable fighter.

His amateur record is estimated to be 150-12 (sources vary) and he won the National Golden Gloves Tournament in 1983 and 1985 before turning professional in 1988.

His life as a professional boxer was mixed with triumph and heartbreak in equal measure. He was a huge crowd favourite because of his brave, intense style of fighting and won multiple world titles in three weight classes. But amid the glory stood a tortured soul, who could knock shake of the demons of his past.

Tapia struggled with drug addiction and throughout his life had been declared clinically dead on no less than five occasions due to drug overdoses as well as several suicide attempts.

In 2010, Tapia believed he'd discovered his biological father wasn't dead but was in fact a gentleman named Jerry Padilla. The two men agreed to taking a DNA test which appeared to prove they were in fact father and son. It later transpired however, that Padilla had tampered with the test and it was a deliberate attempt to mislead Tapia into thinking he was his father.

Tapia's last professional bout was on the 4th June 2011, defeating Mauricio Pastrana via unanimous decision and leaving him with a final professional record of 59-5-2 (30 wins by KO). 

Less than a year later on the 27th May 2012, Tapia was found dead in his home in Albuquerque, New Mexico at the age of 45. The cause of death was ruled as heart failure.

When a fighter is known to struggle with inner demons and drug addiction, it's commonplace for people to speculate how much better that fighter could've been. In Tapia's instance, it's more a case of appreciating what he achieved despite his difficulties outside the ring. Hopefully wherever he is now, he's finally at peace.

Happy Heavenly Birthday Champ, gone but not forgotten.

FB_IMG_1676362340211.jpg

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, KMD7 said:

The Loneliest Sport

On this day...

'My mother was murdered when she was 32. I didn't think I would outlive her. I never thought I'd make it past my own 32nd birthday. I didn't even want to make it past her 32nd birthday. After turning 31, I could feel that time was coming on. It started growing in the back of my mind, and it was always there in my head. I was counting down the days, weeks, and months to the time that I would be the age she was when she died. I started to feel that time was running out for me.' - Johnny Tapia

Three division world champion and International Boxing Hall of Fame inductee, Johnny 'Mi Vida Loca' Tapia would've been celebrating his 56th birthday today.

Johnny Tapia's nickname wasn't picked out of thin air, it summed him up perfectly. His life was one riddled in tragedy, addiction and mental illness. Despite all the hard times, Tapia defied the odds to climb to the pinnacle of the sport.

Tapia never knew his father, who was murdered while he was still in his mother's womb. He then lost his mother at the age of 8, after she was kidnapped one evening and was left for dead after being raped, dragged behind a pick up truck by chains and stabbed 26 times with a screwdriver.

If anyone ever needed to know where Tapia got his fighting spirit from, it must've been his mother, who despite suffering such a savage attack, managed to drag her body to a nearby road where she was discovered by the police. She sadly died from her injuries four days later.

Tapia was sent to live with his Grandparents and was taught to box by his Grandfather, Miguel. He already had been toughened up by his uncles who forced him to fight much bigger and older opponents on the streets while they placed bets on who would win. If Tapia lost, they would beat him. His toughness combined with his Grandfather's tutelage made for a formidable fighter.

His amateur record is estimated to be 150-12 (sources vary) and he won the National Golden Gloves Tournament in 1983 and 1985 before turning professional in 1988.

His life as a professional boxer was mixed with triumph and heartbreak in equal measure. He was a huge crowd favourite because of his brave, intense style of fighting and won multiple world titles in three weight classes. But amid the glory stood a tortured soul, who could knock shake of the demons of his past.

Tapia struggled with drug addiction and throughout his life had been declared clinically dead on no less than five occasions due to drug overdoses as well as several suicide attempts.

In 2010, Tapia believed he'd discovered his biological father wasn't dead but was in fact a gentleman named Jerry Padilla. The two men agreed to taking a DNA test which appeared to prove they were in fact father and son. It later transpired however, that Padilla had tampered with the test and it was a deliberate attempt to mislead Tapia into thinking he was his father.

Tapia's last professional bout was on the 4th June 2011, defeating Mauricio Pastrana via unanimous decision and leaving him with a final professional record of 59-5-2 (30 wins by KO). 

Less than a year later on the 27th May 2012, Tapia was found dead in his home in Albuquerque, New Mexico at the age of 45. The cause of death was ruled as heart failure.

When a fighter is known to struggle with inner demons and drug addiction, it's commonplace for people to speculate how much better that fighter could've been. In Tapia's instance, it's more a case of appreciating what he achieved despite his difficulties outside the ring. Hopefully wherever he is now, he's finally at peace.

Happy Heavenly Birthday Champ, gone but not forgotten.

FB_IMG_1676362340211.jpg

Yes