You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Evra accuses Suarez of racism

NickConklin

Given that on other teams' forums he's referred to almost universally as a 'racist cannibal', and that opposition fans still sing 'you know what you are' at him, it's clear the hate's never gone away accept in mainstream media, and none of them seem to give a fuck now they're free of Ferguson's insidious incluence.

As such, if he's asked about it he should state his mind - as any of us would if we felt we were innocent.

I haven't heard fans singing about him. There have been the odd boos (at Fulham this week) and I haven't been on that many oppo fans forums to see what they say. Since Ferguson left them, the media have turned their attention to a new love interest in Mourinho anyway  They are typing themselves raw giving him column inches, so they don't have time to revisit Evra/Suarez. They'll save that for the World Cup, right before England face Uruguay.

Weird how the press don’t really seem to be slaughtering him for these comments. They've reported what he said, but also speak about how great he’s playing and his worries about world cup injury, and how he's cleaned up his act. It's not headline news.

The worm seems to have turned on this. 

He'll probably go and shit in a policeman’s helmet while celebrating a handball goal now.

Lets hope that handball goal is against Chelsea and puts us top.

I think Suarez did say those things to him, the conspiratorial aspect of the fan base that wants to act like Suarez wouldn't say those things are kidding themselves. Suarez is a provocator, he does what he needs to do to win. If he can psyche out an opponent, so they lose it and get sent off, he'll do it and he won't even think twice about it.

He faked an injury to get Rodwell sent off in the derby, he definitely said something to Evra it's clear as day in the footage of the incident. Now whether you can't accept that, because you can't support a player in a red shirt that uttered a racist comment to a black player, that's your bag...but i personally think it was provocation, certainly not his beliefs so i don't really have a problem with it in that sense. You could say I'm a racist for believing Suarez did it and still backing him, but I'm nothing of the sort, just know that it was done to get a competitive edge in a game against our fiercest rivals.

• Downvote 7

I think Suarez did say those things to him, the conspiratorial aspect of the fan base that wants to act like Suarez wouldn't say those things are kidding themselves. Suarez is a provocator, he does what he needs to do to win. If he can psyche out an opponent, so they lose it and get sent off, he'll do it and he won't even think twice about it.

He faked an injury to get Rodwell sent off in the derby, he definitely said something to Evra it's clear as day in the footage of the incident. Now whether you can't accept that, because you can't support a player in a red shirt that uttered a racist comment to a black player, that's your bag...but i personally think it was provocation, certainly not his beliefs so i don't really have a problem with it in that sense. You could say I'm a racist for believing Suarez did it and still backing him, but I'm nothing of the sort, just know that it was done to get a competitive edge in a game against our fiercest rivals.

Is that the injury where is ankle went under rodwells knee?

Whether he did or didn't say anything is irrelevant. The FA chose to believe one of the other with no evidence. I couldn't give a monkeys cunt what he says to fellow professionals, it's become gamesmanship and everyone does it.

How about that Evra faked indignation to get an advantage? The blokes a proven liar. And a cu t.

I haven't heard fans singing about him. There have been the odd boos (at Fulham this week) and I haven't been on that many oppo fans forums to see what they say. Since Ferguson left them, the media have turned their attention to a new love interest in Mourinho anyway  They are typing themselves raw giving him column inches, so they don't have time to revisit Evra/Suarez. They'll save that for the World Cup, right before England face Uruguay.

Really?

I don't go to the away games, but I hear it at just about every game at Anfield.

Wrong on so many counts.

Firstly "those things" - what things, exactly?  The stuff that Evra claimed he said, which Suarez has always denied, no witnesses heard and no cameras or microphones picked up?  Or the word that Suarez admits he did say and the FA's language experts agreed was neither racist nor insulting?  I don't think you can treat the two things the same.

Obviously, Suarez - like many other players - indulges in a bit of gamesmanship to psych out opponents.  Is there any reason to believe he would resort to racist abuse as part of that?  Only if you believe the word of the one person who has ever accused him of it - a known liar.

As for "the conspiratorial aspect" that's just bullshit. Sometimes, if you smell a rat it's because there's a dirty big fuck off rat there!

Also, if you think it's OK to resort to racism just to try to score petty points, then, yes, you are a racist.  If there was any reason to believe that Suarez was a racist, I'd want him far away from my club.  Happily, there is no such reason.

As for the Blueshite bullshit about Rodwell, the foul sent Suarez flying and the referee, who was right on the spot had his card out almost before Suarez hit the deck.  Rodwell got Rodwell sent off.

• Upvote 2

Why is he bringing it up now when were stilling 11 points clear of United and getting nothing but positive press? unnecessary, Suarez should of fucking better known better. (i mean that's his fucking wife man)

Some people are thinking I'm siding with Evra, fuck that cunt....after his antics at the end of the game at Old Trafford, the fake arm, the manufactured handshake, the guy is an absolute cretin. I'm just saying i see both sides to the story that's all.

Why is he bringing it up now...

It was a short comment as part of an interview that discussed a lot of other things. It's not as though he rang up a journalist to give a story exclusively about how the racism accusations and subsequent shitstorm still rankles him. Could he have stayed quiet about it or simply said it's all in the past? Yes he could have. But then I dare say anyone who feels they've been wronged unjustly is not going to simply keep schtum and let it blow over - it WILL be brought up in some way from time to time. The Fugitive would have been a pretty shit story if Kimble had meekly accepted his punishment and gone back to prison.

