You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Guitar enthusiasts.

withnail71

• 5 months later...

Went to look at guitars over the weekend. I'm trying to play more but my mid-2000s Japanese Fender Jaguar isn't quite doing it for me in terms of the stuff I want to play. I think it needs rewiring and everything too. Anyway, you can never have enough guitars and I wanted to freshen up my line-up. 

Came back home raving about the PRS SE 24-08 custom. Just loved how it played, loved the extended fretboard, tone switching options, and the design and craftsmanship belied the relatively modest price tag. 

Told the mrs I was in two minds about actually getting it as, although I don't really need it, it's 15% off this weekend at Sam Ash. She raised it again on Sunday and asked "so what do you think about that Guitar?" I said I really wanted it but don't need it but will sell some stuff (PS4, Oculus Rift 2, etc.) to raise the cash organically. 

She comes home last night and asks me to help her get some shopping out of the car and there it is sitting on the back seat. Cue me bursting into tears. Was feeling proper low about myself yesterday and it just blew me away. Absolutely delighted with it. Worralass. 

The colour might split opinion, but I fucking love it.

IMG_3975.jpg

IMG_3978.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 16

1 hour ago, Chris said:

Went to look at guitars over the weekend. I'm trying to play more but my mid-2000s Japanese Fender Jaguar isn't quite doing it for me in terms of the stuff I want to play. I think it needs rewiring and everything too. Anyway, you can never have enough guitars and I wanted to freshen up my line-up. 

Came back home raving about the PRS SE 24-08 custom. Just loved how it played, loved the extended fretboard, tone switching options, and the design and craftsmanship belied the relatively modest price tag. 

Told the mrs I was in two minds about actually getting it as, although I don't really need it, it's 15% off this weekend at Sam Ash. She raised it again on Sunday and asked "so what do you think about that Guitar?" I said I really wanted it but don't need it but will sell some stuff (PS4, Oculus Rift 2, etc.) to raise the cash organically. 

She comes home last night and asks me to help her get some shopping out of the car and there it is sitting on the back seat. Cue me bursting into tears. Was feeling proper low about myself yesterday and it just blew me away. Absolutely delighted with it. Worralass. 

IMG_3975.jpg

IMG_3978.jpg

That post my friend, is every lind of beautiful. Love the colour in that baby.

Love my PRS acoustic. If I could justify another leccy guitar, the PRS SE-24 would be near the top of my list. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, cochyn said:

That post my friend, is every lind of beautiful. Love the colour in that baby.

Love my PRS acoustic. If I could justify another leccy guitar, the PRS SE-24 would be near the top of your list. 

Thanks, man. It seriously plays so beautifully and the sustain on the notes, especially when you add a little bit of vibrato, is off the charts. Can't believe she's mine! 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Chris said:

Thanks, man. It seriously plays so beautifully and the sustain on the notes, especially when you add a little bit of vibrato. Can't believe she's mine! 

I don't know what it is about PRS, but the neck just feels so smooth to move around, almost lighter than most 'rock' guitars, if that makes sense?

Makes them really enjoyable to play.

Lovely story!

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Chris said:

Thanks, man. It seriously plays so beautifully and the sustain on the notes, especially when you add a little bit of vibrato, is off the charts. Can't believe she's mine! 

She seems sound - make sure you thank her.

Oh, you mean the guitar....

5 hours ago, Chris said:

IMG_3975.jpg

IMG_3978.jpg

Nice. Presumably it’s phase switched for that middle setting Peter Green / Brian May goodness.

20 hours ago, Chris said:

IMG_3975.jpg

IMG_3978.jpg

thats a beauty. Mrs Chris is as well for surprising you with that

• Upvote 1

PRS' are quality, sound great, great to play. I love the inlays. Got Santana on their side, which is a huge plus for me.

But I don't like the styling other than that personally. Bit like Parker guitars, lovely to play, wouldn't buy one purely because of the looks.

As a shit guitarist personal taste in the aesthetics is a major factor. There's only one reason why my electric has a bigsby, and it's not because I play any tremelo. It's because I want to hate myself whenever I have to change a string. 

• Upvote 2

As a player of no ability whatsoever and purely for the looks a white flying V does it for me, as a lover of metal and thrash it looks the biz. Quite partial to the Explorer as well. My mate treats with them with disdain, though he can actually play, referring to all such things as "pointy guitars"

1 hour ago, Pidge said:

PRS' are quality, sound great, great to play. I love the inlays. Got Santana on their side, which is a huge plus for me.

But I don't like the styling other than that personally. Bit like Parker guitars, lovely to play, wouldn't buy one purely because of the looks.

As a shit guitarist personal taste in the aesthetics is a major factor. There's only one reason why my electric has a bigsby, and it's not because I play any tremelo. It's because I want to hate myself whenever I have to change a string. 

Had a Di Punto Belvedere Deluxe with a bigsby. Made the mistake of taking all the strings off when I was oiling the fretboard, what a twat that proved the restring.

Fucking about with pencil rubbers and wooden rulers, fucking all sorts.

A lot of fun to play though.

6 hours ago, redinblack said:

As a player of no ability whatsoever and purely for the looks a white flying V does it for me, as a lover of metal and thrash it looks the biz. Quite partial to the Explorer as well. My mate treats with them with disdain, though he can actually play, referring to all such things as "pointy guitars"

I hate those flying V things,ugly as sin and associated with the worst type of music I can think of. Although there are some good heavy rock songs as there are rap songs I suppose. If you have a Dean version of the flying V your resale price has just risen considerably in the last few weeks.

1 minute ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I hate those flying V things,ugly as sin and associated with the worst type of music I can think of. Although there are some good heavy rock songs as there are rap songs I suppose. If you have a Dean version of the flying V your resale price has just risen considerably in the last few weeks.

Each to their own. I hear people wank on about Clapton on here and he hasn't done anything remotely listenable in 50 years,but there you go. Live and let live.

4 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

images.jpeg

Chris, Sam Ash? I got one of my guitars from them, was it from the Richmond, Virginia store. there's another huge music store almost next door. I went with my brother in law who had some sort of gift voucher to spend, he got a set of strings.
I was overwhelmed by the wall to wall. floor to ceiling display of instruments and had to have one.