You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

May calls General Election on 8 June

jimmycase

Guest Pistonbroke

She clearly knows she is thick and limited, and she is running her campaign as such. I think it says a lot more about the country at large that half of us see her as a good leader.

I doubt half the country see her as a good leader mate. Many just see her as a means to see Brexit being delivered regardless of the consequences, scary shit nonetheless. 

Brexit is going to be a nightmare of epic proportions that we have no control over whatsoever.

Trade deals?  Of course you can, here's our cock, suck the bastard.

Don't want a trade deal?  Ok, don't let the door hit your arse, mind as you go.

It's patently that simple, always has been, always will be, we hold none of the cards, not one.  You can only bluff in cards when the other one doesn't know what you've got.  They know, because we've got no cards.

Junker and co can't believe we're trying to dominate proceedings and get tough.  Just, beyond weird, they're genuinely stunned by our stance on it, it's almost threatening, our infatuation with nuclear weapons and this spoilt bastard pose we're striking, while allowing ourselves to be gently fingered by Donald Trump in return for his mad protection racket.

WE are the threat to world peace.  It's us acting the cunt.

So if the single mothers circumstances change, and she chinages her vote accordingly that's ok too?

No.

Anyone who votes entirely for their own personal self interest is a bit of a shit. Societies work when people actually give a flying fuck about the other people around them.

Comment on Twitter.

supposedly this afternoon, they've had the press locked in a room while she's toured some building in cornwall and the press can ask some questions later. watch the press here, they love to look after their own, they'll go after May. Then she'll blame security and brown faced people with funny names, 100% guaranteed. 

I think we can now safely add "Brussels gossip" to the list with "Strong and stable leadership" and "Coalition of Chaos"...

Just been on the BBC then, following May around in Cornwall and one of the electorate challenged her that the election wasn't just about Brexit and that there were other issues that needed to be taken into account. May's reaction was hilarious. She just didn't want to engage with the woman and was practically running away from her.

May has also been going on about how a Cabinet member called her "one of the most stubborn women ever" and she expanded that that was nothing and Juncker would see just how stubborn she could be.

No doubt that was said to reinforce the strong leadership mantra. But, shouldn't an effective leader be pragmatic, flexible and willing to make common sense concessions to help achieve the greater good and not lose sight of the bigger picture?

The fucking wally.

So what's the theory here? George Osborne is fixing polls in favour of the woman who sacked him?

Not sure I buy it.

Sure enough, Osborne's first editorial is heavily critical of May, branding Brexit a "historic mistake" and slamming the Prime Minister's empty sloganeering: "There's nothing wrong with repeating election campaign slogans; the problem comes when the election campaign amounts to no more than a slogan. If you ask for a blank cheque, don't be surprised if later it bounces."

Guest Pistonbroke

I think we can now safely add "Brussels gossip" to the list with "Strong and stable leadership" and "Coalition of Chaos"...

Just been on the BBC then, following May around in Cornwall and one of the electorate challenged her that the election wasn't just about Brexit and that there were other issues that needed to be taken into account. May's reaction was hilarious. She just didn't want to engage with the woman and was practically running away from her.

May has also been going on about how a Cabinet member called her "one of the most stubborn women ever" and she expanded that that was nothing and Juncker would see just how stubborn she could be.

No doubt that was said to reinforce the strong leadership mantra. But, shouldn't an effective leader be pragmatic, flexible and willing to make common sense concessions to help achieve the greater good and not lose sight of the bigger picture?

The fucking wally.

She's going to get dry bummed in negotiations with the EU. It's all a bit surreal to be honest, either those in power really don't give a fuck what happens or they are egging her on to make a cunt of herself. 

No.

Anyone who votes entirely for their own personal self interest is a bit of a shit. Societies work when people actually give a flying fuck about the other people around them.

But some people are in a better position to do so. 

If you're struggling to feed your kids, precisely because of the absolute cunt of a society you live in, then I can forgive that person for being a little selfish. It's out of necessity. If you're doing it when you're earning 100k a year or whatever, then you're doing it out of greed.

The fucking wally.

She's been trying to brand herself thatcher mark II since she's stolen office. This strong and stable/stubborn woman, is trying to create iron lady/lady's not for turning shite. Sadly in an age where there's more info available to you than ever to help you see through the soundbites, the world has become more soundbite driven than ever. We see through it, but we saw through her before she started. This is why I get so frustrated labour are so off the pace in providing opposition.

But some people are in a better position to do so. 

If you're struggling to feed your kids, precisely because of the absolute cunt of a society you live in, then I can forgive that person for being a little selfish. It's out of necessity. If you're doing it when you're earning 100k a year or whatever, then you're doing it out of greed.

I see your point but if you earn 100k and have a 400k mortgage why would you vote for someone that might, for example, double your mortgage payments or dramatically effect the amount of money your trying to put by for your pension. 100k might seem a lot of money but i think you need to raise the bar higher when considering greed.

I see your point but if you earn 100k and have a 400k mortgage why would you vote for someone that might, for example, double your mortgage payments or dramatically effect the amount of money your trying to put by for your pension. 100k might seem a lot of money but i think you need to raise the bar higher when considering greed.

But you could make it a £1m and say, "yeah but what about the upkeep of the yacht?".

If you earn £100k a year then you only have financial worries if you decide to get a £400k mortgage, and a new car, etc, etc. Meanwhile other people are wondering if they can afford to buy school uniform for their kids.

