You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Virgil Van Dijk

Paco

6 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Think he's just not taking for granted that any position is safe.

It's massively unlikely but he can't say yes I'm staying and then get told by any new manager that they don't need him.

Why would a new manager not want him? 

He could have always said he will stay if the new guy wants him to cover that scenario even though I cannot see any new manager not wanting him as captain, never mind as just a player.

1 minute ago, etho said:

Pretty understandable position really, the players need to know asap who the manager will be 

Absolutely. It's up to FSG to get a grip of everything now they've known since November i'd have thought they'd have had a plan of talking to our star players & ones that have contracts running down about the ambitions & future of the club already. 

2 minutes ago, Carra_is_legend said:

He could have always said he will stay if the new guy wants him to cover that scenario even though I cannot see any new manager not wanting him as captain, never mind as just a player.

It's a player covering their back for all eventualities, that doesn't mean all eventualities are equally likely.

The minute a new manager is appointed you'll start seeing positive, if not cliched, comments about looking forward to getting started, excited to see what new ideas they bring etc etc.

All this is under the cover of Klopp actually still being here as well.

Van Dijk, and any player, can do what they like - we just don't need the players to add to the public discourse. He should have known better, and now needs to shut the fuck up.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Carra_is_legend said:

Obviously heard the rumours of Roy being brought back

2 hours ago, John102 said:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/virgil-van-dijk-liverpool-captain-future-jurgen-klopp-leaves-z6hhggtk3

its-fine-dog-fine.gif

I appreciate his comments are actually fair enough, i would just prefer definitively reassuring comments from the Captain right now.

I thought the same when I saw the headline, but I read it as he's not sure he will be part of the future due to age, new manager etc.

Sometimes straight Dutch directness isn’t helpful. 

Something like ‘Today isn’t the day for that. We’re in four competitions and we’re fully focused on that,’ wouldn’t have been too taxing to come up with. 

You’re club captain, by the way. 

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, Moo said:

Sometimes it's better to say nothing.

16 minutes ago, Moo said:

Van Dijk, and any player, can do what they like - we just don't need the players to add to the public discourse. He should have known better, and now needs to shut the fuck up.

Yes.

Also, he’s supremely confident in his abilities, always has been. The comments more sound like ‘If I like the cut of the new guy’s jib.’ 

So many people must have read that bit where he states quite categorically that he will leave Liverpool as soon as Klopp departs - and take  every other player with him. I haven't actually read such a statement, but it must be fact. Judging by the tsunami of virgin piss gushing from a lot of online supporters big Virgil has obviously packed his bags. Can't wait for the 'Connor Bradley eyes move abroad because of mentor's departure' headline in the coming weeks. 

8 minutes ago, torahboy said:

So many people must have read that bit where he states quite categorically that he will leave Liverpool as soon as Klopp departs - and take  every other player with him. I haven't actually read such a statement, but it must be fact. Judging by the tsunami of virgin piss gushing from a lot of online supporters big Virgil has obviously packed his bags. Can't wait for the 'Connor Bradley eyes move abroad because of mentor's departure' headline in the coming weeks. 

Or - as plenty have already said. 

No player can go anywhere at the moment, the press are only asking the question to try and get a quote for clickbait. 

As the Captain he should be aware of that, play it with a straight bat and don’t give the papers any headlines to try and distract the team. 

Its fucking basics. 

• Upvote 6