You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The New Star Wars Films

Section_31

I went to see Rogue One this afternoon. Bought my ticket, settled down with my popcorn and left the cinema just as the film started. Thoroughly enjoyed myself.

Was it salted or sweet?

Sweet. Salted is for bastards.

I don't understand why they make salted popcorn, let alone sell it. It is disgusting. There must be bastards who buy it though. Maybe they buy it to throw it.

Just got back from going early doors this morning.

Absolute quality.

Not sure if I think it's as good as TFA, I didn't think it had the same Star Wars feel as that film, but it is very, very good.

However, unlike the other prequels, it looks and sounds like a Star Wars film - dirty & run down ships & worlds. Amazing how far Lucas was away from his original template for his prequels and how the 2 new ones have nailed it.

Just got back from going early doors this morning.

Absolute quality.

Not sure if I think it's as good as TFA, I didn't think it had the same Star Wars feel as that film, but it is very, very good.

However, unlike the other prequels, it looks and sounds like a Star Wars film - dirty & run down ships & worlds. Amazing how far Lucas was away from his original template for his prequels and how the 2 new ones have nailed it.

To be, begrudgingly, fair to the prequels it was set pre-war and focused on royalty and governments, you wouldn't expect to see many dirty run down ships and worlds. The resistance was put together by stealing and salvaging decommissioned empire ships and hidden on outlying planets where resources were rare 20+ years after Phantom Menace.

Even if it wasn't CGI heavy and they had more practical sets I imagine you'd have seen a similar aesthetic.

To be, begrudgingly, fair to the prequels it was set pre-war and focused on royalty and governments, you wouldn't expect to see many dirty run down ships and worlds. The resistance was put together by stealing and salvaging decommissioned empire ships and hidden on outlying planets where resources were rare 20+ years after Phantom Menace.

Even if it wasn't CGI heavy and they had more practical sets I imagine you'd have seen a similar aesthetic.

I remain unconvinced but the ships, storm troopers & Aliens from TFA & Rogue One all look like from the original Star Wars films - they fit the theme and you can definitely say they are all from the universe.

Hardly anything in the other prequels looks like it belonged in the Star Wars 'universe'. Everything looked clean, shiny and new.

And shite.

Anyway, I digress, Rogue One was ace. Even though I greatly enjoyed it, it maybe didn't need Darth Vadar going bezerko at the end.

Anyway, I digress, Rogue One was ace. Even though I greatly enjoyed it, it maybe didn't need Darth Vadar going bezerko at the end.

I loved Vader going berzerko. For me it actually tied the character to the prequel and original trilogies brilliantly. It even lessened the hate I had for "Nooooooo". Easily led mighty powerful dickwad frustrated at not getting his own way.

• Upvote 1

For me The Phantom Menace is bad but it's not the shite fest that is Attack of the Clones.

Revenge of the Sith at least makes up for the other two (ignoring some awful dialog) and it was good to see a nod to it in Rogue One with the planet Vaders castle was set on - same planet Anakin "died" when fighting Obi Wan.

Attack of The Clones can fuck off though. Shite fest

• Upvote 1

Rogue One was very enjoyable.

Peter Cushing was odd. The CGI simply isnt there yet. If the whole film had been CGI characters of that quality it might have been an impressive achievement but next to humans you can tell it was CGI and that ruined it. And Princess Leia looked awful. A bit like Gena Davies does now

BMjSgJo.png

I've spent most of the week watching all the Star Wars movies and I'm not that convinced Phantom Menace and the other two prequels are that bad anymore.

But I have been drinking a lot of Jack Daniels.

The light saber dual between Darth Maul, Qui Gon Jin and Ben Kenobi in Phantom Menace is one of the great scenes from all the movies. It's just the rest of the movie is like a video game setup. Also the opening scene of Phantom Menace is also very good.