You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Evra accuses Suarez of racism

NickConklin

Seriously, you think we should accept an 8 game ban for abusive language? So how come plenty of players tell refs to 'fuck off' yet dont even get booked!?

If you cant see the correlation there then you're a WUM.

No i agree the ban does not fit the crime, but i just dont accept he didn't realise how his remarks wouldn't be seen as being offensive in this country.

If the ban runs it time, who would of guest the ban would run to include the United game! the United game being the last game of him ban? coincidence? Plus there as never been given higher ban ever... for an on-field incident!

Yet, people still think there isn't an smear campaign against Suarez!

Theres the two weeks for us to put the appeal in and then x amount of weeks for the hearing to take place.

Then who knows how long for the case to be heard.

Guest San Don
If the ban runs it time, who would of guest the ban would run to include the United game! the United game being the last game of him ban? coincidence? Plus there as never been given higher ban ever... for an on-field incident!

Yet, people still think there isn't an smear campaign against Suarez!

People are getting ahead of themselves regarding what games may be covered by any ban.

No ban will come into effect until the 14 day appeal period has expired and LFC decide not to challenge it.

The 14 day period doesnt start until the papers are formally lodged with LFC which I beleive have to be delivered to LFC's registered office. The normal procedure is these are sent via the post but given the Christmas period, they may be courried instead.

So, at the earliest, LFC will not receive the official notification until sometime today when the period would start.

I expect LFC will deffo appeal and could leave it to the last possible minute to do so.

If so, no ban will be effective until the appeal process is exhausted. I expect LFC will take this to CAS so it could be some time before any ban, if upheld, becomes effective.

On him saying, or allegedly saying, 'Why negro?' or 'Why Negrito?, why didn't the FA drag him and Evra in at the time, explain that you can't say stuff like that over here, ban him for 2 games (1 suspended), and say a £10k fine, and the same for Evra for the 'get off me you South American' dig?

That way, the FA have taken a stand, admitted that Luis isn't a racist, neither is Evra, they've both been naive and said stupid things in the heat of the game, and walk away knowing something has been done.

The ban would've pissed both clubs off, but it would have died down in no time - by doing what they've done, they've parked themselves firmly in Fergie's rancid rectum, and created a shitstorm for themselves when the club (hopefully), and the Liverpool fans fight back!!

Stupid fuckers, and as for the press - boycott time!!

Guest San Don
No i agree the ban does not fit the crime, but i just dont accept he didn't realise how his remarks wouldn't be seen as being offensive in this country.

So if you went to say bolivia, argentina, uraguay you'd know what was or wasnt offensive in those countries!?

Give me a break!

All im saying is that if he used the term he admits to using who in their right mind thought he would get away with it in this league, regardless of what context he claims to have made it in. He is an international star and should have known the consequences of his remark.

The context is important though. The FA argued as much when trying to get Rooney off ie his head was on things going on off the pitch, Capello taking the blame etc.

I wonder what context Alan Shearer kicked Neil Lennon in the face in a few years ago when the FA decided not to charge him cos he was England Captain ( I wonder what will happen to the current one ) The FA seem to make the rules as they go along depnding on who is being charged and who is the " victim"

I'm still stunned. I have to write this to get it off my chest, but don't expect you all to read it because it will be quite long.

Why do I feel an injustice has occurred when most of the media, journalists and population are referring to this decision as justice?

Why do I sense this has been a foregone conclusion right from the start and a medieval style witch hunt by an ignorant populace, media and football association baying for a foreigners blood to make themselves look good in the fight against racism?

I am British but I understand South American culture. I have traveled there many times, I have lived there for long periods, and I have a beautiful South American wife. I totally get the various nuances of their language, their very expressive use of words and adjectives in inoffensive ways, and their generally very friendly and easy going nature. The fa panel obviously didn't get this or even try to understand this, because it would not have suited their overall purpose of making a stand against "racism".

I find the decision taken by the fa to be quite outrageous in its accusatory nature and lack of explanation as to how they arrived at their tainted conclusions. I do feel that Luis' honesty in admitting to using language they have subsequently deemed unacceptable, has contributed to his ban. Yes his HONESTY! An honest racist! What a f'ing joke, if it wasn't so serious! It's quite unbelievable, but yet is not a surprise.

