You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Napoli (Murrayfield - Friendly) 28.7.19

Bjornebye

14 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

I believe if anyone came in for either they’d be gone.

Mignolet is damaged goods now. No one would want him after his pre-season performances. His contract is up in 2021. Yikes.

As for Lallana, he's always been a favorite of Klopp. Thankfully his contract is up next summer, so only another season of Cruyff turns to endure.

D1oUet.jpg

Don't extend it Jurgen.

2 minutes ago, Boss said:

It might be a bit of a controversial opinion but I don't rate Matip whatsoever. I'd prefer Gomez to play centre back 10 times out of 10.

I've never been his biggest fan, but he was boss in the 2nd half of last season, especially bringing the ball out from the back.

Don't forget it was his assist for our 2nd goal for Madrid.

Guest Pistonbroke

Missed the game due to a family get together, did we play that bad or does the scoreline flatter Napoli? I only followed on Livescore and noticed we were shy at creating chances again. 

11 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

Missed the game due to a family get together, did we play that bad or does the scoreline flatter Napoli? I only followed on Livescore and noticed we were shy at creating chances again. 

First option. Our best chance was them trying to walk it into their own nets.

Guest Pistonbroke
3 minutes ago, Red House said:

First option. Our best chance was them trying to walk it into their own nets.

Ah well, we seem to be a bit disjointed with our forward line missing for the whole of pre-season and hampered by Mingolet in goal. Best to get rid of our shit performances during these games, all about match fitness and tinkering with formations/ideas. 

It’s of course a bit of a worry that we’re making a habit of playing badly and loosing.

But I’m still very surprised by how much some seem to put into these games. We’re obviously training very hard in preaseason under Klopp, and there will be heavy legs all around. We’ll be as far from match fit as possible more or less. Klopp has explained  several time earlier that he’s preparing them for nine months football, not for the first match. And definately not for the next preaseason match.

A bigger worry than the results for me is what seems to be a very busy preseason with too many games and far too much travelling. I’m sure this is driven by the commercial side of it, and that Klopp would’ve prefered to stay in one place over a longer period and focus on training. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

It’s of course a bit of a worry that we’re making a habit of playing badly and loosing.

But I’m still very surprised by how much some seem to put into these games. We’re obviously training very hard in preaseason under Klopp, and there will be heavy legs all around. We’ll be as far from match fit as possible more or less. Klopp has explained  several time earlier that he’s preparing them for nine months football, not for the first match. And definately not for the next preaseason match.

A bigger worry than the results for me is what seems to be a very busy preseason with too many games and far too much travelling. I’m sure this is driven by the commercial side of it, and that Klopp would’ve prefered to stay in one place over a longer period and focus on training. 

Good point. Our frequent pre season sojourns to the USA and beyond against good quality opposition seem more like obligations than genuine training programmes.

Not sure what was worse- the shitshow on the pitch, or the absolute hell on earth that was Haymarket train station after the game. Fuck knows what happened to the hundreds of poor cunts trying to get on the Aberdeen train, but at least one was arrested after it arrived from Waverley already almost full. Scotrail playing a blinder yet again.

1 hour ago, Mudface said:

Not sure what was worse- the shitshow on the pitch, or the absolute hell on earth that was Haymarket train station after the game. Fuck knows what happened to the hundreds of poor cunts trying to get on the Aberdeen train, but at least one was arrested after it arrived from Waverley already almost full. Scotrail playing a blinder yet again.

Result wasn't great, but your boy must have been so happy to see Liverpool, in person?

5 hours ago, Boss said:

It might be a bit of a controversial opinion but I don't rate Matip whatsoever. I'd prefer Gomez to play centre back 10 times out of 10.

Controversial because not rating him as at least "pretty good" is stupid. Because as he proved in the run in last season, he's pretty good. 

What I would say is I'd rather Gomez played against quick, mobile forwards but I'd keep Matip when we play grocks. 

Also there have been times when our build up is dire that Matip has genuinely been our most creative player outside of the fullbacks and front three. His passing through the lines is terrific. 

7 hours ago, Kevin D said:

Result wasn't great, but your boy must have been so happy to see Liverpool, in person?

Yeah, they had a good time- saw the coach come in, had a good sing, sniggered at the drunks and swearing etc. I've taken my eldest a few times before we moved up here, but this was my youngest's first game. I'm concerned he might be a jinx, so will have to keep an eye on him.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Mudface said:

Yeah, they had a good time- saw the coach come in, had a good sing, sniggered at the drunks and swearing etc. I've taken my eldest a few times before we moved up here, but this was my youngest's first game. I'm concerned he might be a jinx, so will have to keep an eye on him.

Haha, great stuff.

Where were you sat? I wasn't sure, with it being a Rugy stadium and all, whether Murrayfield would be conducive to a good atmosphere. Was it pretty loud, then, yeah?

I was in the south stand. Atmosphere wasn't great really as there wasn't that much to get excited about until probably the last ten minutes when the kids came on and we created a few chances. It was pretty good overall though, the only slight reservation was the distance from the stands to the pitch.

There was a good bit at the start with a piper on top of the stand to the right in the picture below, then Jamie Webster joined him and did a version of Allez Allez.

image.png

14 minutes ago, Kevin D said:

Haha, great stuff.

Where were you sat? I wasn't sure, with it being a Rugy stadium and all, whether Murrayfield would be conducive to a good atmosphere. Was it pretty loud, then, yeah?

The players didn't look remotely arsed yesterday so not worrying too much about it.

I do have a bad feeling about next week though, not too bothered about the result but we could really do with not getting turned over by City. It would start the season on a really sour note.

1 hour ago, Mudface said:

I was in the south stand. Atmosphere wasn't great really as there wasn't that much to get excited about until probably the last ten minutes when the kids came on and we created a few chances. It was pretty good overall though, the only slight reservation was the distance from the stands to the pitch.

There was a good bit at the start with a piper on top of the stand to the right in the picture below, then Jamie Webster joined him and did a version of Allez Allez.

image.png

Really glad you had a nice day. I was there when Barca played Hearts and it was as a good day out seeing Xavi, Iniesta et al, but I wasn't sure how that - objective, celebrity sighting - dynamic would work with Red's - renowned the world over for atmosphere in a friendly. Then I saw the £50 prices and my unease went to scepticism. 

I was at Ibrox when we played Rangers, after they trashed Manchester and Keane* just signed. That was ace.

* Full disclosure. I thought signing Keane was an absolute masterstroke, at the time. Keane, Gerrard Torres were going to win us the title, and boy was I wrong.

16 hours ago, Boss said:

Just a thought on that.

Matip isn't the best defensively but he can pass the ball out of defence well. That's quite important because for whatever reason we often have difficulty passing it through a teams press and getting anything going in midfield. Its not because our defenders are technically bad, its that they are under instructions to retain possession (our style of play  and high line depends on it) so they can't hit it long and they can't take any risks with their passing or do much one touch stuff.

A consequence of this is that we often knock it around at the back a bit too much, often going back to the keeper a bit too much and it takes us a while to get any penetration. It also often puts people under pressure and can cause mistakes (see a couple Alisson made last season relating to back-passes).  

Matip, do his credit does help with this. He can pass the ball into the midfield relatively well and sometimes goes on a kind of mini run where he brings the ball into midfield. This actually helps our play quite a bit. 

Again, just a thought. 

• Upvote 1