You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Glasgow Rangers gone into administration

JohnnyH

A Celtic League really should be looked at. Scottish league, League of Ireland and northern Irish League combined. Might be on option.

Always thought that would be a good idea just like rugby. You would have big cities like Glasgow, Dublin, Belfast, Edinburgh, and Cardiff along with descent size cities like Derry, Cork, Aberdeen, etc. Maybe they be like MLS for a few years where no relegation/promotion to allow the teams to grow before introducing it down the road.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Always thought that would be a good idea just like rugby. You would have big cities like Glasgow, Dublin, Belfast, Edinburgh, and Cardiff along with descent size cities like Derry, Cork, Aberdeen, etc. Maybe they be like MLS for a few years where no relegation/promotion to allow the teams to grow before introducing it down the road.

The only issue being how clubs of that modest size would be expected to afford the travel expenses of such a league.

If Rangers go under the only way the SPL can continue is by introducing a handicap points system for Celtic and others in a staggered scale if that makes sense. Without it, the league is completely pointless and Celtic will be affected by the loss of revenue due to no major rival in the league.

although I don't want to see any club go bust (well okay theres one I'd love to) the main reason I don't want Rangers to go is because it would end up with Celtic in the Premier League eventually

although I don't want to see any club go bust (well okay theres one I'd love to) the main reason I don't want Rangers to go is because it would end up with Celtic in the Premier League eventually

I don't see how?, the Premier League doesn't need them at all, and Celtic only want in for the money, it's not for the "competition" as their fans say, pure monetary reasons, why would any English club want them anyway?, and if they wanted in....then why not Aberdeen?, Hibs?, Hearts?, pretty soon you'd have nearly all of the Scottish Premier League teams in the English league structure, as even the Championship gets more TV/Prize money than Scotland.

And then of course there's no European football, as I'm pretty sure Cardiff or Swansea can't take a European place if they qualify.

If Rangers go under the only way the SPL can continue is by introducing a handicap points system for Celtic and others in a staggered scale if that makes sense. Without it, the league is completely pointless and Celtic will be affected by the loss of revenue due to no major rival in the league.

I would wager heavily that we wont see a handicap system !

I know a little of the background to the problem with Rangers and it stems from 50 million in unpaid taxes ( disputed albeit) left over from Murrays tenure. There is going to be a complicated chain of legal battles coming up as the IR tries to recover the money. There is a good chance Rangers FC will go into liquidation and effectively cease to exist. There is no one likely to bale them out of the mess they are in. I daresay a new club will emerge and get some backers but they wont be suddenly fast tracked into the SPL.

I don't see how?, the Premier League doesn't need them at all, and Celtic only want in for the money, it's not for the "competition" as their fans say, pure monetary reasons, why would any English club want them anyway?, and if they wanted in....then why not Aberdeen?, Hibs?, Hearts?, pretty soon you'd have nearly all of the Scottish Premier League teams in the English league structure, as even the Championship gets more TV/Prize money than Scotland.

And then of course there's no European football, as I'm pretty sure Cardiff or Swansea can't take a European place if they qualify.

it doesn't matter if no fans,clubs etc want them, if the FA think that they can make money out of it they'll let them in, they wouldn't let Hearts etc in because they wouldn't gain anything from it but if Rangers were to go then Celtic wouldn't have anything to play for and would push through for a move

But you have 92 clubs in the Football League who have earned their right to be part of it, how dare a club from another Football Association thinl they have the right to be parachuted into the top tier.

If they want in to English football, let them come up through the divisions like everyone else, Wolves came from (the old) Division 4 to the Premier League, Wimbledon came from the lower reaches of non-League football to the Premier League, and Crawley have come from non-League football.

There will be outcry if they are parachuted in, as far as I'm concerned Celtic and Rangers can stay were they are, as the Premiership would be better off without their bigotry.

But you have 92 clubs in the Football League who have earned their right to be part of it, how dare a club from another Football Association thinl they have the right to be parachuted into the top tier.

If they want in to English football, let them come up through the divisions like everyone else, Wolves came from (the old) Division 4 to the Premier League, Wimbledon came from the lower reaches of non-League football to the Premier League, and Crawley have come from non-League football.

There will be outcry if they are parachuted in, as far as I'm concerned Celtic and Rangers can stay were they are, as the Premiership would be better off without their bigotry.

I didn't say they should, they should stay where they are for me, but what the FA should do and what they will do for money are too entirely different things

They can.

My mate in the bank says Rangers have won the right to appoint their own administrator. I asked will the worst that can happen be that they are deducted 10 points, and he answered with the below.

Initially Yes - 10 pts deducted, however...

Administrator will offer HMRC say 20p in £ for outstanding debt - HMRC will say no - we want full amount (can't set a precedent for other clubs) - Administrator has 2 choices 1) keep club in administration for ever or until debt is paid or 2) insolvency - Whyte walks away owning Ibrox & Murray Park (as do the Ticketus mob) and HMRC get nothing. Whyte then sells on club with no debt to willing investors.

Sso team will have to be re-named, and re-apply for access into the SPL - Celtic have already hinted that they would not vote for this. So Gers would have to start in lowest league

Guest ShoePiss
It's simple to put yourself in the shoes of Celtic fans. Imagine Everton go into administration and out of existence. Would you shed a tear, or laugh your arse off? These days I'd laugh my arse off.

I very much want Everton around but it's a completely different scenario anyway.

I didn't say they should, they should stay where they are for me, but what the FA should do and what they will do for money are too entirely different things

but scotland in 2014 will have a referendum on independence so if they get it how could they play in the english league.and as for the fa doing it for money sorry but celtic and rangers wouldn't bring any extra money into the prem,the prem is probably making as much money as it can now from sponsors and tv.rangers and celtic bring to much baggage with them anyway so i wouldn't want them here with there bigotry.

Guest San Don

Not a fan of scottish football but I know some decent lads who actually hold high positions in the Rangers Trust.

I feel for them. This is their football club after all. Doesnt matter whether they are big or they are small. A football club is someone's life.