You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Ski'ing

Bjornebye

Guest Pistonbroke

Doubt I’ll get any lessons in within a fortnight if we do go.

Stig is right mate, best to have some idea before actually using up holidays and spending a large wedge. I went years ago whilst still in the Army and the instructors had us skiing down the slopes within about 3-4 days, none of us had a clue and had never been skiing before. Looking back on it all if we had prior knowledge of the basics, equipment etc he'd probably have had us on the novice slopes on day 1 or 2. It was a 4 week skiing trip for us, so time wasn't a problem as such and the Army were paying for the majority of it. 

Have a look at this site mate, it should give you a better idea about it all and get you on the slopes quicker. http://www.mechanicsofsport.com/skiing.html

Going on a lads skiing holiday next month to Meribel, which is in the 3 valleys region of the French Alps. Staying in a chalet with food and unlimited wine included, can’t wait!

Went last year but tried snowboarding. Never again, way way harder than skiing. Spent the whole week headbutting the ground and came home feeling I’d been run over by a truck. Skiing is much better.

I would definitely give it a go LF, book a couple of lessons over there. Real snow on a real mountain is different to all these indoor ski places anyway.

• Upvote 1

I like skiing. It’s an expensive trip though once you pay for ski hire and lift passes and lessons, etc. then factor in mountain prices for booze and food.

Definitely book lessons when you’re there though, well worth it. If you get a week of lessons in the mornings, you can then ski with the missus in the afternoon. Should be pretty much fluent by the end of the week.

I only get to drive to Aussie ski slopes these days, would love to go in Europe again.

My lad is off to Italy with the school in March to try this skiing lark out.  I asked at the school meeting if they provided complimentary crutches, it went down like a fucking lead balloon.  I've no experience with skiing, but I have experience of a common knee injury that skiing type cunts tend to get and it finished me playing football.  It started a debate with my family, what carries the greater risk of injury : going skiing or riding a two wheeled crotch rocket ?  At least I don't have to worry about an avalanche on my bike.......

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...