You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Russia v Ukraine

Bjornebye

10 minutes ago, Captain Willard said:

27 million Russians died in world war 2 compared to 450,000 brits. I don’t think we should let Putin blind us to the sacrifice they made. 

They did but they didn't have much choice did they, seeing as it was either face the Nazis with guns or end up in an oven.

I'm more impressed by Yanks volunteering for a war a world away in all honesty. 

11 hours ago, Red Shift said:

The West has had 67 years to do the right thing with negotiations.

Let’s give history a ‘nod’ ey? More proper and open all encompassing communication between the leading powers of the day, may have created a very different world, leaving no room for the likes of Putin to come to power. There are similarities to the rise of Hitler.

The paranoia of Putin, and possibly the Russian people to a point, is based on a long history. In 1955, just 10 yrs after the end of WW2, NATO invited the X Nazi regime, Germany into the NATO fold. Twenty seven million Russians died in that global conflict - and some would argue that had the Russians failed to hold Stalingrad, the war could have been even more devastating. To then see a new NATO inclusive of Germany just a decade later, I think, would have had a profound effect on the Soviet leadership and probably its people. It was a kick in the teeth.

Then you had a situation post 1991 (capitalist takeover of the communist regime) where the average lifespan of the soviet people dropped by 6 years in just 6 six years between 1991-97. Total Social and economic disintegration, while the West looked on.

Enter Putin.

The analogy here is the reparations inflicted on Germany in 1918, sowing the seeds of the rise of Hitler. I’d argue that the post WW2 history including the end of the USSR and Yeltsin’s (some would say illegal) manipulation, sowed the seeds of the despot Putin.

There has been zero real negotiation between the two Empires since the fall of Berlin in 1945. Churchill wanted to go after the soviets immediately. The paranoia of both sides has been palpable for much of the 20th century and it hasn’t diminished.

Yeah some of the history behind all of this is really messed up. I sometimes wonder if some of it is just deliberate so that there's two sides for corps to carry on making cash from wars, proxy wars, etc. If things ever do turn peaceful in a more long term way there's a lot to get through before that happens clearly.

8 hours ago, stringvest said:

I’m sure conversations are happening, but when you’ve got one coked up lad shouting the odds all over your mates chip shop, trashing the place, handing your mate a hammer through the door to shut the fucker up seems a reasonable thing to do

I can see the reasons for helping Ukrainians, I'd prefer it if there's also people from various countries trying to help with ending this peacefully at the same time though.

13 minutes ago, Captain Willard said:

27 million Russians died in world war 2 compared to 450,000 brits. I don’t think we should let Putin blind us to the sacrifice they made. 

Exactly, they wrote their own history because they have a lot of history to write about. History is written by the victor, the loser gets to write shit on the wall. Anyone mocking Russian history should take a look down the Mall this summer when we embarrass ourselves to the world with our slavish devotion to the Royal family.

1 hour ago, Arniepie said:

I read somewhere that the Russian people are drawn to a strong leader but there is precious little information on just how popular/unpopular putin is within Russia.

The Navalny documentary about Putin was incredible. Someone posted it here ages ago and it’s always stuck in my mind. The amount of money Putin has swindled and what he’s been spending it on is unbelievable. If you watch anything tonight, watch this. It’s well worth the two hours. 

I cannot believe Navalny went back. He’s basically gone there to die to prove a point. It would have been better for everyone if he’d stayed in Germany putting out stuff like this film. 

Edit: If you’re looking for it on YouTube on your TV or anything, it’s titled Putin’s Palace. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

They did but they didn't have much choice did they, seeing as it was either face the Nazis with guns or end up in an oven.

I'm more impressed by Yanks volunteering for a war a world away in all honesty. 

I think something that happened with the Japanese may have nudged them on that tbh, they were hardly punctual.

If twitter is to be believed, then Hungary has banned weapons transiting the country to Ukraine, and Belarus is about to invade towards Lvov. If that is successful and they reach the Hungarian border then Ukraine would be cut off from international supply.

Hungary is going to be popular.

6 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

I think something that happened with the Japanese may have nudged them on that tbh, they were hardly punctual.

Someone was using the sheer number of Russians that fought/died in the war to point out that they somehow contributed more or are more deserving of gratitude compared to other countries. 

The British declared war on the Germans, we didn't side with him then only fight back when we got bummed. The yanks were sending volunteers over here long before they entered the war, plus the USA was never invaded, or even bombed, or arguably ever even in mortal danger. 

The Russians sided with the Germans, got betrayed by them, and faced a straight choice between hurling loads of meat at the invaders or waiting to end up as compost. Inspiring stuff.  

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, M_B said:

If twitter is to be believed, then Hungary has banned weapons transiting the country to Ukraine, and Belarus is about to invade towards Lvov. If that is successful and they reach the Hungarian border then Ukraine would be cut off from international supply.

Hungary is going to be popular.

Babb'sBurstNad right now:

giphy.gif

• Upvote 3