You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Keir Starmer

rb14

I expect the same coverage of a Johnson mistake/lie. 

Starmer should just start every question after the first with " I knew you wouldn't answer my previous question, maybe you will answer this one." 

Then for his sixth and final question " Can you please answer the question I have asked and not talk about something that has nothing whatsoever to do with it, I know the speaker lets you talk about any subject but it would be good if you could answer my final question."

The EU medicines nonsense will be a millstone around Starmer if both him and Johnson last till 2024. One of the reasons why having a leader who was seen as the king of remain will be a poisoned chalice for Labour. They will find far more irrational brexit topics to score points and you know the people he is trying to win over - a sizable amount of them see not being fully Pro-Brexit as being unpatriotic. I mean even if Starmer has a number 1 haircut and starts belting out ten German bombers they will be, yes but you were on the side of the EU against Britain when it mattered

3 minutes ago, Denny Crane said:

The EU medicines nonsense will be a millstone around Starmer if both him and Johnson last till 2024. One of the reasons why having a leader who was seen as the king of remain will be a poisoned chalice for Labour. They will find far more irrational brexit topics to score points and you know the people he is trying to win over - a sizable amount of them see not being fully Pro-Brexit as being unpatriotic. I mean even if Starmer has a number 1 haircut and starts belting out ten German bombers they will be, yes but you were on the side of the EU against Britain when it mattered

There's no GE for another 3 and a half years. If people will still base their votes on something that was over with 4 years previously then, well, fuck it. The country would deserve the shit it keeps getting.

CT's man Clive Lewis put a boot in this morning about patriotism and 'phoney flag waving' being utilised by Labour.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/feb/03/labour-red-wall-voters-patriotism-keir-starmer

That would be the same Clive Lewis who said in 2017 that left-wing anxiety about the St George flag “ends up yielding a key symbol of our country,” and argued the Labour Party should not be “afraid” of patriotism.

Can we just have some fucking consistancy and keep 'debates' in house like that mob across the chamber do, fucksake.

3 minutes ago, sir roger said:

The Tories' last two leaders were removed in the main as a result of internal conflict , and the present pm sacked 12 of his mp's over an internal revolt. 

True, and perhaps we should learn some lessons.

Brexit did for all of the above though, so the equivalancy isn't quite the same as it was a single issue ideological dispute, on the surface of it.

Clive Lewis served in the Armed Forces so probably feels that he is patriotic and has demonstrated this without having to be told it is a vote winner by a pr agency. I don't think we can expect mp's to just keep quiet about matters that they care passionately about in the hope that Starmer might get in to power in 4 years time.

10 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Clive Lewis served in the Armed Forces so probably feels that he is patriotic and has demonstrated this without having to be told it is a vote winner by a pr agency. I don't think we can expect mp's to just keep quiet about matters that they care passionately about in the hope that Starmer might get in to power in 4 years time.

Clive Lewis should take a lead from the leader of the party, if he wishes to discuss the ideas book a meeting, catch up with him, send a letter/email, pick up a phone.

Why would his first response be to go for an op-ed in the grun, surely there are several other stages before getting to this, no?

Wasn't the problem with the last leader that he was undermined constantly and in the end it helped nobody, bar the tories that is?

The fact it’s based on speculation, which has been refuted, only further shows that this is a stupid move.

That bastard PM lies every fucking week in PMQs every single week about 4/5 lies come out of his mouth and all you hear is from a few non-Tory accounts on Twitter picking it up. Starmer gets something wrong, comes out and admits it and they are fucking lapping it up. 

3 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

That bastard PM lies every fucking week in PMQs every single week about 4/5 lies come out of his mouth and all you hear is from a few non-Tory accounts on Twitter picking it up. Starmer gets something wrong, comes out and admits it and they are fucking lapping it up. 

This is exactly the reason why politicians lie and spin.

The same people who are rinsing him will be the ones who say, “why do politicians lie all the time? If they owned up to mistakes we’d respect them more.”

12 minutes ago, Brownie said:

This is exactly the reason why politicians lie and spin.

