You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The New Cricket Thread

A_S

Overton England's best by a million miles.

A novice, and a broken rib apparently, and still carrying on strong throwing himself around in the field.

Horrible this for England.

Yeah, been impressed with him. 

However flat the pitch is, it isn't so flat that Mitch Marsh should be 150 not out.

Read a stat on bbc that between 2009 and 20012 Ebgland didn't concede a score of over 500 in an innings.

Since Bayliss took over they've done it 8 times...

And now we have the typical English tradition of giving the captaincy to a world class player just because he's a world class player and in turn ruining him.

Read a stat on bbc that between 2009 and 20012 Ebgland didn't concede a score of over 500 in an innings.

Since Bayliss took over they've done it 8 times...

And now we have the typical English tradition of giving the captaincy to a world class player just because he's a world class player and in turn ruining him.

Mike Brearley. 

Not even a Test hundred the laggard.

We lose games by hundreds of runs, or an innings, but believe having a captain that averages 30/35 rather than 40/50 would be the difference. It's madness.

Cook used to get regularly savaged on here for his woeful and negative captaincy.

I'm not saying it would make a huge difference having a different captain but I'm more pissed off with the fact that we are ruining England's best player by burdening him with having to captain this lot.

I was never a fan of giving it to Root for this very reason.

Feared before the series that we wouldn’t have the attack to make us competitive in the field. The ECB needs to do something about it; we’ve got fast-medium swing bowlers of decent quality coming out the arse - far more than we’d ever need for a Test team - but there isn’t a single fast bowler of any note in the country. I know some of it’ll be because there’s no real incentive for counties to develop a bowler who’ll not be as effective in English conditions over one who will but that can’t be all of it. And when the whole Test “pace” attack is toothless, the astonishing lack of a spinner becomes even more unforgivable.

That’s a long-term problem with Test cricket, I get that, that teams inevitably have an abundance of bowlers who’re more effective at home. But it’s shite that the ECB use the Ashes as a cornerstone of the Test team’s publicity but effectively write off half of the matches by not fostering a stock of bowlers that can actually win them.

And it doesn’t excuse collapsing from 360-4 to 400 all out, either.

Guest Pistonbroke

Sadly, we're in Australia.

Unfortunately only a few players want to be there, the rest seem half arsed about it all.

The Aussies were ruthless, easy to do for the likes of Smith when he is facing a weak bowling attack min these conditions. We'll basically have to bat for 4, maybe 5 sessions to save a Test Match after being 360 odd for 4. Pathetic from England and lacking heart. No doubt we'll here all the usual talk after this test but something is certainly not right in the camp. It will keep the media happy though, as they love a good moan and it rubs off on the fans. 

The next Ashes is in England is the summer of 2019, Christ knows what our bowling attack will look like then.  

Comes back to me that the initial touring squad selection was really poor.

We know England are a force when the ball is moving.  We know England don't have a mystery spinner.  But England didn't try to do something that they could have had an impact over and that was bowling faster bowlers who could give the Aussies something to worry about.  Wood, Plunkett types who might not have the accuracy of Broad & Anderson or the Economy rates.  They aren't as skilled either in English conditions.  But they might give the Australian batsman something to worry about with their pace.  We've seen Harmison in the past do that, Tremlett again did it.  Our bowling squad selection option was just not good and as a result when the ball isn't moving, we have no threat.  We can't even do some testing bouncers and making it tough for them that way.  

The batsman is another issue.  We should have got more runs, that is clear.  I still think there is too much pressure on Cook & Root.  I don't question their quality as their stats over a long period of time speak for themselves.  But they know they need to deliver and the only surprise was Malan and Bairstow did in the 1st innings as otherwise England would be in an even more bleak position.

Looking into the future, how England produce better fast bowlers.  I think the ECB need to look at the county calendar.  The season is starting in early April.  You get these medium fast swinging bowlers getting loads of wickets.  If England want to produce better fast bowlers.  Then maybe these early County Cricket starts aren't the best way to do it, as they aren't needed in those games with the ball hooping round.  

Fair play to Australia though.  England don't have the tools to hurt them, but they still need to concentrate and Smith is looking impossible to get out.  In England, I think England probably would be favourites again, it would certainly be a much closer contest.  But in Australia conditions, this is a miss match and England didn't help with their bowling tour selection options.  More so than Stokes not being there, who's batting is more of a loss than his bowling.  As he's just another medium fast bowling who is a threat when the ball moves.  It's not and that's when you need your Swann, Simon Jones, Harmison, Flintoff types who can be effective by offering a threat when the ball isn't moving.