You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Paris shootings

Lee909

3 minutes ago, skend04 said:

Just like mass shootings of kids in America are an accepted part of owning guns I think beheadings and a bit of violence is going to have to be accepted part of free speech. 

Anyways, terror alert here raised to highest level. It's fortunate that everyone is going to be in lockdown otherwise there could have been a lot of lives lost. It'll stop all the queues for panic buying big rolls too.

Dawn French over here 

6 minutes ago, skend04 said:

Just like mass shootings of kids in America are an accepted part of owning guns I think beheadings and a bit of violence is going to have to be accepted part of free speech. 

Anyways, terror alert here raised to highest level. It's fortunate that everyone is going to be in lockdown otherwise there could have been a lot of lives lost. It'll stop all the queues for panic buying big rolls too.

It is true that France has previous when it comes to fighting for liberté (égalité, fraternité) and beheadings.

2 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Sorry but neither of you are getting my point here. 

5 years ago, 2 gunmen stormed and massacred Charlie Hebdo for publishing cartoons of the prophet Muhammad. They should have been able to publish them absolutely but unfortunately we have cunts who take umbrage and kill people over it. It's a fact that these lunatics exist. My point is that whilst he should be able to do it, he was playing with fire. I'd prefer not to do so.

They could have stormed that school and started shooting kids over it for fuck sake. Rico I'm sure you wouldn't want Izzy in his classroom. It's not right at all, its fucking horrible but why take that risk right now? In this climate? 

I wouldn’t want Izzy in a country where a load of religious nutters are dictating the curriculum.  

5 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

Oh do fuck off.  Why should a non-believer adhere to blasphemy laws? People have been beheaded because of cartoons (cartoons they didn’t even fucking draw).  There is no fucking excuse.  Unbelievable. 

It's not about adhering to blasphemy laws. 

Why should it be ok to cause outrage amongst the Muslim community for whom it is known that this is a very sensitive issue, but on the other hand there are many issues such as LGBT, where even the slightest offence isn't tolerated. 

If one is tolerated then it should be fine to ridicule and mock LGBTQ, fine to openly hold xenophobic or views etc. all in the name of freedom of speech and expression. 

1 minute ago, ManéMan said:

It's not about adhering to blasphemy laws. 

Why should it be ok to cause outrage amongst the Muslim community for whom it is known that this is a very sensitive issue, but on the other hand there are many issues such as LGBT, where even the slightest offence isn't tolerated. 

If one is tolerated then it should be fine to ridicule and mock LGBTQ, fine to openly hold xenophobic or views etc. all in the name of freedom of speech and expression. 

This is the state, you are free to say what you want on those issues.  Nonsense again. 

You saying they shouldn’t provoke Muslims sounds just like someone saying George Floyd would be alive if he didn’t break the law. 

3 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

This is the state, you are free to say what you want on those issues.  Nonsense again. 

You saying they shouldn’t provoke Muslims sounds just like someone saying George Floyd would be alive if he didn’t break the law. 

Nah you're talking nonsense. You wouldn't find the state displaying homophobic messages in support of someone holding hose views, or them being taught in a classroom to children. 

10 minutes ago, ManéMan said:

Nah you're talking nonsense. You wouldn't find the state displaying homophobic messages in support of someone holding hose views, or them being taught in a classroom to children. 

They weren’t attacking them for being Muslim, they were saying ‘your rules don’t apply here’. 

1 minute ago, ManéMan said:

In what way? He's not saying anything coherent so is resorting to jumping from one catch phrase to another

You’re argument is ‘don’t upset people and they won’t chop your head off’. Not exactly sophisticated is it? 

In 2020 no one should have to abide by any religious laws, never mind the laws of a religion they aren’t part of. 

Making any excuses for people who chop heads of is fucking crazy.  Even more crazy that they are doing it based on a superstition. 

2 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

You’re argument is ‘don’t upset people and they won’t chop your head off’. Not exactly sophisticated is it? 

In 2020 no one should have to abide by any religious laws, never mind the laws of a religion they aren’t part of. 

Making any excuses for people who chop heads of is fucking crazy.  Even more crazy that they are doing it based on a superstition. 

No, that clearly isn't my argument. 

Beheading his head is an atrocity, but it doesn't make the initial action of deliberately mocking and insulting someone who is integral to a religion and thereby causing incitement, any less wrong.

