You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The shitness of modern football

Redder Lurtz

Thats the thing though, you jib it and the club will happily sell the seat to a half scarf wearing, selfie stick carrying whopper, meaning the alienation of our proper support continues.

But that's OK because he will buy 10 programmes to take back, spend £10 on scran at half time and hand over a ton in the club shop to have sone stupid slogan printed on the new shirt.

I know mate but I have to travel 150 miles to get over on top of the cost of the ST so it just ends up costing a bomb.

It's pretty much my only social life as well so I have a few pints and a good laugh but I could be doing that at home without the travel and the cost of tickets etc.

I got the ticket in 2012 after waiting 13 years and although I couldn't really afford it I couldn't pass up the chance.

By the end of the season it was clear I couldn't afford it so I loaned it out last season (and missed the fun!)

My finances are better now so I can afford it again technically but what's the point in spending so much money on something you don't enjoy or relate to any more?

If you kept going to the same pub every week and it changed massively (in a negative way) you'd stop going wouldn't you?

I guess everyone has a breaking point and i've reached mine.

• Upvote 2

I know mate but I have to travel 150 miles to get over on top of the cost of the ST so it just ends up costing a bomb.

It's pretty much my only social life as well so I have a few pints and a good laugh but I could be doing that at home without the travel and the cost of tickets etc.

I got the ticket in 2012 after waiting 13 years and although I couldn't really afford it I couldn't pass up the chance.

By the end of the season it was clear I couldn't afford it so I loaned it out last season (and missed the fun!)

My finances are better now so I can afford it again technically but what's the point in spending so much money on something you don't enjoy or relate to any more?

If you kept going to the same pub every week and it changed massively (in a negative way) you'd stop going wouldn't you?

I guess everyone has a breaking point and i've reached mine.

I see what you are saying 100% it's sad reflection on how things are

Bang on 'An Tha'

I was watching the Scottish cup semi final before our match and the tannoy twat went just before extra time kicked off "lets have a cheer if you things Caley will win? and how about a cheer if you think Celtic will win?!"

Fucking hell. Its like being at a village fete sometimes. I actually remember one season in the late 90's , the Celtic announcer started playing music after we won a corner. Its bad enough after am goal (Normally Fiesta by the pogues) but a fucking corner? Cunting showbiz fucks

I manged to pick up a spare in the nosebleed seats - but "only" £33 so not too bad - it was whopper central though - zero singing, no shouting or anything - just customers watching the game like they were at the theatre (admittedly standing up, but this made no difference to the abysmal atmosphere)

At the end of the game the lad sitting next to me (not with me) said to his mate "Oh well, win some lose some" without a hint of irony, he wasn't arsed at all.....

I said to my mate when got to the pub after the game "I might be done with it" 

It is dreadful, all round where i sat people couldn’t be bothered. We could go on about the reasons why all day, but it’s getting too expensive now to be that bad. It was a great day out until we got to the stadium….. It didn’t help that we produced one of our most inept performances ever at Wembley, but it shouldn’t matter. The fans should drive the team on not sit back to be entertained. It’s becoming like going to the theatre…only that’s cheaper.

There was also loads - and I mean loads of whoppers in half and half scarves, it is becoming a joke - why the frigging hell are people buying these things and wearing them. Not to mention grown men in replica shirts with names on the back...

The club aren’t doing enough to protect our dying traditions and culture Its fine while the grounds full etc but when it tails off it’s the core support that you’ve alienated that you rely on. They need to see the bigger picture yet they’re blind to it

Ah, so that's where Henderson was hiding.
  • Upvote 2

When the players walk out onto the pitch at Stamford Bridge, they walk towards the stand opposite the tunnel before lining up for the pre-match formalities instead of the stand nearest the tunnel like everywhere else. If it's an evening game, they turn the lights off and have a spotlight follow the teams as they walk out. The fucking racist Tory-and-UKIP-following, fuelled-by-the-blood money-of-a-Russian-demented-seal plastic flag-waving cunts.

I give my season ticket up in 2003, found it hard to justify the price once the kids starting coming along, think it was about £400 then. Thought I'd miss it like fuck. Bought myself one of them big motorised satellites,which I still have, for about the same price as my ST. Cancelled Sky saving hundreds over the years. And for about €8 pm I get nearly every European channel you can think of. I think I've missed 2 League games home & away in all that time. I love my weekends now, especially the Sat kick offs, few pints, takeaway delivered & still spend time with the kids. It got to the stage, if I was offered a free (happened a few times)I'd turn it down. I'm still passionate about it, still have a little sulk when we get beat etc, but just from my armchair & I wouldn't have it any other way now. The 'out of Towners' come in for some stick from local fans, but the ones I used to meet, season ticket holders from Norway & Ireland, the lad that used to sit by me from Cornwall. I gotta admire them, fuck all that messing around, time & expense. That's dedication that is. Especially at today's prices. Brownie you don't have to give any reason to justify it & it doesn't make you any lesser a red.

