You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The ideal January signing

Bert

How much would Soldado cost, though? I know Valencia aren't the richest club and would probably sell for the right price, but I imagine that price would be quite high in January.

He'd be very good if it were doable, though. Just the right age to come in, still have some resale value in 2 years, by which time hopefully one of the youngsters (Yesil, Morgan, or Hodzic) would be ready to be a big part of our attacking setup.

How much would Soldado cost, though? I know Valencia aren't the richest club and would probably sell for the right price, but I imagine that price would be quite high in January.

He'd be very good if it were doable, though. Just the right age to come in, still have some resale value in 2 years, by which time hopefully one of the youngsters (Yesil, Morgan, or Hodzic) would be ready to be a big part of our attacking setup.

Valencia still seem to be suffering from financial difficulties, but i agree i still think you will have to pay a decent transfer if you want him. 16/17 million maybe? maybe 18/19 with it being January. But that could potentially be a bargain. Bit of a gamble but we need someone badly, i think he is a realistic option that fits the bill with the type of player he is. He is a very good finisher and has class about him when hes on the ball. His technical ability is obviously what Rodgers is trying to implement as well.

Can't see Soldado moving on in January, they should qualify for the the next stage of the CL, doing decent in the league and surely are not in such a desperate position financially that they need to raise cash mid season? Same goes for Huntelaar I guess.

Would anyone want us to spend money on our 3/4 choice striker and finish say 6th then not afford our top target in the summer or play the hand we are already dealt and just soldier on with the limited numbers up top now and finish 8th or 9th then get our main targets in the summer and have a real go for 4th next year. Your thoughts guys?

Would anyone want us to spend money on our 3/4 choice striker and finish say 6th then not afford our top target in the summer or play the hand we are already dealt and just soldier on with the limited numbers up top now and finish 8th or 9th then get our main targets in the summer and have a real go for 4th next year. Your thoughts guys?

It's an interesting question. I would rather finish 8th now and blood the youngsters more fully if the other choice is to finish 6th now, only it meant singing an OK-ish striker and limiting our choice in the summer.

The only problem with this sort of thing is that we don't know the future! Consider where we were a few games ago. And consider how much of a shambles the defence was. Now we've had three clean sheets in a row and some good wins.

My instinct tells me Rodgers is a patient man. He knows he has the backing of the owners so he can build it up over time (within reason) and not worry too much if there are some hiccups along the way. I think we will be going for young players who are talented and can make some impact now, but their main contribution will be for years to come, as they are coached and improved by Rodgers.

Exactly right.

We'll definitely be bringing in a striker in January, and I'll be very surprised if he isn't under the age of 24 and less than 15 million pounds.

I would love to see a player like Soldado, but I agree that if we have a really top long-term target that we're looking at in the summer that we should keep our powder dry and get him then rather than spending half our summer budget to get someone who will only get us from 8th to 6th.

Reckon you'd easily have to go as far as 50m for Falcao now, and even if we managed that, which we wouldnt, the likes of Chelsea, City and PSG would match that, offer more in wages and CL football.

Our chance in January will probably be players running down their contracts or look at whats in South America. There were talk about Damiao during the summer, havent got a clue if that was for real or not, but he would be a great signing and possibly not entirely unrealistic either.

Get Falcao?

If you believe the stories we had that kid in our sites back when he was still in Columbia but C&A were too busy shaking the till to cough up the sub 20M they wanted. Buying him is possible IMO but paying him is a different matter altogether. Hope we have scouts camped in S. America, Germany, and Belgium for the next few years as thats the only way we are going to get our hands on talent on a Falcao level player for next decade or so (thats if we have the same owners).

EDIT

They'd want Carroll sold first though!

Edited by The Acolyte

Can't see Soldado moving on in January, they should qualify for the the next stage of the CL, doing decent in the league and surely are not in such a desperate position financially that they need to raise cash mid season? Same goes for Huntelaar I guess.

Was it Valencia or another club that had to halt building their new stadium as they'd run out of cash? If it is Valencia then it leaves them wide open to bids for their most sought after players

It's an interesting question. I would rather finish 8th now and blood the youngsters more fully if the other choice is to finish 6th now, only it meant singing an OK-ish striker and limiting our choice in the summer.

The only problem with this sort of thing is that we don't know the future! Consider where we were a few games ago. And consider how much of a shambles the defence was. Now we've had three clean sheets in a row and some good wins.

My instinct tells me Rodgers is a patient man. He knows he has the backing of the owners so he can build it up over time (within reason) and not worry too much if there are some hiccups along the way. I think we will be going for young players who are talented and can make some impact now, but their main contribution will be for years to come, as they are coached and improved by Rodgers.

But we all know the boost a new signing gives to a team, especially if its someone top class that the older players respect and young ones want to be.

Also, leaving the rest of the season in the hands of sucha young team is dangerous. Ok, Bacon Face did it but he wasn't exactly wet behind the ears was he, he'd won domestic and European titles by then.

Was it Valencia or another club that had to halt building their new stadium as they'd run out of cash? If it is Valencia then it leaves them wide open to bids for their most sought after players

Not sure tbh, but not building a stadium and desperately selling off your too assets are 2 different things. Would love Soldado in January just can't see it!

It's an interesting question. I would rather finish 8th now and blood the youngsters more fully if the other choice is to finish 6th now' date=' only it meant singing an OK-ish striker and limiting our choice in the summer.

My instinct tells me Rodgers is a patient man. He knows he has the backing of the owners so he can build it up over time (within reason) and not worry too much if there are some hiccups along the way. I think we will be going for young players who are talented and can make some impact now, but their main contribution will be for years to come, as they are coached and improved by Rodgers.[/quote']

Exactly what I think mate. Just ride this season out knowing that he's got the owners backing him and spend £20-25m (if possible) on a Soldado type signing in the summer, instead if £10-15m now on a Sturridge.

But we all know the boost a new signing gives to a team' date=' especially if its someone top class that the older players respect and young ones want to be.

Also, leaving the rest of the season in the hands of sucha young team is dangerous. Ok, Bacon Face did it but he wasn't exactly wet behind the ears was he, he'd won domestic and European titles by then.[/quote']

It does with the right player but the point I'm making is I don't think 'that' player will be available in January so well just end up wasting half our budget on our 4th choice option who'll barely improve our position come the end of the season.