You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The ideal January signing

Bert

We need poacher. As much as I hate him and as shit a footballer he is. Hernandez is perfect for us, when he went through against Chelsea in the cup I instantly assumed he'd score, none of our players gives me that confidence. Also, and I know this type of player is hard to find, we need a player who is capable of creating something out of nothing, not like Suarez who will twist and turn and run at people, I mean someone who give us that bit creative genius in the and around the box, like Hazard for Ramires goal. Keeping Lucas fit is an absolute must!

We need poacher. As much as I hate him and as shit a footballer he is. Hernandez is perfect for us, when he went through against Chelsea in the cup I instantly assumed he'd score, none of our players gives me that confidence. Also, and I know this type of player is hard to find, we need a player who is capable of creating something out of nothing, not like Suarez who will twist and turn and run at people, I mean someone who give us that bit creative genius in the and around the box, like Hazard for Ramires goal. Keeping Lucas fit is an absolute must!

I agree we need a finisher.

However I think in this system the striker has to be able to hold up the ball, as he is often on his own. That is something Yesil failed to do last night and he is by all accounts a good finisher. But the team needs the striker to hold up the ball, something Suarez is actually very good at doing.

It is a reason why I think Ngoo might be a better option than Yesil or Morgan as back up to Suarez, as this system you need a striker who is an all rounder. Ngoo is more of that type of player than the others, at present.

It is a reason why I'd go for Ba, he can hold the ball up, is good in the air, a good finisher, is mobile and can link play.

Ok. We sign him then, on Walcott style wages, and his knee explodes three games later.

Good signing? Or Bad signing?

Or he scores goals which get us near the top four.

It is a risk, but given the amount of football he has played the last three years, his knee can't be that bad.

Ok. We sign him then, on Walcott style wages, and his knee explodes three games later.

Good signing? Or Bad signing?

I'd like to think the wages and contract length would reflect his injury record. To be honest my point wasn't really about Ba. I'd just be happy to see an experienced striker come in. If he's 30, so be it. We've got young lads for the future, Borini, Morgan, Yesil, N'Goo.

Being just slightly more pragmatic could make a huge difference to the short/mid term future. Obviously its as much, if not more, to do with the owners as it is Rodgers.

I agree we need a finisher.

However I think in this system the striker has to be able to hold up the ball' date=' as he is often on his own. That is something Yesil failed to do last night and he is by all accounts a good finisher. But the team needs the striker to hold up the ball, something Suarez is actually very good at doing.

It is a reason why I think Ngoo might be a better option than Yesil or Morgan as back up to Suarez, as this system you need a striker who is an all rounder. Ngoo is more of that type of player than the others, at present.

It is a reason why I'd go for Ba, he can hold the ball up, is good in the air, a good finisher, is mobile and can link play.[/quote']

It's a hard one isn't it, it depends how quickly we attack really, if it's a slow build up where the striker doesn't get involved then we go through the gears quickly and he gets in behind their defence.

Suarez is good at holding it up at times but other times he's too direct and is prepared to go it alone, sometimes works. Definitely agree with Ngoo as better choice as a back up, he's quick for a big lad so offers us hold up play and spinning the defence.

Ba could be a sensation for us. Better than Cisse IMO, only hold up is this knee rumour, I'm not sure how true it all is however.

It is a risk, but given the amount of football he has played the last three years, his knee can't be that bad.

LFD. Can you just admit that when he's failed several medicals, and now is demand big wages from Newcastle, that the guy might not be a fucking good idea?

Sure, it MIGHT pay off. His knee MIGHT not explode. Would you want to risk our meager transfer kitty on it? Would you bet the season on it?

LFD. Can you just admit that when he's failed several medicals, and now is demand big wages from Newcastle, that the guy might not be a fucking good idea?

Sure, it MIGHT pay off. His knee MIGHT not explode. Would you want to risk our meager transfer kitty on it? Would you bet the season on it?

It is a risk and I can understand why you wouldn't take it.

But it is one Newcastle took and it paid off massively.

Moneyball is about getting players who value is low and Ba at £7 million is very good value, as he is a £20 million player when fit.

I'd try and get Walcott and Ba in January, then if Ba does go tits up we'll still have another option upfront, but one which can play wide otherwise. If we can't get Walcott, then someone similar - maybe Sturridge.

Or his knee is three years older and more worn put than when it was first diagnosed as a risk?

There's more Demba Ba's out there without potentially career threatening conditions.

It is a risk.

But it is one Newcastle took and it paid off massively.

Moneyball is about getting players who value is low and Ba at £7 million is very good value, as he is a £20 million player when fit.

I'd try and get Walcott and Ba in January, then if Ba does go tits up we'll still have another option upfront, but one which can play wide otherwise. If we can't get Walcott, then someone similar - maybe Sturridge.

