You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The shitness of modern football

Redder Lurtz

I'm not saying i disagree with much of this as i don't but, when i first started going to the match regularly in the 80s, people were saying the same thing. Obviously the specifics were different but the generalities were the same

Fair do's I can see that and yeah it was happening then, maybe I'm just old and less tolerant now...I remember jesters hats being the bug bear about 15 years ago and before that those half hats with rangers or celtic.

I don't disagree I just think it's worth fighting for. Having a go at RAOTL seems unfair as they are standing up to this shite.

My mates seat got moved for the Madrid game from the front of the kop. Ticket office said it was due to ' safety.' I thought it's probably so they can put bigger adverts in so went down to check before the game, some guys fuckin sat there with an ipad.

Where dya get ya ticket mate?

'Thomas Cook.'

Just a little harmless jibe for a bit of fun, suggesting Usher plays along pretending to like us lot but just does if for our cash while RAOTL seemingly only want their mates involved. Clearly this did not work. 

It was the pretending bit I was having a bit of fun with at Dave's expense mate - I was told he's still got Woo locked up in his basement making hundreds of fridge magnets that never see the light of day.

• Upvote 2

i believe it was their special edition FA cup shirt

I saw the advert for that.  "Hey, you there!  Would you like to spunk £60 on a shirt we may wear maybe twice, three times?  Maybe more if we get a replay!  But if we play away to someone in a similar shirt then we'll have to change to our regular kit.  Would you like to buy that too?"

Twats.

I saw the advert for that.  "Hey, you there!  Would you like to spunk £60 on a shirt we may wear maybe twice, three times?  Maybe more if we get a replay!  But if we play away to someone in a similar shirt then we'll have to change to our regular kit.  Would you like to buy that too?"

Twats.

A shit idea, just like it was when we did the same thing in the champions league

Every side in the Champions League has to declare 3 kits to UEFA, as stupid as it sounds. Apart from providing another opportunity to fleece the fans, it looks ridiculous when you've got an away kit that already provides maximum contrast. Apart from one pre-season game against Olympiakos, we've not used our 3rd kit at all (well, the goalkeepers have used their grey 3rd kit a few times).

Every side in the Champions League has to declare 3 kits to UEFA, as stupid as it sounds. Apart from providing another opportunity to fleece the fans, it looks ridiculous when you've got an away kit that already provides maximum contrast. Apart from one pre-season game against Olympiakos, we've not used our 3rd kit at all (well, the goalkeepers have used their grey 3rd kit a few times).

It's almost as if Uefa are in on the racket too....still was a joke when we actually changed our home strip though, think we did it two seasons didn't we?

It was the pretending bit I was having a bit of fun with at Dave's expense mate - I was told he's still got Woo locked up in his basement making hundreds of fridge magnets that never see the light of day.

Woo obviously isn't making much of a good job on those magnets. Not even managing to produce one a week for Fridge Magnet Friday at the moment. 

I think with the cold weather Dave is just instructing him to stand Woo to cuddle him all day so he stays warm. 

• Upvote 1

Just selfies in general. Totti scored for Roma against Lazio yesterday and took a selfie on the pitch.

Also, Tadic against the Mancs yesterday. Firstly they had to fetch his shirt from the changing room as he'd forgotten it there, and then he took his shirt off after scoring and got booked. Maybe he really doesn't like the shirt but those were two examples of 'Mario' behaviour that makes you question why daft cunts get paid more in a week than you make in a year.

Agreed, there was only one type of selfie we were interested in back in the day, and it involved a small newspaper ad for Pamela Anderson's sex tape and a pillow case.

• Upvote 1

I was in the main stand for the Barcelona game in 2007.  Gudjohnsen just scored to make it 2-2 on aggregate (us head on away goals) and it was proper nail biting stuff.  Very, very nervous.

At this point the guy in front of me proceeds to take out a laptop.  I just thought it looked so strange.  Even if he was a neutral, how could he be in the stadium and not want to watch this, sport at its absolute best.  Weird.

Game I was in the Kop a couple of years ago, I think the Newcastle match around New Year in Kenny's last season.

Two women in the row in front of me had the Norwegians sitting next to me kicked out by the stewards because when they jumped up to celebrate they had knocked the back of the seats these miserable old hags sat in.

Fucking foreigners coming over here celebrating our goals. 

• Upvote 3

That RAOTL statement? It's essentially just them bitching about wools and OOT'ers isn't it?

Is it the RAOTL forum where you more or less have to send them your birth certificate, a photo of you with a purple wheelie bin, a utility bill, 6 months bank statements, a letter from your Doctor to confirm he has tested you for scouseness and sit a four hour exam on 4th round FA Cup away ties against non league teams from 1923 to 1957?

It's the OOT'ers who know that kind of thing. I worked with a lad who had been a regular at Anfield in the Second Division. He told me I knew more about games that he had been at! It's called 'trying too hard'.

(It should be noted that he thought I was great. He loved the fact that people from distant lands like, um, Ireland followed his club.)

It's the OOT'ers who know that kind of thing. I worked with a lad who had been a regular at Anfield in the Second Division. He told me I knew more about games that he had been at! It's called 'trying too hard'.

(It should be noted that he thought I was great. He loved the fact that people from distant lands like, um, Ireland followed his club.)

First match I ever attended at Anfield was 87/88 against Spurs as an 8 year old. My dad had managed to get hold of a pair of season tickets for the day in the Kemlyn right at the end next to the Kop somehow through someone in the motor trade who knew someone down there.

We turned up in the car near Anfield and the old man was trying to find somewhere to park and there was a guy on the gate of the car park of what is now the Sandon asking where he could park. Guy standing there was immediately "you can't park that around here or it's gone, what are you doing down here" dad was saying the bairns mad about Liverpool so we wanted him to get to a match. 

The guy immediately said we could park in the car park (it was a private club or something at that stage?) and spent a good ten minutes directing us on where to park in what was at that stage a completely empty car park, we discovered why when we left and we were first car out of the place.

Went into the lounge thing in the Kemlyn and pretty much everyone who heard us talking was "Geordies what are you doing here" and as soon as they found out I was daft about the club they couldn't be nicer.

Probably spent most of the match being in awe of the Kop rather than watching the game!

Massively welcoming and in all honesty I suspect if it hadn't been for that by now I would have lost interest and would be one of those people who would say I support the club but only watched the odd match on telly and generally wouldn't be that arsed by now as rallying has always been a bigger passion for me than football.

You'll be hard pressed to find anyone who will defend scousers and the city more than I will and even my dad who supports most prejudices you can think of will pull up anyone who slags of Liverpool based on that day and it seriously pisses me off sometimes to see the way some people go on about the oot'ers and wools, jokingly fine, but the people who do it seriously or the likes of those pricks at the RAOTL are doing the city, the club and the Liverpool name a disservice. 

Just to prove my wool credentials, here is a daytripper photo of that occasion with me being seriously wool.

I'm the one on the right as you look at it, a young stringvest on the left.

wool.jpg

There was a guy at the last place I worked who is a scouser and Liverpool fan, he knew less about what was going on with the club and in the area in general.

My entire family are Newcastle fans apart from my dad who hates football so wants Liverpool to do well because I support them. See a cup final we are in though and my entire family wants a Liverpool win.

The club used to be special and really mean something, sadly it doesn't anymore. Most of that is on sky, the club and the players. Some of it is down to the way fans treat each other.

I still have the scarf which I'm wearing there and was bought on the day. It usually hangs over the signed Carra shirt I have framed that I won on here when Dave did the 23 foundation raffles although it's down at the moment because I've been decorating. 

• Upvote 18