• Upvote 5

I give my season ticket up in 2003, found it hard to justify the price once the kids starting coming along, think it was about £400 then. Thought I'd miss it like fuck. Bought myself one of them big motorised satellites,which I still have, for about the same price as my ST. Cancelled Sky saving hundreds over the years. And for about €8 pm I get nearly every European channel you can think of. I think I've missed 2 League games home & away in all that time. I love my weekends now, especially the Sat kick offs, few pints, takeaway delivered & still spend time with the kids. It got to the stage, if I was offered a free (happened a few times)I'd turn it down. I'm still passionate about it, still have a little sulk when we get beat etc, but just from my armchair & I wouldn't have it any other way now. The 'out of Towners' come in for some stick from local fans, but the ones I used to meet, season ticket holders from Norway & Ireland, the lad that used to sit by me from Cornwall. I gotta admire them, fuck all that messing around, time & expense. That's dedication that is. Especially at today's prices. Brownie you don't have to give any reason to justify it & it doesn't make you any lesser a red.

Great post that mate, sounds like you have a great time!

That's what its all about nowadays. Football clubs no longer exist to win trophies, they exist to make money for rich cunt owners.

Fixed that to make it more accurate and universal.

Fact of the matter is that clubs don't care whose arse is in a seat now, whether its dyed-in-the-wool fans, or someone just coming to watch a one-off match, as long as theres an arse in the seat.

It is what it is. You could vote with your feet. But they'll still fill your seat.

liverpoolsno9 knows.

I've been going the match with my old man since I was about 8 and managed to get a season ticket of mine around ten years ago, but it's becoming harder and harder to justify. The cost, for one thing, is fucking scandalous in comparison to how much fans pay on the continent for season tickets. I've always said when it hits a grand, I'm out simply based on the principle of paying four figures to watch football. I may even do it before that though. I'm 28 later on this year and am giving thought to jibbing it when I'm 30.

The atmosphere, for one thing, is fucking crap. It's absolutely disgraceful and downright shameful. I can count on one hand the amount of times this season it's been decent. All of the Champions League games were shite- especially Basel, what was a must win game- and the nadir was the Besiktas game in the Europa League. Their fans were fucking class all game while ours just sat on their arse. When Balotelli scored the pen, it was excruciating watching thousands of people- kids and grown men who fucking should know better- all stand up in unison and start pointing to the away end going 'you're not singing anymore'. Really, is that what we've become?

The United game was fucking shite and the worst thing was at half time when Pele was asked what he made of the 'famous Anfield atmosphere'. The Mancs rightfully laughed their arses off because I know I'd be doing the same if I was in the away end at Old Trafford and they wheeled him out and was asked the same question after 45 mins of complete silence.

That's the thing though now- the 'famous Anfield atmosphere' is just something used to sell the club to sponsors and day trippers. In reality, it's fucking bollocks and has been for some time. Case in point, Wembley was whopper central on Sunday and the atmosphere was completely abysmal. In a fucking cup semi final. We were outsang by Villa fans for the whole 90 mins, and I don't think their players were the only ones who wanted it more.

I'm not having a go at OOTers and I don't want anyone to think I am. I know some great reds from outside the city and outside Merseyside who get the club. A mate of mine is from New York, for example, is clued up on the club and has fantastic knowledge.

It's just a whoppers mentality which I can't get my head around. I went to a St Pauli game earlier this year with a few mates and we basically watched the match with a beer and got involved with a bit of the singing (well, the bits we could understand because none of us speak German). That was pretty much it. I really can't understand what would possess a grown man to go the match wearing a captain's armband or dressed in a Liverpool superhero costume or with a camera strapped to his head, as in some pictures I've seen doing the rounds.

That's the thing now, we're a club every knobhead wants a piece of and the club are more than happy with that even if it is to the detriment of the atmosphere and culture of the club, so long as they're willing to spend a wedge on merchandise. We've sold our soul for sausage rolls.

• Upvote 7

It makes for very sad reading this, but I think it's a view reflected up and down the land.

