You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Keir Starmer

rb14

I think the last week has proven what we've always known.

The English are selfish cunts and too browbeaten by the likes of Murdoch into not believing that what is good for a community,  is also good for you.

So you only get change when they, themselves, personally,  find their lifestyle under attack.

Now that the cloud of doom has moved beyond the poor, people on benefits, immigrants etc to encompass people with mortgages, pensioners, small businesses and just about everybody else - it's game on.

The tories always, always without fail leave the country divided, with its infrastructure fucked and witt the party itself mired in sleaze and criminality. 

Labour then has to stop the ship from sinking,  usually through spending lots of money - which it's then pilloried for by the right wing press, which the saps fall for again.

And on, and on, and on it goes.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

The English are selfish cunts and too browbeaten by the likes of Murdoch into not believing that what is good for a community,  is also good for you.

So you only get change when they, themselves, personally,  find their lifestyle under attack.

Now that the cloud of doom has moved beyond the poor, people on benefits, immigrants etc to encompass people with mortgages, pensioners, small businesses and just about everybody else - it's game on.

The tories always, always without fail leave the country divided, with its infrastructure fucked and witt the party itself mired in sleaze and criminality. 

Labour then has to stop the ship from sinking,  usually through spending lots of money - which it's then pilloried for by the right wing press, which the saps fall for again.

Pretty much saw it this way myself.

It's fine to see thousands of homeless and working people dying of hunger.

As soon as the lower middle classes lose a few hundred quid a month the tories are purged for a while.

If the working classes voted in volume it may be a little different as there's surely a higher portion of the population on lower wages vs those doing better.

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Some broad strokes your painting there mate. I’d say the majority of the English are not even Conservative supporters and even then not all Conservative supporters are selfish and some Labour supporters most definitely are, it’s the voting system that’s the problem imo.

34 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Posh Royal reporter twit for telegraph turns Nostradamous.

Thankfully she's behind a paywall. 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/09/30/ignore-hype-keir-starmer-remains-unelectable/?s=09

I made some changes to Camilla's wiki page, but 2 minutes later some miserable officious cunt changed them back!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

There'll be no money to spend this time when labour comes in. We're going to be on Greek territory with the IMF telling us how to balance our books in return for a bail out. 

3 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

There'll be no money to spend this time when labour comes in. We're going to be on Greek territory with the IMF telling us how to balance our books in return for a bail out. 

We should be fine in that regard as at least we have sovereignty of currency.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Didnt think we could ever be as bad as Greece because as Yanis Varoufakis pointed out the other day Greece was tied to the Euro so had to beg for money. Britain on the other hand has the massive advantage of having it's own currency so we can print our own money and do quantative easing similar to what the bank did the other day. We'd have to be careful not to lose our credit rating if it looked reckless though.

4 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

We'll never be as bad as Greece because as Yanis Varoufakis pointed out the other day Greece was tied to the Euro so had to beg for money. Britain on the other hand has the massive advantage of having it's own currency so we can print our own money and do quantative easing similar to what the bank did the other day. We'd have to be careful not to lose our credit rating if it looked reckless though.

On the flip side, I suppose it encourages countries in the euro zone to make financially responsible decisions, as opposed to, I don't know, borrowing billions on top of an already massive debt to fund unnecessary tax cuts.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Rushies tash said:

On the flip side, I suppose it encourages countries in the euro zone to make financially responsible decisions, as opposed to, I don't know, borrowing billions on top of an already massive debt to fund unnecessary tax cuts.

That's the thinking. The problem is it constrains you if you need an emergency cash injection. Italys government tried for one not long ago the EU roped them back and look where the Italian people have turned now. 

I think Gordon Brown made a brave move resisting the call to join the Euro, but thats probably for another thread. 

1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

Said that in the other thread.

The damage they have done over the last 12 years is almost immeasurable..austerity, covid, countless johnson disgraces, explosion in foodbanks etc ..yet the minute a huge chunk of the population are affected financially, they decide they are not fit to govern.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

That's the thinking. The problem is it constrains you if you need an emergency cash injection. Italys government tried for one not long ago the EU roped them back and look where the Italian people have turned now. 

I think Gordon Brown made a brave move resisting the call to join the Euro, but thats probably for another thread. 

You're right, but didn't Germany just borrow a shit load of money to support their economy?

https://www.euronews.com/my-europe/2022/09/29/germany-to-spend-200-billion-to-tackle-high-energy-prices

7 minutes ago, Rushies tash said:

You're right, but didn't Germany just borrow a shit load of money to support their economy?

https://www.euronews.com/my-europe/2022/09/29/germany-to-spend-200-billion-to-tackle-high-energy-prices

Yeah it's OK for Covid/Energy/Ukraine or outside forces. I believe Italy said they wanted to bust their fiscal budget to give it to the unemployed to relieve poverty but got rebuked.

Sorry, unless you get freebie article behind paywall. Headline gives the drift.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/12/world/europe/italy-budget-european-union.html

4 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Yeah it's OK for Covid/Energy/Ukraine or outside forces. I believe Italy said they wanted to bust their fiscal budget to give it to the unemployed to relieve poverty but got rebuked.

Was it this one, where they wanted to cut taxes AND increase spending on welfare, despite having a debt at 135% of gdp? Sorry to derail the Starmer thread with EU nonsense, but I think it's important to get across the fact that poor fiscal policy is poor whatever the currency.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-46203605.amp

35 minutes ago, Rushies tash said:

Was it this one, where they wanted to cut taxes AND increase spending on welfare, despite having a debt at 135% of gdp? Sorry to derail the Starmer thread with EU nonsense, but I think it's important to get across the fact that poor fiscal policy is poor whatever the currency.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-46203605.amp

Hmm it was vital to aliviate poverty, it was the only game in town. They had to go down Ursulas road and look where the rebuke has led Italy. They've just elected a far right PM who' spent the three years since spitting feathers at the EU and France. Similar thing happened years ago in Greece . Yet the EU are quick to pump many many more billions into Covid/Energy/Ukraine. That's not saying them causes wernt worthy but its shown the extreme poor the money was there to be found  It made the bailout refused to help the poor (its always when it's for the poor it gets turned down) in Italy small change.

IMO its a major factor in the rise of right wing popularity throughout Europe.