Oh for FUCKS sakes... First of all, Moneyball is a name of a film. Second of all, you're thinking Sabremetrics, which is a way of using SOLELY statistics to find statistically undervalued players... to maximize your ability to WIN FUCKING BASEBALL GAMES!

Baseball. Not Football. Baseball. Baseball. Baseball.

Comolli and Dalglish tried to buy according to statistics and failed miserably.

Now shut the fuck up about your 'moneyball' because it has no baring on this season, and Rodgers' purchases.

Third, we cannot afford a 'risk'. We simply cannot. Both Walcott, with his dodgy injury record, and Ba, with his failed medicals, are fucking risks. You're suggesting we blow what money we have to buy BOTH of them.

Christ on a fucking canoe going down shit's creek.

Or his knee is three years older and more worn put than when it was first diagnosed as a risk?

There's more Demba Ba's out there without potentially career threatening conditions.

If our scouts can find another Demba Ba, then great!

But personally I think at £7 million, given his scoring record, his attributes and proven in the league - I'd go for it.

It is amazing that he has played 43 games for Newcastle if his knee is so bad.

Oh for FUCKS sakes... First of all, Moneyball is a name of a film. Second of all, you're thinking Sabremetrics, which is a way of using SOLELY statistics to find statistically undervalued players... to maximize your ability to WIN FUCKING BASEBALL GAMES!

Baseball. Not Football. Baseball. Baseball. Baseball.

Comolli and Dalglish tried to buy according to statistics and failed miserably.

Now shut the fuck up about your 'moneyball' because it has no baring on this season, and Rodgers' purchases.

Secondly, we cannot afford a 'risk'. We simply cannot. Both Walcott, with his dodgy injury record, and Ba, with his failed medicals, are fucking risks. You're suggesting we blow what money we have to buy BOTH of them.

Christ on a fucking canoe going down shit's creek.

Calm down, you are sounding like a complete twat.

I only mentioned moneyball, because I thought that was what you were suggesting before, with the short term reference. I know about moneyball, I also know it is about baseball - although it doesn't mean it can't work in football - doofus!

Every transfer is a risk!

Walcott played 63 games the last 2 seasons, hardly injury prone.

Now try and debate without insulting people.

Calm down, you are sounding like a complete twat.

I only mentioned moneyball, because I thought that was what you were suggesting before, with the short term reference. I know about moneyball, I also know it is about baseball - although it doesn't mean it can't work in football - doofus!

82881718.gif

So, you mentioned a film(or the book), because you thought I was suggesting a film(or the book), as a short term reference... and you know about a film(or book), but you want a film, about the Oakland Athletics, to work in football?

... and you're calling me a doofus? Jesus wept.

alm down, you are sounding like a complete twat.

Every transfer is a risk!

Walcott played 63 games the last 2 seasons, hardly injury prone.

Oh fuck me... You're really on the ball today, genius.

Feel free to highlight where I've 'insulted' you.

So, you mentioned a film(or the book), because you thought I was suggesting a film(or the book), as a short term reference... and you know about a film(or book), but you want a film, about the Oakland Athletics, to work in football?

... and you're calling me a doofus? Jesus wept.

I think it is sad that someone can't have a different opinion to you, without you throwing needless abuse, like telling others to "shut the fuck up!". It is pathetic and a reason why the FF has gone to shite, you are a perfect example of that.

I have explained why I mentioned moneyball, because I thought you were refering to it earlier. If you weren't fair enough, no big issue.

People can disagree, I said earlier - "I can understand why you wouldn't take it." I could see your point of view, even though I disagreed. You however with your narrow mind decided to throw insults and actually talk crap about Walcott being injury prone, where I clearly prove he isn't.

You have perfectly valid reasons why not to go for Ba, as he has failed some medicals.

I have valid reasons as to go for him - as Newcaslte he has played a lot of football, scored loads of goals and they have reaped the rewards.

Now accept other peoples views and debate properly and try and improve the site, rather than spouting irrational, abusive, narrow mindedness!

I think it is sad that someone can't have a different opinion to you, without you throwing needless abuse, like telling others to "shut the fuck up!". It is pathetic and a reason why the FF has gone to shite, you are a perfect example of that.

I have explained why I mentioned moneyball, because I thought you were refering to it earlier. If you weren't fair enough, no big issue.

People can disagree, I said earlier - "I can understand why you wouldn't take it." I could see your point of view, even though I disagreed. You however with your narrow mind decided to throw insults and actually talk crap about Walcott being injury prone, where I clearly prove he isn't.

You have perfectly valid reasons why not to go for Ba, as he has failed some medicals.

I have valid reasons as to go for him - as Newcaslte he has played a lot of football, scored loads of goals and they have reaped the rewards.

Now accept other peoples views and debate properly and try and improve the site, rather than spouting irrational, abusive, narrow mindedness!