I find the decision itself to be both ignorant of Luis Suarez' background and racist (yes RACIST) against him and his background. To state he is not a racist and then label him one when explaining the rules he broke is just astoundingly crass. They knew he would be painted as a racist once they banned him under those rules. Just look at our wonderful media (almost all of it - and guys do not buy any paper ever again that has branded Luis a racist - seriously - even if it is a paper you enjoy reading - they don't give a shit about you so don't give them your hard earned cash). Just look at the bandwagon jumpers, it's everywhere: Luis Suarez is a racist! And what's worse? The club are now under attack for having the audacity to support a racist and challenge the decision. I mean you couldn't make this shit up! What if he is NOT a racist? Surely the decision must be challenged? I mean I know if would be a little inconvenient to the fa, the media and the population at large, but I totally believe he is innocent, so he has my backing all the way.

It was clear to me that the way the fa set out the charges he was going to be found guilty of using abusive language. Yet, as others have stated, why him? What about all the other instances of abusive language used in every game across the country each weekend? This is victimisation and bullying!

Then the second part of the charge, because of the reference to colour. The fact he has been found guilty of this is on a technicality basically because he used the word. Yet it also demonstrates that the fa have a shown a complete lack of understanding (probably intentional) of other cultures, the latin culture in this instance. In Latin America they freely describe a person's colour (and size, abilities, redeeming or not so redeeming features) in very expressive terms and there is very rarely any racist inference. Why didn't the fa include someone on the panel with knowledge of South American culture and football? Maybe that would have been seen as biased! Yet they included a QC who is in their employ, and another gentleman with clear links to the manager of the football club whose player has made the accusation against Luis! Is this not bias?!

There is an increasing PERSECUTION of Luis Suarez in this country. It started with those continued references to his "misdemeanours" at the WC2010 re the handball, yet if an Englishman had done this nothing would have been made of it. Then he is labelled a cheat and a diver, yet I personally see very little EVIDENCE of this on the football pitch. He is clearly a clever and cheeky player, a joy to watch, but does not go down easily, not compared to many of his contemporaries and many English players who never get pulled up for it. It's a sick joke.

Alex Ferguson has successfully played the media and the public at large at labelling Luis as a cheat and this has clearly gone against him in subsequent fixtures as you cannot deny he is getting nothing whatsoever from referees now, and certainly no protection from being kicked to shreds.

Talking about Ferguson, I do believe he has also had a part to play in encouraging this fa charge to happen, but you will never prove it. I believe he encouraged his player to report it to the ref (hence the long after match delay before it was done). Don't forget Evra never reported it during or immediately after the match so who suggested it to him? Ferguson is a very clever and manipulative manager who admits to having an intense dislike of us as a club and would do ANYTHING, in my opinion, to prevent us from challenging again. What better way than to help orchestrate a campaign against our best player, probably the one player who can help us reach those heights once again. Ferguson understands just how important a player he is (he's our Cantona). He is also clever enough to hide his influences, but believe me, he is there, liked a crazed puppeteer, moving his people into position. It's not a conspiracy theory, some may discredit my opinion here, but the more I analyse how things have played out, the more convinced I am, and I'm not in the asylum yet!

Finally, and most importantly, I am totally behind Luis Suarez, the tainted footballing genius that he is, but feel that this country will never give him a FAIR hearing or even try to understand reason. He is a very hard worker and is obviously committed to the club, but if he wants some peace and just wants to enjoy his football, like most South Amercians just want to do culturally, he will sadly have to move abroad, much to our loss and football here's loss. Indeed, if I was an adviser of his, I would probably suggest he do just that, as the neanderthals that inhabit this country, the country I once loved and was proud to be a part of, will never let him be.

YNWA Luis!

Edited by RedPaul
spelling mistake

OK, let's take this post/opinion of yours at pure face value...

why negro? = 8 match ban

Even if it were as simple as this... which of course it isn't... maybe, just maybe, our esteemed FA might also be accused of getting "carried away", not just Liverpool supporters.

Look i agree the ban is too long, that Suarez is not a racist, that Evra is a cunt. Basically I am a little annoyed and disappointed that Suarez got himself in this position to begin with, and this make him a SAINT stuff dosn't wash with me.

