You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mario Balotelli

WhiskeyJar

In that 10% he helped you win a title. I'd expect he'd do a fair bit better for us as he'd be top dog along with Sturridge. Or the two could fall out and it all ends in tears with Stevie throttling Balotelli.. who knows. I think he's a risk worth taking. He might be a mad head but people bringing up Mancini and Mourinho not liking him doesn't really mean much. Half the City squad didn't like Mancini and Mourinho was criticising Hazard not too long ago. 

Rodgers would get his head straight. One would hope so anyway. It's probably Balotelli's last chance at really proving everyone wrong. Fuck this up and he'll be playing in Russia or Dubai in a season or two. 

Well, it's hard to quantify which parts helped us and which cost us. He was part of a title winning squad, absolutely, but I'd say we've not missed him since he went. We're more settled now.

I don't think it's a case of getting is head straight. He can't be straightened. It's like trying to straighten out Gascoigne, or take the irritant out of Bellamy. Can't be done (in my opinion).

I'd say he's got a lot of skill but can only tap into it now and again. When he can't tap into it, he's hapless.

Other players might not have his skill, but their 'off' days are still decent, and thus contribute more on average.

Three teams have looked to offload him now, and none of the mega clubs have chased him, so chances are, he's no world beater. Looks brilliant on a good day, and that's about it.

Balotelli is a brilliant footballer, and if any manager can get his head sorted, it's Rodgers.

Do you think he fits into what Rodgers is trying to build here?

He is not what you'd call a Rodgers type player.

Neither is Suarez. Not to the same extent, admittedly, but still. This is where a good manager earns his onions.

On balotelli not doing it week in week out, at man city wasn't he behind a few strikers and played out wide often? I saw a stat today saying he has scored more goals then any other player in serie a in the same period since hes been there, that and Milan being shit suggests hes been good more times then not.

Yes he was always behind the striker (Tevez and/or Dzeko at the time). He simply didn't put the effort it most of the time.

He was popular, because he was a character and his antics were mildly amusing, but in the end, I'd say 75% of City fans knew his time was up. He'd score once in a while and win the fans back, but invariably he'd end up doing his shoulder shrugging routine all too often at times when we needed someone to work their nuts off.

Jesus, I've not read any football news away from here all day and thought this was just more of the same speculation from the other week.

Barrett saying we asked for a loan, but situation now moved on and there are talks over a permanent deal.  Sounds all very Sturridge 2 years ago.  Astonished to be honest, unless this is a very big prod in the direction of someone else, which it must be, surely?

Kevin D has nailed it.  No doubt a talent, if he somehow does come I hope I get to eat my hat through being wrong about him finally applying it rather than the frustration of watching him piss about and hold us back, but just feel certain it would end badly, for us.

The fear is no-one can get through to him and threats of he'll have to go here or there won't wash once he's on a permanent deal, when he's presumably already a millionaire.  I just genuinely doubt those threats would work.  Hope to be proved badly wrong if it happens.

• Upvote 1

I don't think I'd have to. Anfield/Rodgers wouldn't stand for someone strolling around the pitch. He'd either have to pull the finger out or be playing his football in Qatar. 

If that happened we'd make our money back at least. 

The problem isnt making the money back, its the waste of an important season.  Without having anyone good enough to replace him in the team (if it all goes wrong).

I'm not sure he will contribute as much as he will take away from us.  That's essentially where the reluctance comes from.  I don't give a fuck about drop kicks and corner flags and throwing £50 notes around in Greggs; I care about the togetherness and the motivation of the team.  And I care that if we are going to spend big, we do it on a player that has a level of consistency that Balotelli has never shown.  

• Upvote 6

Balotelli is a brilliant footballer, and if any manager can get his head sorted, it's Rodgers.

Neither is Suarez. Not to the same extent, admittedly, but still. This is where a good manager earns his onions.

With SD on this. I love Balotelli though I acknowledge he's been very inconsistent so far in his career. Tremendous talent though and I think Rodgers could do a job on him, like he did with Sturridge. I'd be excited if we sign him.

Suarez, aside from his amazing talent, worked hard everytime he set foot on the pitch in a red shirt. The pressing game we play under Rodgers was led from the front by Suarez.

Balotelli has not shown any reason to give us hope he'll do that for us every week.

Fucking hell since when did what managers say become gospel? If Rodgers had came out and said yeah he's mint and I wouldn't mind buying him, Milan would slaughter him. He's not Harry 'he's a triffic player but I won't speak about him but I'd love him here' Redknapp.

Nobody is fucking naive enough to think that everything that comes out of a managers mouth is gospel.

Categorically saying he will not be a Liverpool player is another matter entirely.