You are reading what you are writing, right?

Yes, now either debate properly or stop replying to me.

You don't act like this on MF, so no need to act differently on here.

Give an opinion without telling people to "shut the fuck up!"

Yes, now either debate properly or stop replying to me.

You don't act like this on MF, so no need to act differently on here.

Give an opinion without telling people to "shut the fuck up!"

I know you got negged, and I know it effects you deeply... and you've had your little baby cry, revenge neg, and torrent of Abuse... all whilst climbing on your moral platform.

Are you better? Or still crying? Can you see that I told you to 'shut the fuck up' about Moneyball, because Moneyball is a film(and book, oddly enough) about the Oakland Athletics.

I know you got negged, and I know it effects you deeply... and you've had your little baby cry, revenge neg, and torrent of Abuse... all whilst climbing on your moral platform.

Are you better? Or still crying? Can you see that I told you to 'shut the fuck up' about Moneyball, because Moneyball is a film(and book, oddly enough) about the Oakland Athletics.

*sigh*

Trying to bring this back on topic...

Who would you get?

*sigh*

Trying to bring this back on topic...

Who would you get?

Depends on the money we've got...

Seydou Doumba would be a good shout. Still scoring goals for fun, at CSKA, and is 24 years old.

Pierre Aubameyang... 23 year old at St. Etienne... 2-1 last season, and scoring well this year too... great finisher.

That Korean kid that hit a brace against Dortmund, maybe? HSV Player. He looks good.

There are loads of good young strikers around. There are plenty that will improve us... as well....

I think there's something more fundamental to fix, and I don't know what it is, but look at the following:

Suarez scored 81 in 100 games for Ajax, we haven't got that same player. - kuyt had a similar record in holland. The premier league is just more difficult than the dutch league plus there's the pressure of playing for liverpool. Suarez has hit the ground running here but the likes of adam, carroll, downing and henderson were found out. They were either never good enough for us despite having at least one decent season for their previous teams or they couldn't handle playing for us.

Gerrard considered the finest player in the world 3 years ago, now average. - well he's in his early 30's now and he was out for a year with a bad injury plus I still reckon he's being played out of position. you could see the impact he made off the bench on wednesday when he was pushed right up with suarez. I think we should be at least playing him off suarez at home.

Reina once widely considered as good as Casillas, now feeble. this is probably the hardest one to explain but many seem to point to keeper coach xavi valero leaving. whatever there's no doubt he's not as good as he was or maybe he just gets punished for his mistakes more these days.

Skrtel and Agger no longer an imperious presence. probably more to do with the open style although nearly every team seems to be conceding more goals these days. Skrtel was brilliant last season cos he cut out all the stupid frees he used to give away and just got on with defending. this season he has regressed somewhat which is to be expected as he tries to find his way under a new manager. Agger is still brilliant, I don't think his game has suffered under BR but we are still conseding too many goals possibly from not defending as well as a team.

Enrique was amazing early last season, now fucking broken. - half way through the season he started getting found out as maybe not being the best defender. good going forward, terrible crosser of the ball (although he put in a few decent ones against reading). seemed to be at his best in the middle third. I'm not writing him off he can still be a good player for us.

Sahin was player of the year in Germany 18 months ago, now average. - looks desperately unfit and slow. i watched him against arsenal and he was devastatingly slow against diaby but I thought it was just rustiness. he's played plenty since then but was still looking very unfit against everton. Like Gerrard I think he's playing out of position as the furthest player forward. swap him and stevie and we will be rocking.

Downing had SOME quality at one point, now totally gone. - was never good enough and that's why no big team ever picked him up until he was 28. the other night against swansea perfectly summed him up. he didn't want to take shots at 2-1 instead he kept trying to give it to suarez which isn't a bad thing but we're over reliant on him as it is. fucking useless

Henderson the same, just a ghost now. - henderson was never the player some people thought he was. I watched being totally outshone by spearing for liverpool away to sunderland a few years ago and I couldn't see what all the fuss was about. unlike downing he has time on his hands but the fact we tried to flog him to fulham as part of the dempsey deal doesn't bode well for him. he'll play anywhere and do a job but BR didn't do him any favours the other night playing at right back surely flanagan or someone else could have played there the other night and henderson could've played midfield to give allen a rest?

Why?

Theres a sinister effect that sucks the life and confidence out of top players at this club these days, is it a happy environment?

Same could be said of Aquilani, Adam, Maxi, they had SOME quality and we totally fumbled it, or allowed them to stop giving a fuck, and this is the big problem. Look at United with average players like Anderson or Evans, they still manage to extract some fucking good use out of them from time to time. We don't, we just get short changed and we give up on them, and they give up on us.

We're not going to challenge City, I'm not that myopic, but we shouldn't be finishing mid table, no way.