I'm not one for drawing a distinction between classes, but the prices keep on going up, and the wages don't.

It's not just the tickets, it's the car parking / transport / sensible levels of food and drink... it's just starting to hurt the pockets and more and more.

For each fan that 'falls by the wayside', so far there's been another willing to pay more, and happy to take their place....

But there will come a day, perhaps not tomorrow, or next season or the next ten seasons, but there WILL come a day when clubs NEED the loyalty of fans. I suspect they may well have burned their bridges by then.

Any club, ANY, that truly claims it has the interests of their fans at heart, whilst benefitting tremendously from increased rights deals would pass on the benefit to their fans.

Not a single club does.... not one.

Make no mistake, a fan's relationship with his club is a case of unrequited love. They don't give a toss. 

• Upvote 1

It makes for very sad reading this, but I think it's a view reflected up and down the land.

I'm not one for drawing a distinction between classes, but the prices keep on going up, and the wages don't.

It's not just the tickets, it's the car parking / transport / sensible levels of food and drink... it's just starting to hurt the pockets and more and more.

For each fan that 'falls by the wayside', so far there's been another willing to pay more, and happy to take their place....

But there will come a day, perhaps not tomorrow, or next season or the next ten seasons, but there WILL come a day when clubs NEED the loyalty of fans. I suspect they may well have burned their bridges by then.

Any club, ANY, that truly claims it has the interests of their fans at heart, whilst benefitting tremendously from increased rights deals would pass on the benefit to their fans.

Not a single club does.... not one.

Make no mistake, a fan's relationship with his club is a case of unrequited love. They don't give a toss.

Some of the German clubs do their best.

German clubs make a lot less of their money as a percentage from TV deals. More money comes from sponsorship, often local businesses.

Reason number 762 why they do football better than we do.

The root of our problem is Sky.

And Capitalism.

A poisonous combination.

• Upvote 1

Seems at odds to bitch and moan at the commercialization of football (as if it's a new concept) on a forum littered with posts about spending money hand over fist on the latest shiny new players or giving existing player 'whatever they want' in remuneration their services.

I've been going the match with my old man since I was about 8 and managed to get a season ticket of mine around ten years ago, but it's becoming harder and harder to justify. The cost, for one thing, is fucking scandalous in comparison to how much fans pay on the continent for season tickets. I've always said when it hits a grand, I'm out simply based on the principle of paying four figures to watch football. I may even do it before that though. I'm 28 later on this year and am giving thought to jibbing it when I'm 30.

The atmosphere, for one thing, is fucking crap. It's absolutely disgraceful and downright shameful. I can count on one hand the amount of times this season it's been decent. All of the Champions League games were shite- especially Basel, what was a must win game- and the nadir was the Besiktas game in the Europa League. Their fans were fucking class all game while ours just sat on their arse. When Balotelli scored the pen, it was excruciating watching thousands of people- kids and grown men who fucking should know better- all stand up in unison and start pointing to the away end going 'you're not singing anymore'. Really, is that what we've become?

The United game was fucking shite and the worst thing was at half time when Pele was asked what he made of the 'famous Anfield atmosphere'. The Mancs rightfully laughed their arses off because I know I'd be doing the same if I was in the away end at Old Trafford and they wheeled him out and was asked the same question after 45 mins of complete silence.

That's the thing though now- the 'famous Anfield atmosphere' is just something used to sell the club to sponsors and day trippers. In reality, it's fucking bollocks and has been for some time. Case in point, Wembley was whopper central on Sunday and the atmosphere was completely abysmal. In a fucking cup semi final. We were outsang by Villa fans for the whole 90 mins, and I don't think their players were the only ones who wanted it more.

I'm not having a go at OOTers and I don't want anyone to think I am. I know some great reds from outside the city and outside Merseyside who get the club. A mate of mine is from New York, for example, is clued up on the club and has fantastic knowledge.

It's just a whoppers mentality which I can't get my head around. I went to a St Pauli game earlier this year with a few mates and we basically watched the match with a beer and got involved with a bit of the singing (well, the bits we could understand because none of us speak German). That was pretty much it. I really can't understand what would possess a grown man to go the match wearing a captain's armband or dressed in a Liverpool superhero costume or with a camera strapped to his head, as in some pictures I've seen doing the rounds.

That's the thing now, we're a club every knobhead wants a piece of and the club are more than happy with that even if it is to the detriment of the atmosphere and culture of the club, so long as they're willing to spend a wedge on merchandise. We've sold our soul for sausage rolls.

I think that Pele is a twat.

• Upvote 1