The same people who are rinsing him will be the ones who say, “why do politicians lie all the time? If they owned up to mistakes we’d respect them more.”

I don’t know who said it the other day but ‘they spend half their time telling people they aren’t free to say what they want and the rest of the time saying what they want’

Never has a more succinct way of putting it been made.

34 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Clive Lewis should take a lead from the leader of the party, if he wishes to discuss the ideas book a meeting, catch up with him, send a letter/email, pick up a phone.

Why would his first response be to go for an op-ed in the grun, surely there are several other stages before getting to this, no?

Wasn't the problem with the last leader that he was undermined constantly and in the end it helped nobody, bar the tories that is?

The fact it’s based on speculation, which has been refuted, only further shows that this is a stupid move.

i don't think Corbyn ever had an issue with people discussing or disagreeing with his policies , and I can't remember it happening too often , the attacks were of a personal nature.

6 minutes ago, sir roger said:

i don't think Corbyn ever had an issue with people discussing or disagreeing with his policies , and I can't remember it happening too often , the attacks were of a personal nature.

They defiantly had a pop over abolishing private schools, which was a stupid thing to announce anyway, and Brexit, significantly so, off the top of my head.

It’s always the same.

You can guarantee that no matter who the boss is they’ll be a queue of MP’s willing to stick the boot in/give a ‘different take’ and do nothing but undermine.

I know they’re there to promote their constituents concerns, but it could be done in a much more proactive way and not some ego driven puff piece in the papers.

13 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

Maybe they tried. Maybe they just think the leader is shit. Who knows.

Possibly, so let’s just wrap it all up now and fuck off, shall we? 

The Labour 'guy' at the New Statesman thinks so, fuck it, give it to Nandsy until the end of the season.

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2021/02/consensus-forming-among-commentariat-keir-starmer-not-job-does-it-matter

3 hours ago, skend04 said:

There's no GE for another 3 and a half years. If people will still base their votes on something that was over with 4 years previously then, well, fuck it. The country would deserve the shit it keeps getting.

I admire your optimism but they will have dozens of hours of footage with Starmer to work with on EU related topics from the past few years as shadow brexit secretary. There are plenty of fake battles to be fought and hysteria whipped up. The Good Friday Agreement was signed 21 years before the last election and the attack line was Corbyn was the head of Sinn Fein or something by the end. I expect one of the attack lines will be Starmer loves a flag the EU flag. The only way out I can see is if he goes on the attack and outlines what Labour would do and how they would take advantage of us leaving the EU and be much more aggressive - Starmer has to become Mr Brexit. 

I haven't been so online but just found Clay Davies is a Liverpool fan tweeting about home defeats - my next thought was is he a member of FSG then I gave up. 

Next weeks PMQ's 

"Will the Prime Minister explain why eh didn't take the advice of SAGE, his Home Secretary and the Health Minister to close the borders?" 

"Aaah Captain Hindsight who lies has had the gall to show up today aarrgghhh raarrggghhh this government is getting on with the job" 

Speaker "Next question" 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Denny Crane said:

I admire your optimism but they will have dozens of hours of footage with Starmer to work with on EU related topics from the past few years as shadow brexit secretary. There are plenty of fake battles to be fought and hysteria whipped up. The Good Friday Agreement was signed 21 years before the last election and the attack line was Corbyn was the head of Sinn Fein or something by the end. I expect one of the attack lines will be Starmer loves a flag the EU flag. The only way out I can see is if he goes on the attack and outlines what Labour would do and how they would take advantage of us leaving the EU and be much more aggressive - Starmer has to become Mr Brexit. 

I haven't been so online but just found Clay Davies is a Liverpool fan tweeting about home defeats - my next thought was is he a member of FSG then I gave up. 

It's all predicated on the next 3 years yeilding an improvement in people's lives now that Brexit is done. Seeing as barely 4 weeks in and it's going to shit, apart from the vaccine roll out, I'll pretty confidently say that the Tories won't be using Brexit to hammer Labour at the next election.