You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Featured: "A favour? From them? Dream on!" by John Brennan

tlw content

I have some sympathy with what Hermes is saying, but by the same token he's sort of damned if he doesn't and damned if he does is Rodgers. We've seen many a manager, notably Rafa, get fucking slaughtered for sitting on leads. Say if we'd shut up shop after 3-1 and conceded two headed goals (which is more than feasibly with our defence) people would have lambasted him for taking the foot off the pedal, likewise when we destroy teams like Arsenal by five goals we get praised for not sitting on our laurels. I agree it was naïve at times but also you stay true to what's taken you where you are. We got to the top of the league by being a gung-ho, swashbuckling side - and if we go down in flames that way, then that's just the way it's written.

• Upvote 2

We only have ourselves to blame. There was no need to force the issue either at 0-0 against Chelsea or 3-0 up last night.

We're top of the league exactly because we are a team that tries to 'force the issue'.

I know.

And we've blown it because of the same reason. Fanny old game, eh?

So we should have changed our approach for crystal palace? The approach that has seen us batter Spurs twice, Arsenal, Everton, United? Fuck pragmatism, we go all out every time we step on the pitch and I love it.

When our third went in I thought we'd score at least two more, there was time left and it looked like we could do it. The goal difference became a reality, especially with newcastle at home who I reckon we could have hit for six.

The first Palace goal knocked us sideways, we panicked and lost the plot.

I have some sympathy with what Hermes is saying, but by the same token he's sort of damned if he doesn't and damned if he does is Rodgers. We've seen many a manager, notably Rafa, get fucking slaughtered for sitting on leads. Say if we'd shut up shop after 3-1 and conceded two headed goals (which is more than feasibly with our defence) people would have lambasted him for taking the foot off the pedal, likewise when we destroy teams like Arsenal by five goals we get praised for not sitting on our laurels. I agree it was naïve at times but also you stay true to what's taken you where you are. We got to the top of the league by being a gung-ho, swashbuckling side - and if we go down in flames that way, then that's just the way it's written.

Good point. If we'd sat deeper and deeper and invited pressure on and still conceded 2 more goals we would have been criticized for not playing to our strengths. If a deserved 4th had gone in we would have been home and dry.

West Ham Norwich and City were all close where points could have been dropped had a detail here or there been different.

We'll all learn from this, scant consolation though it seems today and we'll be a better side for it next season.

So we should have changed our approach for crystal palace? The approach that has seen us batter Spurs twice, Arsenal, Everton, United? Fuck pragmatism, we go all out every time we step on the pitch and I love it.

Aye, you're right. We should attack for ninety minutes come what may. Frankly, i think that as a club we're above the art of defending.

Good point. If we'd sat deeper and deeper and invited pressure on and still conceded 2 more goals we would have been criticized for not playing to our strengths. If a deserved 4th had gone in we would have been home and dry.

West Ham Norwich and City were all close where points could have been dropped had a detail here or there been different.

We'll all learn from this, scant consolation though it seems today and we'll be a better side for it next season.

And therein lies the problem. Read that and weep: "If a deserved 4th had gone in we would have been home and dry." Three up. With twenty minutes left. To Crystal Palace. Who had scored 28 goals in 36 games before last night. And we need a fourth for 'insurance' to be home and dry?

Even Rodgers has said it's unacceptable. But hey, whatever, we've made "great strides". How dare we complain.

The last two games we have conceded 3 goals in 9 minutes and gave away a costly goal through a mistake that happens very rarely.

These are one off things and are not a reflection of our season or time under Rodgers, games like against spurs, and arsenal and Everton at home are.

Long may this style of football continue and with a stronger squad it can only get better.

The last two games we have conceded 3 goals in 9 minutes and gave away a costly goal through a mistake that happens very rarely.

These are one off things and are not a reflection of our season or time under Rodgers, games like against spurs, and arsenal and Everton at home are.

Long may this style of football continue and with a stronger squad it can only get better.

Individual errors and sloppy defending have characterised our season as much as our attractive play has, in my view. The errors are certainly not rare.

It's something Rodgers has been unable to get to grips with throughout his career.

And therein lies the problem. Read that and weep: "If a deserved 4th had gone in we would have been home and dry." Three up. With twenty minutes left. To Crystal Palace. Who had scored 28 goals in 36 games before last night. And we need a fourth for 'insurance' to be home and dry?

Even Rodgers has said it's unacceptable. But hey, whatever, we've made "great strides". How dare we complain.

Rodgers has said the defending was criminal, not the sustained offensive approach after the 3rd goal. He criticised errors and poor decisions not the tactical approach from which he hasn't veered from all season.

In hindsight yes I'd rather we had stopped our full backs pushing on so much but there's no guarantee we would have kept them out if we'd sat deep and conceded possession. Maybe we would have seen the game out but we'd also be criticised for taking the foot off the pedal if we didn't.