You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

New European super league?

1892-LFCWasBorn

48 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

If this kills the European cup they can go fuck themselves. If it further widens the gap between elite clubs and the rest they can go fuck themselves. This is just very rich people seeking ways to line their own pockets not giving a shiny shit about its consequences or wider changes to our sport. They've hijacked it enough.

I think UEFA are gonna try and kill it without any outside help. This is just fuckin madness.

Screenshot_20220304-143522_WhatsApp.jpg

3 minutes ago, Rushies tash said:

How can you play 10 games in a 36 team league?

I am guessing it will be a seeded draw initially which even if they get right how do u fit in 4 extra UCL nights alongside Carabao and Internationals???

5 minutes ago, Rushies tash said:

I presume you will have 6 groupings of seedings and you play one team from each of the other 5 seeded groups both home and away. 

For example if we were seeded 1 along with City Chelsea Bayern PSG and Real then we play a home and away game against a seed 2, a seed 3, a seed 4, a seed 5 and a seed 6 team. The 8 teams with the most points (out of the 36 teams) go through to the last 16 to be joined by the 8 winners of the 9th-24th knockout tie. 

1 hour ago, Rushies tash said:

We've seen something similar in pre-season friendly tournaments, you can potentially finish above somebody with both clubs having almost completely different sets of fixtures. 

It's basically just a way of trying to guarantee that the big clubs go through to the knockouts and also a way for uefa to guarantee as many big fixtures as possible to maximise TV revenue. 

Here we go again.

This “NFL” of European football has been coming for years, certainly since the CL format changed to allowing multiple teams from multiple leagues to qualify.

The endgame was going to be the ESL, but the introduction was botched and, rightly, it was fucked off.

It was never going away of course, and so we come to this hybrid, expanded version of the current CL format which is going to cause a real logistical problem with domestic cup competitions and international qualification matches and friendlies as it means even more games for those elite teams players who are involved in these matches.

The whole shooting match needs to be sorted out and soon, not least because I could imagine Klopp for one looking at it and saying “fuck this” after all he’s been trying to say about players having too much pressure put on them.

4 hours ago, Razoray said:

I presume you will have 6 groupings of seedings and you play one team from each of the other 5 seeded groups both home and away. 

For example if we were seeded 1 along with City Chelsea Bayern PSG and Real then we play a home and away game against a seed 2, a seed 3, a seed 4, a seed 5 and a seed 6 team. The 8 teams with the most points (out of the 36 teams) go through to the last 16 to be joined by the 8 winners of the 9th-24th knockout tie. 

4 hours ago, CapeRed said:

I am guessing it will be a seeded draw initially which even if they get right how do u fit in 4 extra UCL nights alongside Carabao and Internationals???

2 hours ago, Aventus said:

We've seen something similar in pre-season friendly tournaments, you can potentially finish above somebody with both clubs having almost completely different sets of fixtures. 

It's basically just a way of trying to guarantee that the big clubs go through to the knockouts and also a way for uefa to guarantee as many big fixtures as possible to maximise TV revenue. 

Still sounds shit.

1 hour ago, Rushies tash said:

Still sounds shit.

I don't think there's anything anyone can say that's going to make this format sound good. I'm assuming the fixtures aren't random, so I'm not terrifically sure how it's different to the groups except if you get a tough "group of death" type of teams to play, where often 9 or 10 points gets you through, you could likely be fucked in this format, which seems pretty unfair. You can't have a league where not everyone plays the same teams. They're the type of rules that wins Everton the league in September. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

It's almost like UEFA are just as cunty, if not more.

The thing is uefa haven't made this shit up in isolation. The framework of this format was in place when the ESL launched and it was driven by the ECA - which at the time was being lead by Agnelli! The ESL was only launched because this format didn't go far enough. But make no mistake the responsibility of this format is routed in the greed of the clubs who were ECA prior to the ESL. The whole fucking thing is a shit show - the ECA want as many games as possible to televise, but share the money with the fewest people, while retaining a back door into the competition should they not qualify. Fuck the format. Fuck the fans. Fuck the sporting integrity of the competition. Just worry about the money. 

• 4 months later...
2 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Just watching that Super Greed documentary on Sky Docs. So far Steve Parish (Palace owner) has come across brilliant. Honestly I can't believe anyone would ever get behind this as a football fan. 

Looking at the new champions league set up, I couldn't care which we get. 

On 20/10/2020 at 18:26, Strontium said:

It feels wrong, but I increasingly care less about how things feel.

I've had enough of shit-munching peasants hurling abuse about Heysel, Hillsborough, Slippy G etc etc ad infinitum, but when it comes to it, they're only too happy to ride our coat-tails to broadcast riches that, quite frankly, their own level of support doesn't come anywhere near to justifying.

With this, and Big Picture, it seems the crime of clubs like United and Liverpool is to know their value to the league and to try to assert it.

How many people do we think paid 15 quid to watch West Brom v Burnley on pay per view?

Now how many do you think would pay it to watch Liverpool v United?

