You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2018 Transfer Thread

Anubis

Firminho is about 1 in 3 and not far off 1 in 4. You don't need to track back like a mentalist in most prem games, you need to be clinical . Playing a false nine in most of our league games is ridiculous.

He's part of a front 3. A front 3 that will probably be one of the leagues top scorers.

You don't get extra for strikers scoring. Nobody scored If Owen didn't, same with Torres and after Suarez left we had nobody when sturridge was out.

Now - take your pick, all four (Mane, Salah, Firmino and Coutino) will hit 15 each.

How about the odd stopper-of-scorey-fella's? 

That'd be lovely, but I read it as this...

FSG/committee won't sanction the signing of a fourth keeper, especially after they sanctioned Karius. I think Klopp was given his go with Karius, and now he has to work with what he has got until he finds a buyer for Mignolet or Karius (or Ward). Sell before you buy.

Given the former two are fucking shite, selling them will be even harder than finding a new keeper.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Just watching the Lazio highlights and I tell you what, that Milinkovic-Savic is a monster.

I fear he'll go down with Dani Alves/Michael Laudrup (or more recently, with Ousmane Dembele/Kylian Mbappe) as another player we were in for a bit before the real hype started, made a good offer for but just short of a big enough one to get his club to let him go, only to see him take the world by storm just a few months/years later and then be out of reach.

Sergej (which is what Milinkovic-Savic is known as, I guess) is a Paul Pogba-level player, would be absolutely sensational for us. 6'4, scores, dribbles, and great vision. Going to be a City/PSG player in a year or two for a ridiculous sum (100m plus), and apparently we were interested for 40m last summer but failed to get it over the line when it became clear Lazio wanted more. Sigh.

Great young player. Would love to have him and Keita in midfield.

He's part of a front 3. A front 3 that will probably be one of the leagues top scorers.

You don't get extra for strikers scoring. Nobody scored If Owen didn't, same with Torres and after Suarez left we had nobody when sturridge was out.

Now - take your pick, all four (Mane, Salah, Firmino and Coutino) will hit 15 each.

But forwards tend to miss plenty. They may hit 15 each but at the top level you need a striker who will score that one chance and deliver when it matters.

See spurs at the weekend amd the alli miss

Most of our games since Suarez left and sturridge lost it consist of untold shots but no one is clinical.

Mane and salah either side of a deadly striker is my preference.

That'd be lovely, but I read it as this...

FSG/committee won't sanction the signing of a fourth keeper, especially after they sanctioned Karius. I think Klopp was given his go with Karius, and now he has to work with what he has got until he finds a buyer for Mignolet or Karius (or Ward). Sell before you buy.

Given the former two are fucking shite, selling them will be even harder than finding a new keeper.

We could sell them for animal experiments.

• Upvote 1

But forwards tend to miss plenty. They may hit 15 each but at the top level you need a striker who will score that one chance and deliver when it matters.

See spurs at the weekend amd the alli miss

Most of our games since Suarez left and sturridge lost it consist of untold shots but no one is clinical.

Mane and salah either side of a deadly striker is my preference.

No. Teams that score the most win the league.

I get this, and I don't think anybody is disputing Mane and Salah will hit 15...but I still think they'd do that if we had a more clinical striker up front. I don't think it's a zero sum game.

The problem always was that we had the striker (Owen, Torres, Suarez) without the wide men. Now we've just flipped the problem on its head.

Anyway, all of this is the difference between winning the title and being the best challenger (1st and 2nd), which is a different argument in all fariness. The priority before that is becoming the team that is the best challenger, and our midfield and defense need focus for that.

Seriously though, what's stopping Firmino from being an equally effective midfielder? He's brilliant at pressing and interceptions high up the pitch. He's very skilful and he's also got an eye for a pass. Why does he have to play up front?

I agree, it'd be interested to see him play in a Lallana esque role. We'd just need somebody good up front.

Seriously though, what's stopping Firmino from being an equally effective midfielder? He's brilliant at pressing and interceptions high up the pitch. He's very skilful and he's also got an eye for a pass. Why does he have to play up front?

He would have to change his shirt number again. I can't live with a #9 running around in the circle.

What Klopp should do is change the positions of some of our key players to the positions I think they should play in, not the positions he thinks they should play in.  If he did that we'd be much better in defence, midfield and attack.  We'd score more goals and probably win the league.

• Upvote 1

What Klopp should do is change the positions of some of our key players to the positions I think they should play in, not the positions he thinks they should play in.  If he did that we'd be much better in defence, midfield and attack.  We'd score more goals and probably win the league.

No that would only work if I picked the team. Then we would win the CL too.

• Upvote 1

We did it with Coutinho. I'm glad we did. Spurs did it with Ali and Bale. They're glad they did. I could go on like that for quite some time. But I think it'll fall on deaf ears, to be honest. Buying him wasn't the issue. Not complimenting him with an addition is the problem.

We bought Coutinho to go straight into the team.

He was 20, but had already played 47 games for Inter, and 16 games for Espanyol.

He was also joining a team to play as a 10, or an attacking midfielder, and we already had Gerrard, Sterling, Downing and Assaidi.  He wasn't bought as a solution to anything, he was bought as a gamble because we had room for manouvre in that position.

Solanke was bought for a position where we have no room for manouvre.   Firmino is number 1, Sturridge is number 2 (but likely to miss many games), and Solanke is number 3, and likely to be number 2 on many occassions.

Sturridge, ings, solanke, origi

Has it ever been this bad?

No, it hasn't, because Origi and Ings don't exist in effect.  They only exist on a spreadsheet at present. 

But even Suarez/Carroll/Jovanovic/Ngog had some potency compared to what we have.  Carroll was as injured as Sturridge, the other two were shit, but we also had Kuyt.

• Downvote 1

Owen missed loads mate. When he was on a run he was shit hot - but he went through periods when he missed chances.

Owen had scored 46 PL goals just in his teenage years.

Fowler scored 35.

Rooney scored 30.

Owen's shittest run, and the one most comparable to Firmino, was 13 years later, when he was broken, at Man United where he scored 17 goals in 52 games. (30 goals in 105 games for Firmino).  Goal every 3.05 games for Owen, goal every 3.5 games for Firmino.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1