You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus could prevent Liverpool from winning the Premier League title

Baltar

Looks like the Euros are cancelled, looks like the Spanish and Italians are determined to finish their domestic seasons. I think we should do the same it does not really matter when it is completed, but it should be, before any talk of the next season.

It's nice that there's a unanimous and collective effort to ensure that Liverpool play out the remaining games for their title. Who knew the footballing world loved us so much despite all the faux comments they spawn on a daily basis.

18* is becoming 19 lads.

29 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

There is no chance of making up any games in June or July -- many current players will be out of contract.

My guess is they will cancel the season in the next few weeks.

Erm, and all those out of contract players will have zero income once they are.  So, would you like to have a short extension to your contract, still be paid by your club and have access to frankly superb medical facilities or, would you rather be out of contract, no income and having to share the same medical facility as the plebs? Hmmmm, tough choice.

1 minute ago, dockers_strike said:

Erm, and all those out of contract players will have zero income once they are.  So, would you like to have a short extension to your contract, still be paid by your club and have access to frankly superb medical facilities or, would you rather be out of contract, no income and having to share the same medical facility as the plebs? Hmmmm, tough choice.

If you are suggesting the league would try to prevent them from signing to another side then you are really treading into deep legal waters.

5 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

If you are suggesting the league would try to prevent them from signing to another side then you are really treading into deep legal waters.

And what 'new' clubs do you think are going to be scrambling to sign these out of contract players when the season is suspended?

Just where you get the ludicrous idea anyone is suggesting the league would prevent anyone signing for another club though, I dont know.

" So, would you like to have a short extension to your contract, still be paid by your club and have access to frankly superb medical facilities or, would you rather be out of contract, no income "

Sounds like you are suggesting it.

Clubs will be sniffing around for deals, for next season - I would say most players who will be out of contract do not want to stay at their current clubs or the club has already told them to move on. Not going to be alot of magnanimity in those relationships.

My track record on presumptous declarations is matched only by @Paulie Dangerouslyefforts in the transfer bidness.

This last season will be canceled. 

If anymore football is played before August I can see it been a couple of little mini league's involving the teams that are competing for the same things. A 6 team league of Chelsea, Utd, Sheff United, Wolves, Arsenal and Spurs to decide European places with the Chelsea starting with a 3 point lead and so on. Same from Brighton downwards. All teams play each other once, 2 at home, 2 away 1 neutral. 

Teams from Burnley down to Southampton divide up prize money evenly, same with City and Leicester and obviously we win the league.

Just now, TheHowieLama said:

" So, would you like to have a short extension to your contract, still be paid by your club and have access to frankly superb medical facilities or, would you rather be out of contract, no income "

Clubs will be sniffing around for deals - I would say most players who will be out of contract do not want to stay at their current clubs or the club has already told them to move on. Not going to be alot of magnanimity in those relationships.

My track record on presumptous declarations is matched only by @Paulie Dangerouslyefforts in the transfer bidness.

The season will be canceled. 

But do we get the title?

Just now, dave u said:

Pretty sure that players won't shit on their own clubs like that. They'd finish the season with their existing clubs I reckon, probably on week to week deals.

The insurance issues would be ridiculous. Imagine the outcome of some sap agreeing to a weekly deal then doing his knee.

Just now, TheHowieLama said:

Clubs will be sniffing around for deals - I would say most players who will be out of contract do not want to stay at their current clubs or the club has already told them to move on. Not going to be alot of magnanimity in those relationships.

The season will be canceled. 

Well if you want to believe the season will be cancelled knock yourself out.

And if you think clubs 'sniffing around' soon to be out of contract players and sign them in the current circumstances, knock yourself out again.

I merely posited the most likely scenario faced by out of contract players and that is being offered a new short term contract, keeping them paid and under the club's wing or, become out of contract. Unlike your good self, I dont believe clubs will be looking to snap up out of contract players until or unless the situation becomes clear.

You made the frankly ludicrous statement that I was suggesting the league may stop these players signing for other clubs. How you even came up with that from my post is beyond me but hey, knock yourself out. Again.

4 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

The insurance issues would be ridiculous. Imagine the outcome of some sap agreeing to a weekly deal then doing his knee.

Will there still be insurance companies in 8 weeks?

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, dave u said:

Pretty sure that players won't shit on their own clubs like that. They'd finish the season with their existing clubs I reckon, probably on week to week deals.

Agree. Although I suspect the short term contract will be written to the projected end of the league season whenever that may be.

4 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Disagree. Clubs have this issue with any player.