You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Greatest Female Artist - FINAL - PJ Harvey vs Kate Bush

Bjornebye

Greatest Female Artist - FINAL - PJ Harvey vs Kate Bush   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Greatest Female Artist - FINAL - PJ Harvey vs Kate Bush

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 20/12/20 at 19:00

5 minutes ago, Pidge said:

I've just thought of these polls are interesting experiments where the final result is often steered by the early matchups. If Jackson didn't draw Elvis, he could well have won the whole thing, but that specific matchup saw him gone. Same with Joni, I'd vote for her ahead of both of these, but not ahead of Bjork.

Like a mad unpredictable top trumps of personal preference. There's no objective measure just conflicting opinions.

Well in, stig. 

Exactly, I like both the finalists, but probably wouldn’t have placed either in the final.

It’s hardly surprising we as a forum have some similar tastes and err towards bias. Most are from the UK, male, within a certain age bracket, education, leftist, independent slanted in the music tastes etc.

Done a bit of digging to see how "hipster" The Mercury Music Prize is..

The 2020 judging panel was:

The 2020 Hyundai Mercury Prize judges are: Anna Calvi – Musician & Songwriter; Annie Mac – Broadcaster & DJ; Danielle Perry – Broadcaster & Writer; Gaz Coombes - Musician & Songwriter; Gemma Cairney – Broadcaster & DJ; Jamie Cullum - Musician & Broadcaster; Jeff Smith - Head of Music, 6 Music & Radio 2; Jorja Smith – Musician & Songwriter; Mike Walsh - Music Consultant, Kendal Calling/bluedot Festivals, War Child; Phil Alexander – Creative Director, Kerrang!/Contributing Editor, Mojo; Tshepo Mokoena – Editorial Director, VICE.com; Will Hodgkinson - Chief Rock & Pop Critic, The Times. The Chair of the judging panel is Jeff Smith.

19 minutes ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

The whole story of that assassination is bizarre. The gunman was sitting mournfully in a cafe when the Duke’s car stalled outside. It was never intended to be in that street at all. That one event led to the deaths of hundreds of thousands of young men. 

Sort of, but not really. If it hadn't been that, something else would probably have triggered it off.

Singer out of Franz Ferdinand is a nice fella. There's a Dutch band called Rats On Rafts who I know who supported them once and got on so well with them thst they took them on a Japanese tour as support. They also met up at a Dutch festival which Franz were headlining and Rats were playing early in the day and Alex came on to play with them unannounced. 

1 hour ago, Numero said:

Glad to see Kate Bush walk this, though the greats of all time... wow. 

Who are the winners so far, Stig? 

The GF

1 hour ago, cloggypop said:

They have won Stig's eternal love

They have. 

1 hour ago, an tha said:

A bad bad beaut him

I am. 

22 minutes ago, TheBitch said:

Tell me more about this "pegging and violent handjob" song.

Google "cloggypop" 

Polly Jean on Oasis:

Oasis are always claiming they’re the best band in Britain. But they’re not. They’re just the most popular.

What do you think is the difference between good music and popular music?
I know what is good music for me. It’s long lasting. It’s always pushing the boundaries. It’s always attempting things that haven’t been attempted before or trying to provoke a reaction. It’s got to be stimulating. It’s got to be risky, and a lot of popular music is not that way for me. It’s very, very safe. It’s all been done before. Sure, Oasis is catchy, but it’s not new ground. I’d much rather risk falling flat on my face experimenting with weird things that maybe people won’t like. What I respect in other musicians is that quality of taking what you’ve learned and moving on, moving away, going somewhere else and continuing to look.

Whom do you look to as a good example of that kind of artist?
It’s not always people that I love the music of. But, for instance, David Bowie is one. There are some things I love of his and others that I think “God, that was awful.” But I have a huge amount of respect for him because he changes all the time. And people like Prince as well. He’s always going in different ways and doesn’t care what’s best for him in commercial terms now. Or someone like Tom Waits, who isn’t as successful – but he doesn’t care and is not interested in making money. He explores all different avenues, like writing film music, acting, doing music for theater. That’s what I’m interested in as well, just making the most of your time here on planet Earth, seeing how many different ways you can push yourself and explore. And a band like Oasis doesn’t do that for me. It operates very much on one level, which is fine when you’re in need of that certain kind of music. But it’s not long lasting for me.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/qa-pj-harvey-on-acid-the-bible-and-singing-the-blues-99302/

56 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

Polly Jean on Oasis:

Oasis are always claiming they’re the best band in Britain. But they’re not. They’re just the most popular.

What do you think is the difference between good music and popular music?
I know what is good music for me. It’s long lasting. It’s always pushing the boundaries. It’s always attempting things that haven’t been attempted before or trying to provoke a reaction. It’s got to be stimulating. It’s got to be risky, and a lot of popular music is not that way for me. It’s very, very safe. It’s all been done before. Sure, Oasis is catchy, but it’s not new ground. I’d much rather risk falling flat on my face experimenting with weird things that maybe people won’t like. What I respect in other musicians is that quality of taking what you’ve learned and moving on, moving away, going somewhere else and continuing to look.

Whom do you look to as a good example of that kind of artist?
It’s not always people that I love the music of. But, for instance, David Bowie is one. There are some things I love of his and others that I think “God, that was awful.” But I have a huge amount of respect for him because he changes all the time. And people like Prince as well. He’s always going in different ways and doesn’t care what’s best for him in commercial terms now. Or someone like Tom Waits, who isn’t as successful – but he doesn’t care and is not interested in making money. He explores all different avenues, like writing film music, acting, doing music for theater. That’s what I’m interested in as well, just making the most of your time here on planet Earth, seeing how many different ways you can push yourself and explore. And a band like Oasis doesn’t do that for me. It operates very much on one level, which is fine when you’re in need of that certain kind of music. But it’s not long lasting for me.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/qa-pj-harvey-on-acid-the-bible-and-singing-the-blues-99302/

Polly knows.