I did pluck the figure out of thin air, admittedly. But what is the average yearly earnings? 25K? 6m people earn less than the living wage. My sympathy is with these people. Not got much for someone on a hundred grand a year. If they get into financial trouble it's usually because they've been a bit of a knob...probably out of greed.

But you could make it a £1m and say, "yeah but what about the upkeep of the yacht?".

If you earn £100k a year then you only have financial worries if you decide to get a £400k mortgage, and a new car, etc, etc. Meanwhile other people are wondering if they can afford to buy school uniform for their kids.

I did pluck the figure out of thin air, admittedly. But what is the average yearly earnings? 25K? 6m people earn less than the living wage. My sympathy is with these people. Not got much for someone on a hundred grand a year. 

Plenty of people move up the housing ladder as high as their income allows. Doesnt make them greedy. You cant label everyone that lives in a big house or drives a nice car as greedy. I dont see posters on here that aspire to nice cars or houses/gardens labelled as greedy. In the same way it doesnt mean that those that earn minimum wage or live off benefits are useless. 

Greed is having more than you could ever spend and wanting more. They're the ones you should be talking about.

I did pluck the figure out of thin air, admittedly. But what is the average yearly earnings? 25K? 6m people earn less than the living wage. My sympathy is with these people. Not got much for someone on a hundred grand a year. If they get into financial trouble it's usually because they've been a bit of a knob...probably out of greed.

400k mortgage maybe depends where you live. My mate has a very small 2 bed flat in a not very nice part of North London. If he bought it today, it would cost between 350-400k. 100k might be boss in most parts of the country, but not all.

Earn over £100k? Zero sympathy.

That said, I'm more concerned about catching corporations and tax dodgers, aka, criminals.

I'm not saying they deserve sympathy, just pointing out that economic policy may still be relevant to many on 100k a year.

Agree on the others

Guest Pistonbroke

No stopping this Woman's stupidity. 

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-39784170

Theresa May says she will be a "bloody difficult woman" towards European Commission president Jean-Claude Juncker during Brexit talks.

The PM revived a line used during her Tory leadership campaign to respond to claims the two clashed over dinner.

She also declined to commit to settling the issue of expats' rights by June.

EU sources claim UK misunderstanding of the talks process, and ignorance about how Brussels works, could lead to no deal being agreed on the UK's exit.

According to German newspaper Frankfurter Allgemeine, the prime minister and Mr Juncker clashed last Wednesday at Downing Street over Mrs May's desire to make Brexit "a success" and whether the issue of protecting the rights of expat UK and EU nationals could be agreed as early as June.

Speaking to BBC political editor Laura Kuenssberg, Mrs May said there were a lot of similarities and common ground in the two sides' positions.

She added: "But look, I think what we've seen recently is that at times these negotiations are going to be tough.

"During the Conservative Party leadership campaign I was described by one of my colleagues as a bloody difficult woman. And I said at the time the next person to find that out will be Jean-Claude Juncker."

The "bloody difficult" quote came from former Conservative chancellor Ken Clarke, who was recorded discussing her after a TV interview last year.

Asked about the German newspaper report, Mrs May said: "I don't recall the account that has been given of the meeting that took place, I think that a lot of this is Brussels gossip."

But she said that the talks would be tough and would involve either her or Jeremy Corbyn lining up for the UK against the other 27 EU leaders.

Analysis by BBC political editor Laura Kuenssberg

Theresa May's comment is revealing about her strength, and also her weakness. No political leader wants to be seen to be pushed around. When the UK talked tough as a member of the EU the others had no choice but to listen.

But now the UK is on the way out, the incentives for the others to pay attention - let alone do our bidding - is very different.

Refusing to be pushed around is one thing, refusing to show any sign of compromise or listen quite another.

Read more from Laura

Pressed on whether she did believe the issue of the rights of EU nationals in the UK - and Britons abroad - could be settled in June, she said: "I've always said that I want this to be an issue that we address at an early stage."

"I've always said that there are complexities to this issue and lots of details that will need to be agreed. What people want to know is to have some reassurance about their future. I believe we can give that at an early stage. I've got the will to do this," she added.

She also said she would have "no intention of doing anything other" than serving a full term until 2022 if she wins the 8 June general election.

Opposition parties have accused the Tories of pursuing a "hard Brexit" strategy, with the PM insisting no deal is better than a bad one and planning to withdraw the UK from the EU single market.

The first edition of the London Evening Standard published under the editorship of ex-chancellor George Osborne was headlined "Brussels twists knife on Brexit", with an editorial warning the PM against seeking a "blank cheque" from the EU.

Launching his party's Brexit strategy, ex-Lib Dem leader Nick Clegg said Mrs May had "chosen to pursue the most extreme and damaging form" of EU departure.

He said his party would offer another EU referendum in which it would campaign to Remain.

Guest Pistonbroke

Think the full quote should be a "bloody difficult woman to locate."

I'm sure Junker et all are licking their lips at the thought of having to negotiate with May. They'll be shitting themselves if she suggests a game of hide and seek. 

I'm sure Junker et all are licking their lips at the thought of having to negotiate with May. They'll be shitting themselves if she suggests a game of hide and seek.

The thing is though, they actually probably want to have a proper negotiation and not have some. Mad woman think she can stamp her feet and get her own way. It's actually not helpful for anyone for this to go to shit and while it hurts us more, Europe doesn't get off unscathed if it goes bad. The country and Europe need to pray there's the biggest turnaround ever in this GE.