You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

All hail our new Number 1

Lee909

Every time I’ve seen him he’s looked decent and he can handle the basics such as catching a football, so that’s a big plus, all depends on whether he can handle the pressure I suppose.

Penalty shoot-out in the play-off final and playing the first game for Wales in the Euros suggests he's no shit-the-bed.

I think we should look to get Heaton in as a stopgap if Grabara is really as talented as the hype. Arguably second best goalie in the league season before last. Got a bad injury and not guaranteed a starting spot given Pope’s outstanding season. A moneyball signing if I’ve ever seen one. Sell both Karius and Mig, and promote Ward as our second choice.

I'd rather have Nick Pope from Burnley than Tom Heaton,although I'd actually rather we had a top class GK instead. Always though Jan Sommer from Gladbach and Switzerland would have been a good signing even when we signed Karius. Sommer is getting on a bit now but would still be good value if we could ever persuade Gladbach to part with him.

I more than happy that we give Ward a go. He got a game last season against Leicester and even though he conceded 2, he looked more assured even when conceding two goals, than the other two have ever looked. Now that may not make sense regarding a goalie conceding 2 goals, but bar the goals which, were no fault of his own, he commanded his area very well, marshalled the back four and looked like he could do the basics, which \i guess is all we are asking for really considering the clusterfuck of fuck up's the other two tards have served up to us. 

• Upvote 1

Funny that people keep referring to Nick Pope, he's actually had a pretty comparable career to Ward.  Pope is 26 and has racked up a lot more games through lower league loans, but other than a run with Charlton in the Championship last season was his only experience playing at a decent level.  Then he played behind one of the most organised defences in the league (with Mee and Tarkowski plus eight more defenders providing able cover).  

Ward is 25 now, same age as Pope before he got his run, expectations obviously don't exactly compare between the clubs but he has comparable experience (albeit with fewer loans, with more games, at higher levels).  Maybe it's his time to break-out now or never (as far as Liverpool are concerned). 

Plus I don't think Nick Pope would cope well with our defenders passing him the ball when under pressure, he didn't exactly look like the best footballer out there.  Heaton's an interesting one, but a bit like Forster in that while his price is lower than it previously would have been, there are reasons why.

Funny that people keep referring to Nick Pope, he's actually had a pretty comparable career to Ward. Pope is 26 and has racked up a lot more games through lower league loans, but other than a run with Charlton in the Championship last season was his only experience playing at a decent level. Then he played behind one of the most organised defences in the league (with Mee and Tarkowski plus eight more defenders providing able cover).

Ward is 25 now, same age as Pope before he got his run, expectations obviously don't exactly compare between the clubs but he has comparable experience (albeit with fewer loans, with more games, at higher levels). Maybe it's his time to break-out now or never (as far as Liverpool are concerned).

Plus I don't think Nick Pope would cope well with our defenders passing him the ball when under pressure, he didn't exactly look like the best footballer out there. Heaton's an interesting one, but a bit like Forster in that while his price is lower than it previously would have been, there are reasons why.

I just think if we are to spend £40m plus, I’d rather we spend it on an outfield player. With goalkeepers we just need a competent one. It’s not like we face twenty shots every game. We just need a goalkeeper who isn’t prone to making stupid mistakes. Hence Pope, Heaton.

Wonder how long the Ward chance will last. He did fuck all against Leicester bar conceding two and one of those would have seen the other two slammed for.

Not in the slightest, it was palpable how different it felt with him in goal. The other two at the time would of been ripped, but nowhere near as the shambolic defence we had so early in the season.