You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

She says in her letter that jews and travellers weren't required to sit at the back of the bus, but neither were black people in Britain to my knowledge.

Black people in the states are mostly descended from slaves, black people in the UK are descended from people who came to work of their own choice.

That's not me saying they haven't experienced the same level of racism, of course they have, but Abbott seems to be painting them as one worldwide, homogeneous group there.

Mad how quick Labour, Baddiel  and the press are quick to call out racism against the Jews, yet say fuck all about the Forde report.

It’s like there is a hierarchy of racism. 

Abbott’s right in some of what she says, her problem is how she says it.

Not done herself or the debate any favours there. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Skidfingers McGonical said:

Mad how quick Labour, Baddiel  and the press are quick to call out racism against the Jews, yet say fuck all about the Forde report.

It’s like there is a hierarchy of racism. 

Abbott’s right in some of what she says, her problem is how she says it.

Not done herself or the debate any favours there. 

They may have changed it because of it being flagged in the press, but when you phoned the Labour helpline a year or so back it said 'Press one for anti-semitism issues ', Press two for any other queries '

19 hours ago, Section_31 said:

She says in her letter that jews and travellers weren't required to sit at the back of the bus, but neither were black people in Britain to my knowledge.

Black people in the states are mostly descended from slaves, black people in the UK are descended from people who came to work of their own choice.

That's not me saying they haven't experienced the same level of racism, of course they have, but Abbott seems to be painting them as one worldwide, homogeneous group there.

But the Windrush generation are directly descended from slaves too. I'm not sure there's a lot of free will involved their either.

Thing is, you can often get away with a joke and claim your attempt at humour was ill-judged. What did for Abbott was the wordy nature of a reply that intimated an entire world view laid out in a calm and collected manner. Harder to argue misrepresentation / miscalculation when it's not simply a throwaway line.

Just astounds me that she didn't read it back to herself and say "Is now a good time to mention the Jews again?"

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Thing is, you can often get away with a joke and claim your attempt at humour was ill-judged. What did for Abbott was the wordy nature of a reply that intimated an entire world view laid out in a calm and collected manner. Harder to argue misrepresentation / miscalculation when it's not simply a throwaway line.

Just astounds me that she didn't read it back to herself and say "Is now a good time to mention the Jews again?"

She's thick as fuck. 

1 hour ago, Arniepie said:

absolutely fucking stupid think to say,but she also mentioned irish people and travellers,which seems to be getting overlooked.

And redheads. Mick Hucknalls been afraid to leave the house. 

• Haha 1

Abbott has been a tit. But, applying precedent, her suspension simply has to be temporary and she should eventually have the whip restored. There’s the cases above and also the cases of Rupa Huq and Neil Coyle, who both had the whip restored after a period of suspension for racist incidents. If a different approach is followed in Abbot’s case then this lends weight to the claims of their being a hierarchy of racism in Keir Starmer’s Labour Party. 

25 minutes ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

As a politician why would you even use the J word at all in this current climate? 

Absolutely career suicide. 

Which in itself is a statement that could get you pulled up. Fucking sick of it, all because a man who stood up for innocent people had a chance of becoming PM.