We have recently seen a prominent politician in our country being suspended for some perceived anti semitism within his party under his leadership, so clearly it is something not tolerated even in this secular society.

5 minutes ago, ManéMan said:

No, that clearly isn't my argument. 

Beheading his head is an atrocity, but it doesn't make the initial action of deliberately mocking and insulting someone who is integral to a religion and thereby causing incitement, any less wrong.

We have recently seen a prominent politician in our country being suspended for some perceived anti semitism within his party under his leadership, so clearly it is something not tolerated even in this secular society.

You are missing the fundamental point. No one has the right not to be offended. Imagine tomorrow that the far right say they are mortally offended by something benign, would you allow them special treatment? Just because it’s a religion it doesn’t deserve special treatment. 

Discrimination is not offence. This isn’t difficult.

You are giving them a free pass because they are upset. Fucking madness.  You don’t do it with children, shouldn’t do it with adults either. 

17 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

You are missing the fundamental point. No one has the right not to be offended. Imagine tomorrow that the far right say they are mortally offended by something benign, would you allow them special treatment? Just because it’s a religion it doesn’t deserve special treatment. 

Discrimination is not offence. This isn’t difficult.

You are giving them a free pass because they are upset. Fucking madness.  You don’t do it with children, shouldn’t do it with adults either. 

Don't Muslims have a right to be offended and upset? Special treatment in what way?

Discrimination is not an offence? Please explain. 

Free pass to do what?

2 minutes ago, ManéMan said:

Don't Muslims have a right to be offended and upset? Special treatment in what way?

Discrimination is not an offence? Please explain. 

Free pass to do what?

Yes, but they can’t commit a crime because of it. Why are you giving them special treatment? It’s a set of beliefs, that’s all. They are offended, so what? 

You dragged Corbyn into this bollocks somehow. If I discriminate against a Muslim or Jew because he’s a Muslim or Jew then that’s against the law.  If I saw that Mo and God liked sucking off kids that’s not against the law. It may upset them, but tough. 

6 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Yes, but they can’t commit a crime because of it. Why are you giving them special treatment? It’s a set of beliefs, that’s all. They are offended, so what? 

You dragged Corbyn into this bollocks somehow. If I discriminate against a Muslim or Jew because he’s a Muslim or Jew then that’s against the law.  If I saw that Mo and God liked sucking off kids that’s not against the law. It may upset them, but tough. 

I didn't say it gives them the right to commit a crime because of it.

Discrimination against an individual is a seperate issue I agree.

But I'm sure that under secular law one wouldn't be able to get away with expressing anti-semitic or anti-LGBTQ views in a public setting, let alone be encouraged and applauded for doing so. They, like Islam are beliefs and ideas. I think in most European countries, which rule by secular law, Holocaust denial is a crime for example so where is the freedom of speech in that? 

10 hours ago, ManéMan said:

I didn't say it gives them the right to commit a crime because of it.

Discrimination against an individual is a seperate issue I agree.

But I'm sure that under secular law one wouldn't be able to get away with expressing anti-semitic or anti-LGBTQ views in a public setting, let alone be encouraged and applauded for doing so. They, like Islam are beliefs and ideas. I think in most European countries, which rule by secular law, Holocaust denial is a crime for example so where is the freedom of speech in that? 

You’re giving them legitimacy by saying they were offended.  Who fucking cares. Other religions get offended and don’t cut heads off. 

Your point on LGBT is bollocks too, all the major religions talk against it all the time.  Some people get chucked off buildings because of it. They are free to SAY it’s bad, they can’t discriminate because of it. 

There are limits to free speech, defamation, threats etc. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

Becuase the rest of society may find things offensive but don’t cut peoples heads off when they do.  We go on marches, sign petitions, rant on Twitter etc. We dont make bombs and kill and maim teenage girls attending their first pop concert. That’s the fucking difference. 

Let's not pretend there aren't any atrocities being committed by non muslims all around the world - just the other week 2 muslim women were stabbed to death in Paris. 

7 minutes ago, ManéMan said:

Let's not pretend there aren't any atrocities being committed by non muslims all around the world - just the other week 2 muslim women were stabbed to death in Paris. 

No they weren’t. 

The women were arrested and charged. So France is treating the stabbed women the same way they’d treat any other citizens.