I've no doubt that both the Liverpool side (and even the Man Utd side to a lesser extent) were caught cold by the allegations, largely because I've long suspected that Evra spoke to the Canal+ journalist first, made all his wild allegations without clearly thinking through any repercussions, and only later did he speak to his manager and make the claims official via the referee when they realised he had to back up his earlier - highly extravagant - claims. They were able to get their story in order before anyone from the Liverpool side was even aware there was a problem.

If when it happened it was really as bad as Evra claimed it was, then why did Marriner not deem it serious enough to deal with the matter there and then on the pitch? The seriousness with which the issue was treated and dealt with from the moment it came to light would suggest that Marriner could not brush it off as something trivial at the time it happened right? Also, why would Man Utd have let Evra run his mouth off to the media AFTER he'd made an official complaint? They'd have told him to keep his mouth shut so that there is only one version of events - the one in the referee's report.

No. I think Evra fucked up and then had the Man Utd manager and officials scrambling to cover his and their arses. They then got additional help from the FA to get his story together and still managed to fuck it up, only for all of that to be conveniently ignored thanks in part to the FA's own agenda against FIFA with regards to the issue of tackling racism, and thanks in part to the muddled manner in which Liverpool went about handling their side of the equation.

This is 100% what happened. I always said it, it was so clear to see it all basically snowballed from Evra making ludicrous claims to that French TV Channel. 

In response to Trumo's point "why did Marriner not deem it serious enough, to deal with the matter there and then on the pitch?"

I think it was a case where he didn't see the incident as it happened, nor did he hear what was being said, so he's not going to send someone off based on hear say alone. It's not a case were the other officials or linesman can help him out either, because they where even further away from the players when the incident occurred.

Also he could of thought it's one of those things that are dealt with retrospectively when various cameras can zoom in on the incident, akin to the John Terry case. I don't think he was sent off in that game against Anton Ferdinand, it's something that's better analysed after the fact. Unless your 100% sure, saw the incident transpire with your own eyes and heard exactly what was said, why would you set yourself up for an unprecedented degree of scrutiny, if you were wrong?

In response to Trumo's point "why did Marriner not deem it serious enough, to deal with the matter there and then on the pitch?"

I think it was a case where he didn't see the incident as it happened, nor did he hear what was being said, so he's not going to send someone off based on hear say alone. It's not a case were the other officials or linesman can help him out either, because they where even further away from the players when the incident occurred.

Also he could of thought it's one of those things that are dealt with retrospectively when various cameras can zoom in on the incident, akin to the John Terry case. I don't think he was sent off in that game against Anton Ferdinand, it's something that's better analysed after the fact. Unless your 100% sure, saw the incident transpire with your own eyes and heard exactly what was said, why would you set yourself up for an unprecedented degree of scrutiny, if you were wrong?

My memory of the details of the FA report is understandably vague given it's been 2 years now, but one of the things about Marriner's role in the whole issue is what he said in the referee's room after the match when Evra and Ferguson came in to make their complaint. It was something like "Oh so that's what you were on about". To me that means that either Evra wasn't very clear in explaining to Marriner what the problem was, or that he had been such a prissy little twat all afternoon that Marriner didn't consider his complaints to be significant enough in light of all his other whining.

In the time between the end of the match and the point at which Evra went to the referee's room, Evra and Man Utd had time to embellish a relatively innocuous incident into something more serious, and this has its basis in the dressing down Evra and Man Utd received following the allegations of racial abuse at Stamford Bridge (after which Evra was deemed to be unreliable and prone to exaggeration).

While I wouldn't go as far as to suggest that the exchange between the two players was mere 'banter', I get the impression that Evra is not the sort to take too kindly to any sort of banter or mickey-taking where he is the target.

Evra said to Marriner "he called me black" (after the exchange "Don't touch me, South American" - "Porque, negro?").  Marriner basically shrugged it off, but later claimed he hadn't heard Evra say it.

I think that points to a massive missed opportunity on the part of the FA.  They should have been looking at the actions of their own officials and the advice those officials receive.  They should also have considered what advice could be given to players of various nationalities about what language would or wouldn't be considered acceptable.  (For example, addressing someone in Spanish as "negro" is not generally insulting or racist - but there's no harm in pointing out to Spanish-speaking players that it can be easily misconstrued by non-Spanish speakers, so it's best not to say it.)  Unfortunately, the FA were so keen to try to look tough on racism, that they joined the lynch-mob, instead of trying to deal with the incident fairly.

• 2 weeks later...

Some utter gobshite on SkySports slagging Suarez off about the Evra debacle after the Anelka debacle.

Put this dickhead in the bin.

Showed clips of Suarez up against Evra, then showed clips of John Terry actually racially abusing Ferdinand, but obviously Suarez is the bad guy.

Fuck off.

Sky Sports and the British media have long been prone to describing events very differently to what you can see with your own eyes. As bad as they've been in selling it that way, what's worse is that the majority of the public are all too ready and willing to swallow it unquestioningly. 

As for the FA upholding the original charges yet again? Didn't see that one coming at all!