You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Daniel Sturridge

WhiskeyJar

Daniel Sturridge  

287 members have voted

1. 1. Daniel Sturridge

• We need him, get him in January
    • Not what we need. We need someone with more quality and experience
    • Not seen him play enough/Unsure about him

I don't study your posts that closely but I always get the impression that you think the team hasn't been playing well...

I disagree that Allen's been playing badly anyway. He started off very well' date=' and he's become a little less consistent but certainly nothing to worry about.[/quote']

I think we've played well last 2 months bar missing the killer instinct in final 3rd that our play deserved, ironically I think we were poor at west ham but got the result. I still think our best performance was WBA in the cup.

I think Allen hasn't really stood out, and my point is I think there'll be little creativity with both him and Lucas in MF 3, anyway I'm sounding repetitive and I have a hangover so I'll leave it there.

I think we've played well last 2 months bar missing the killer instinct in final 3rd that our play deserved, ironically I think we were poor at west ham but got the result. I still think our best performance was WBA in the cup.

I think Allen hasn't really stood out, and my point is I think there'll be little creativity with both him and Lucas in MF 3, anyway I'm sounding repetitive and I have a hangover so I'll leave it there.

I don't agree that he hasn't stood out. I can appreciate why Rodgers wanted him because his first touch and composure when he is being closed down is crucial to us keeping possession which we all know is central to Rodger's style.

I know what you mean about creativity though. Both Allen and Lucas have many attributes but you can't say goals are an obvious one. Overall though I'm optimistic that this is all going somewhere and we are starting to show early signs of the shape and understanding that is needed to make our control of games more effective.

I disagree with the creativity thing. He's not playing behind the striker, so I don't expect him to be 'sending players in' constantly. I'm thinking of a few key passes since I've joined us that have been sublime and provided the opportunity of a chance.

I don't agree that he hasn't stood out. I can appreciate why Rodgers wanted him because his first touch and composure when he is being closed down is crucial to us keeping possession which we all know is central to Rodger's style.

I know what you mean about creativity though. Both Allen and Lucas have many attributes but you can't say goals are an obvious one. Overall though I'm optimistic that this is all going somewhere and we are starting to show early signs of the shape and understanding that is needed to make our control of games more effective.

That's not really a big deal, to be honest. Goals from the center of midfield are more of a bonus than a necessity.

If we need 10+ goals from a central midfielder to finish 4th, then our forward line isn't really doing it's job.

We need more consistent goals from upfront before we start criticizing the goals from midfield. If we start scoring from our forwards, then we'll start seeing more goals from midfield, as well. Footy is like Poker. Win a few pots in a row, and your opponents will be more willing to throw away their hands to you... just like with goals. We score one or two, and confidently keep coming forward? Weak Opposition will fucking crumble and thats when our midfield will see more scoring opportunities, because they'll be playing deeper and deeper and thinking about the shit that they've involuntarily released into their undies.

However, we need our first XI forwards to all be hitting 10ish goals a season. That would mean 30 goals coming from our forwards... plus any extras that they get.

We'll get the odd goal from our defenders, which is excellent, and we'll be rocking. It all comes down to the fear our forwards cause...

Suarez drives defenses completely fucking batty, but we simply have no other fear players.

Adding Sturridge adds a player who is young, quick, and WILL SCORE. We immediately have another big goal threat up front.

That's not really a big deal, to be honest. Goals from the center of midfield are more of a bonus than a necessity.

If we need 10+ goals from a central midfielder to finish 4th, then our forward line isn't really doing it's job.

I think we do need one of the three in midfield to be a scoring threat though.

United play 4-4-2, so they have wide players and two strikers getting goals.

In 2008/9 we had Gerrard in a free role, supporting Torres and contributing with goals to help Torres and the wide players.

In a 4-3-3 formation we can't just expect the front three to get all the goals. They probably need to get the majority, however I don't think we can afford to have three players in centre midfield not scoring or contributing.

Not saying Allen has to be that man, but someone needs to be.

Allen is capable of contributing goals, Gerrard should be capable of contributing goals, Enrique and Johnson can offer a threat and our centre halfs likewise. If our front three is scoring 40-50 goals between them and the likes of Borini chip in with a few, added to the 10 or 15 goals we could expect from the rest of the team we should be golden.

I think we do need one of the three in midfield to be a scoring threat though.

United play 4-4-2, so they have wide players and two strikers getting goals.

In 2008/9 we had Gerrard in a free role, supporting Torres and contributing with goals to help Torres and the wide players.

In a 4-3-3 formation we can't just expect the front three to get all the goals. They probably need to get the majority, however I don't think we can afford to have three players in centre midfield not scoring or contributing.

Not saying Allen has to be that man, but someone needs to be.

I didn't say that they wouldn't be contributing. We have to attack as a team, and get our entire playing staff to move forward up to the pitch with a high line... The more we condense in their half, the more players will be able to get scoring chances.

I think Allen can score goals, and Gerrard will always be a scoring threat (even for a few years yet)... That's all we can ask for, really. If Gerrard hits 6+ goals, and Allen hits a couple... and we see a few goals from Shelvey (or Sahin, whilst he's here) then we're going to have enough goal support to our forwards.

We need Borini, Sterling, (New Forward), (New Forward), and Assaidi to chip in with goals, as well.

Allen is capable of contributing goals, Gerrard should be capable of contributing goals, Enrique and Johnson can offer a threat and our centre halfs likewise. If our front three is scoring 40-50 goals between them and the likes of Borini chip in with a few, added to the 10 or 15 goals we could expect from the rest of the team we should be golden.

Agreed.

Alonso didn't contribute much more considering he was taking set pieces and penalties.

Gerrard spending as much time in our box as the opposition's is a big part of the problem. Manager needs to stop experimenting. Lucas, Allen, Gerrard etc have all shown beyond doubt where their best positions are, so why piss around?

Beats me. Almost as much as the Sturridge interest. An anti-team player if ever there was one.

Agree with all of this. Sturridge will almost certainly get goals but I can't ever remember him playing a decent pass.

Not if they have the chance to score, I agree. But Sturridge is being bought to play across the front three.

He's got to play wide right, especially as no-one else in the squad can (or is being played there).

My worry isn't about whether he'll be too greedy, it'll be nice having a player with some confidence, its the burden he may put on our right back.

Still reckon he'd be an alright signing.

I always thought that Sturridge would follow in Drogba's footsteps, but Torres is an Abramovich buy, and he wants to see him play. I don't think Sturridge (regardless of how hard he tries) is going to play through the middle like he wants to. But his role at Chelsea is as a support player for the main man - which is exactly what we need for Suarez. I don't think we're a good fit for Sturridge. He'd be better off at a place where he's going to be a number 9. Maybe at Newcastle, if they lose Ba.

I don't think Sturridge (regardless of how hard he tries) is going to play through the middle like he wants to. But his role at Chelsea is as a support player for the main man - which is exactly what we need for Suarez. I don't think we're a good fit for Sturridge. He'd be better off at a place where he's going to be a number 9.

Some shrewd observations there.

But any forward purchase is a gamble. I suspect that Sturridge will feel that he has something to prove and will have one eye on being at a club where he plays regularly to enhance his international chances.

Given the dearth of goalscoring in the side beyond Suarez, he is worth a go.

The good news is that Rodgers has shown that he can improve players. I can't remember many examples of players getting noticably better under Houllier, Rafa or Kenny, but under Rodgers we've seen improvements in Henderson, Sterling, Enrique and (for me) Suarez. No reason why he can't make Sturridge a better and more rounded player as well.