Without the big clubs the West Hams and Fulhams and Evertons of the world have NOTHING. No product, no money, no anything. Fuck them in their ears. I'm through with having to pretend that these no-marks are our peers, I'm done with the disrespect, the deliberate attempts to injure our players. They had it and they blew it. The golden geese are flying off and they're taking their golden eggs with them.

Sorry @Section_31 but this above, this is the post. This is the post that goes against every proper football fan on the planet. I've liked it because it's full of shear arrogant contempt however...... I'm a football supporter. 

Just now, Lee909 said:

Looking at the new champions league set up, I couldn't care which we get. 

They need to stop fucking with the game. I'm delighted to be part of the fanbase that opposes us becoming nothing but an NFL team. I couldn't give a fuck how rich we are, I'd rather go and watch the Mighties play in the championship than a soulless nothing league made for the rich to get richer. 

11 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Sorry @Section_31 but this above, this is the post. This is the post that goes against every proper football fan on the planet. I've liked it because it's full of shear arrogant contempt however...... I'm a football supporter. 

They need to stop fucking with the game. I'm delighted to be part of the fanbase that opposes us becoming nothing but an NFL team. I couldn't give a fuck how rich we are, I'd rather go and watch the Mighties play in the championship than a soulless nothing league made for the rich to get richer. 

I do get where Stronts is coming from in sone ways. Even if I don't like it. 

The non top 6 clubs have done everything quite publicly to say fuck you to the bigger clubs. Look at the shit with the 5 subs, we do t want it cause it makes their life harder  why should we help them. 

Look at West Ham,Watford and Villa trying to get the league null and voided unless it agreed to no relegation cause they languished near the bottom. 

The likes of Dyche continuing to send players put to leave a foot in while having his orcs dive like fuck and continuely whinge how he gets no decisions and everyone is anti English. 

The UEFA changes to the champions league are going to lead to more dud games and potential of match fixing. No in terms of betting but by manipulating who can go through. 

Say team A and B are fighting for the last spot to get through. Team A are playing a team that wants to improve its position, team B are playing a team already out. The team out will play a reserve team gifting them a win. 

Or say Barcelona are playing to get through, the other team in contention are playing Real Madrid, what's the chance Real play to win. 

The game us fuckrd in the hands of Uefa just as much as in the hands of the SL clubs imho

10 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

I do get where Stronts is coming from in sone ways. Even if I don't like it. 

The non top 6 clubs have done everything quite publicly to say fuck you to the bigger clubs. Look at the shit with the 5 subs, we do t want it cause it makes their life harder  why should we help them. 

Look at West Ham,Watford and Villa trying to get the league null and voided unless it agreed to no relegation cause they languished near the bottom. 

The likes of Dyche continuing to send players put to leave a foot in while having his orcs dive like fuck and continuely whinge how he gets no decisions and everyone is anti English. 

The UEFA changes to the champions league are going to lead to more dud games and potential of match fixing. No in terms of betting but by manipulating who can go through. 

Say team A and B are fighting for the last spot to get through. Team A are playing a team that wants to improve its position, team B are playing a team already out. The team out will play a reserve team gifting them a win. 

Or say Barcelona are playing to get through, the other team in contention are playing Real Madrid, what's the chance Real play to win. 

The game us fuckrd in the hands of Uefa just as much as in the hands of the SL clubs imho

Football is corrupt enough as it is. Lee, picture yourself playing your first 11 a-side game as a kid. made up with your new boots, dying to get stuck in.... dying to get home to get washed and go the match/watch teletext/listen to the game on the radio....

Then thank god you're a Liverpool fan and not a Portsmouth, Swindon, Sunderland even an Everton fan. 

Fuck all about that super league (which I think will happen at some point) is a good thing other than for the already mega rich men who want to get richer. 

Strontz speaks like a lad who never laced up his boots and imagined scoring a winning goal in an FA Cup final or booted a ball against a wall pretending to be Baggio. 

Fuck UEFA, but not at the behest of Football across the world. If/when that becomes a thing, football is dead. 

Kids, "ok dad I know I have to support Villa because of you but can I have a super league team as well?" Imagine getting tickets for a super league game? Imagine the dilution of partizan and proper tears in fanbases? It would and probably will kill the game for the future. 

If you back or have ever considered backing this then fuck off from football because you don't know the drug that the peaks and troughs of supporting your side are. 

The super league is shit, but also fucking hilarious the way clubs and pundits went full rage. It wouldn't make a spot of difference to the league. Sky/BT just had the arse cause they didn't ha e the rights. It was a poor idea obviously but so is the new champions league so I don't see much difference in the Champions League or Super League baring the issues of not qualifying 

The opposition to a proposed Super League is pure hypocrisy in their reasoning,Sky and the new PL did the exact same thing back in 1992,but any more changes that see a few mega rich clubs become even more mega rich(including LFC) is the death of the game for a lot of us. Even as a middle aged man there is something magical about football,from a park kickabout to a European night and the possibilities of almost any result occurring,but any more of a power shift towards these greedy clubs (yes,us included) is these rich kids playing with their toys and deciding who wins before anything even starts.