You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Think you are missing the point. His feet were off the ground, his studs were up. That would have been at least a yellow in a competitive match, whether in the PL or in an international game. It being a friendly was the only reason he got off.

We can all agree that today's game has changed a lot since the 80s (or even 90s) when it comes to tackling though:(

No, you are missing the point and, not for the first time, proving that you know fuck all about football. There was absolutely nothing wrong with that tackle.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No, you are missing the point and, not for the first time, proving that you know fuck all about football. There was absolutely nothing wrong with that tackle.

I'll take that as a compliment coming from you...

There was of course nothing wrong at all, that was why the ref sprinted 30 yards flailing his arms at Gerrard and showing with his foot that Gerrard had shown his studs, saying he had to cut it out. You see, it's not so much what you and I think qualifies as a good tackle that matters, the referees tend to decide whether a player gets booked/sent off or not...

I'll take that as a compliment coming from you...

There was of course nothing wrong at all, that was why the ref sprinted 30 yards flailing his arms at Gerrard and showing with his foot that Gerrard had shown his studs, saying he had to cut it out. You see, it's not so much what you and I think qualifies as a good tackle that matters, the referees tend to decide whether a player gets booked/sent off or not...

Are you suggesting that the refs are always right? There was nothing wrong with that tackle. You don't know what you're talking about.

Think you are missing the point. His feet were off the ground, his studs were up. That would have been at least a yellow in a competitive match, whether in the PL or in an international game. It being a friendly was the only reason he got off.

We can all agree that today's game has changed a lot since the 80s (or even 90s) when it comes to tackling though:(

how the hell can you tackle WITHOUT studs showing?? get lost.. that was an awesome tackle....

Is there anyone that actually believes Gerrard playing like some poor man's Alonso is a good thing.

Shocking first half last night from him. Under this manager, I wouldn't be surprised if the one or two hollywood balls that actually came off, qualifies as having a good game. I know that was his first game back from inury but performances like that in the deep cm role are common from him.

My money's definitely going on England not making it out of that group. Hodgson the old fool doesn't know what the FA has let him in for. It's not going to be pretty once the media turn on him.

Haha I like the way you've had to say this because deep down you know it actually worked quite well.

What are you going to do if England do make it out of the group and Gerrard is playing in a midfield two and go on to do well in the tournament? Keep fucking whinging is what I'm guessing. Gerrards a midfielder and that's where he played the other night. The fact that he hasn't played in a two with a tackler like Parker alongside him for a long time might have made him look out of place it didn't. He was box to box in the half they played. He still got forward and the goal came because of a run of his pulling a defender away.

It's great when Gerrard is in midfield because he still gets forward but instead he has two forwards to play with not just one. He is also running forward rather than standing with his back to goal.

Mongs like you can't stand it because it shows Gerrard is more than what Benitez wants you to believe. Pulling out the 'hollywood balls' shout out makes you sound like a manc. He tried only one or two long balls all game.

Hopefully Hodgson will do what managers of England have failed to do in the past and keep it this way. Play to Gerrard's and Englands strengths. We aren't Spain, we haven't got a load of players who are comfortbale on the ball doing sixty passes. We have got most strong aggressive direct players why not use that? Everyone was laughing at Hodgson the other day when he said you don't always have to play the short pass, but why not? When Carroll is in this sort of form nobody in the world is going to be beating him in the air and we have got some very pacy players. Why not use them?

I think England might surprise a few posters on here this summer if Hodgson sticks to that formation.

Haha I like the way you've had to say this because deep down you know it actually worked quite well.

What are you going to do if England do make it out of the group and Gerrard is playing in a midfield two and go on to do well in the tournament? Keep fucking whinging is what I'm guessing. Gerrards a midfielder and that's where he played the other night. The fact that he hasn't played in a two with a tackler like Parker alongside him for a long time might have made him look out of place it didn't. He was box to box in the half they played. He still got forward and the goal came because of a run of his pulling a defender away.

It's great when Gerrard is in midfield because he still gets forward but instead he has two forwards to play with not just one. He is also running forward rather than standing with his back to goal.

Mongs like you can't stand it because it shows Gerrard is more than what Benitez wants you to believe. Pulling out the 'hollywood balls' shout out makes you sound like a manc. He tried only one or two long balls all game.

Hopefully Hodgson will do what managers of England have failed to do in the past and keep it this way. Play to Gerrard's and Englands strengths. We aren't Spain, we haven't got a load of players who are comfortbale on the ball doing sixty passes. We have got most strong aggressive direct players why not use that? Everyone was laughing at Hodgson the other day when he said you don't always have to play the short pass, but why not? When Carroll is in this sort of form nobody in the world is going to be beating him in the air and we have got some very pacy players. Why not use them?

I think England might surprise a few posters on here this summer if Hodgson sticks to that formation.

This post may have carried a bit more weight, if it wasn't for the fact that Gerrard didn't play very well.

Never mind.

If the Norwegian hasn't got the brains to jump fully up when Gerrard is flying in like that or move faster, you can't say it's all his fault. I think it looks like Stevie went a bit over the top and I thought it was a daft challenge at first, but he had to move quickly to get the ball, and as his motion has carried through he's clipped the other players leg.

Would anyone here be trying to go for that ball if you saw Stevie running at you like that? It wasn't that bad.