You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2018 Transfer Thread

Anubis

We already have one. However Klopp seems to prefer hard work and industry that Firmino offers as opposed to finesse and goals from Sturridge, which is a bit frustrating but (kind of) understandable given his history with injuries.

Firmino is also more likely to score these days than Sturridge, unfortunately.

I don’t mind the 433, and Mane and Salah are good goal scoring wingers for the system. An upgrade on the sitting midfielder would be my preference. We also obviously need a centre back or two and a keeper (barring a Karius miracle).

We already have one. However Klopp seems to prefer hard work and industry that Firmino offers as opposed to finesse and goals from Sturridge, which is a bit frustrating but (kind of) understandable given his history with injuries.

Firminio offers far more than Sturridge mate. Not sure what more needs to happen for that penny to drop? He's played against Newcastle, Huddersfield recently and offered next to nothing in attack. Firminio has far more to his game than Sturridge which is why he plays. 

Firminio offers far more than Sturridge mate. Not sure what more needs to happen for that penny to drop? He's played against Newcastle, Huddersfield recently and offered next to nothing in attack. Firminio has far more to his game than Sturridge which is why he plays.

He’s not a striker. He should start in his natural position as an AM. Firmino has more to his game than peak Michael Owen... but we know who the better striker is.

Pie in the sky time but Oblak, VVD, Goretzka/Savic-Garden, Keita and Aubameyang. How much? Coutinho will bring in the best part of £150m. Keita is on his way. £200m? Of course it'd take a new mind set from tbe owners. There's little upsale in PEA and Oblak.

Savage Garden are a band mate! 

The serbian fella we were linked to in the summer.

I know we'd never sign him but PEA is about as good a striker we could sign and the pace between him, Mane and Salah would be unreal. Add in Bobby playing just off him/rotating with him and there's few defences that would shut us out especially with someone like Keita making runs at them too.

Moot point - he is better than Sturridge as a main striker.

He isn’t. Sturridge when fit and firing is a much better than striker than Firmino is it will ever be. I get what he brings to the team. Unselfishness, hard work, forward pressure, etc. Dirk was one of my favorite players afterall... I prefer my strikers to be good goal scorers above all else though, and unfortunately for us Sturridge is still a couple of levels above Firmino in that department.

You're going to be cruelly disappointed if you think that this is going to go well.

The best in Europe aren't going to queue up to join Solanke, Sturridge, Henderson, Mignolet and Milner.

We're losing Coutinho, that's a certainty.

We're also losing Can.

So Keita comes in, takes Can's place.  At that point, we're down £60m on the p/l sheet.  

Coutinho's £120m will cover half of it, and the other half will be spent on VVD.

We then need to magic another £150m out of FSG, or through sales, to improve the rest of the team, and it needs a LOT of improvement.

Come the summer, there will only be 1 year left on these contracts:

Sturridge, Milner, Markovic, Moreno, Klavan.

There will only be 2 years left on these contracts:

Firmino, Henderson, Lallana, Matip, Clyne, Ings, Grujic

I daresay we'll get fuck all for most of the players in the 1 year left category, but I'm worried that a big club might come in for Moreno and he might accept with Coutinho going. 

Of the 2 year contracts, the ones where you usually make the most money, I can see us listening to offers for Clyne.

• Downvote 1

You're going to be cruelly disappointed if you think that this is going to go well.

The best in Europe aren't going to queue up to join Solanke, Sturridge, Henderson, Mignolet and Milner.

We're losing Coutinho, that's a certainty.

We're also losing Can.

So Keita comes in, takes Can's place.  At that point, we're down £60m on the p/l sheet.  

Coutinho's £120m will cover half of it, and the other half will be spent on VVD.

We then need to magic another £150m out of FSG, or through sales, to improve the rest of the team, and it needs a LOT of improvement.

Come the summer, there will only be 1 year left on these contracts:

Sturridge, Milner, Markovic, Moreno, Klavan.

There will only be 2 years left on these contracts:

Firmino, Henderson, Lallana, Matip, Clyne, Ings, Grujic

I daresay we'll get fuck all for most of the players in the 1 year left category, but I'm worried that a big club might come in for Moreno and he might accept with Coutinho going. 

Of the 2 year contracts, the ones where you usually make the most money, I can see us listening to offers for Clyne.

I won't be drowning in my tears if Moreno slings his hook,

I won't be drowning in my tears if Moreno slings his hook,

I think it''ll be a shame that we wasted his talent for so long.  

He could end up at City/Madrid/Barca.  That athleticism isn't common, he's got amazing stamina as well as pace.  We can make fun of him, call him Moron, but that's just missing the point.  At a big team he'd have two top centre backs and a keeper looking after him, as well as a defensive midfielder.  Here, he's been totally exposed by the shit around him.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

He could end up at City/Madrid/Barca.  That athleticism isn't common, he's got amazing stamina as well as pace.  We can make fun of him, call him Moron, but that's just missing the point.  At a big team he'd have two top centre backs and a keeper looking after him, as well as a defensive midfielder.  Here, he's been totally exposed by the shit around him.

direwolf.gif

• Upvote 2

He could end up at City/Madrid/Barca. That athleticism isn't common, he's got amazing stamina as well as pace. We can make fun of him, call him Moron, but that's just missing the point. At a big team he'd have two top centre backs and a keeper looking after him, as well as a defensive midfielder. Here, he's been totally exposed by the shit around him.

He's also been exposing others by surrounding them with shit.

To be fair he's been showing a positive development over the last weeks, but still a long way to go to convince me.