Apparently he called him; Sudaca

Noun

sudaca m and f (plural sudacas)

(offensive, derogatory, vulgar, slang) Latin American

[edit]Usage notes

A Spanish colloquial term used most typically in Spain to denote people from Latin America in a derogatory or pejorative way. The term is associated with immigrants from Latin America with Amerindian physical features and who speak with accented Spanish of varied origins and is believed to have originated during the popular Movida madrileña (Madrid Movement) in the 1980s as a result of Latin American Immigration. Due to the rapid influx of Latin American immigrants to Spain from the early 1990s to present, the word has evolved into a common, yet highly offensive ethnic slur.

We are still waiting for the facts as this committee called them, why? Nevertheless if that is true there can be nothing to distinguish between what Suarez did wrong and Evra.

So if you went to say bolivia, argentina, uraguay you'd know what was or wasnt offensive in those countries!?

Give me a break!

If I was an international soccer player, playing for one of the biggest clubs in that country, who were paying me 100,000's pounds a week, whos fans adored me, YES, YES I would.

I think the bit in the Echo article that highlights the 'editing' of Evra's statement is also disgraceful, and certainly suggests a stich up.

He said he called him a Nigger, 10 times, so therefore if that is not the case then surely his evidence should be discounted? This looks like they have heared what Luis said, and asked Evra to change his statement to provide consistency with their judgement!

We should be making more of this, if that is the case then that is absolutely scandalous.

but i just dont accept he didn't realise how his remarks wouldn't be seen as being offensive in this country.

I said this a few days back and I agree- he is an expert at the wind up on the field and many people on here probably realize that he said it with intent to unnerve Evra, in the same way that players on all teams do every game. Unfortunately what should have "stayed in Vegas" has now become the tipping point for issues (the most important of which - is there corruption at the highest levels of the English game) have nothing to do with the incident and will reach far beyond what, imo, either of the players could have ever foresaw.

If I was an international soccer player, playing for one of the biggest clubs in that country, who were paying me 100,000's pounds a week, whos fans adored me, YES, YES I would.

Yes you would what?

Sorry but do you seem to think that your intelligence and ability to understand subtle cultural differences, is dependent upon how much you earn?n His job is irrelevant, it is the ability to learn so much within 9 months that is questionable.

This time last year he couldn't fucking speak a word of English! Now he is being villified for not understanding the cultural norms less then 9 months later.

You are not though are you? You are not Luis Suarez, you have not had his upbringing, his career, his friends, his education, his experiences, so you are not in any way in a position to judge him.

Things happen in the heat of the moment, we all say things we shouldn't. It is very hard to stop yourself using expressions and words you have been using frequently your whole life in the heat of the moment, wouldn't you agree? It doesn't mean they have any malintention.

Yes you would what?

Sorry but do you seem to think that your intelligence and ability to understand subtle cultural differences, is dependent upon how much you earn?n His job is irrelevant, it is the ability to learn so much within 9 months that is questionable.

This time last year he couldn't fucking speak a word of English! Now he is being villified for not understanding the cultural norms less then 9 months later.

Check back!

I sorry, me speak no England. 8 match ban lifted. Quality.

How it got reported in a Uruguayan national newspaper.

The FA ruled against Suarez, eight-game suspension

The FA ruled against Luis Suarez in the accusation of racism that made him the Frenchman Patrice Evra. You can not play eight games and pay a fine of 40,000 pounds ($ 60,000). You can still appeal.

"Today is a very difficult and painful for both me and my family. Thanks to everyone for their support, I will keep working!" Published Suarez in his Twitter account.

The official website of Football Association (FA) said on its website the decision of the Independent Regulatory Commission that was responsible for the facts enclarescer. In the English derby between Manchester United and Liverpool, there was an altercation between Suarez and Evra.

After the match, the French accused the Uruguayan telling racist insults. Immediately, the coach and his companions went to back to Suarez, who denied having insulted Evra.

The picture seemed to improve for Suarez on Friday, when published by British newspaper The Guardian, Judge of the match, Andre Marriner, had declared at the hearing that Suarez responded to a provocation of Evra, who called for "South America".

The British newspaper said the judge, reviewing what happened, said Suarez Evra told: "You do not touch me, South America."

To this, the Uruguayan replied: "Why black?".

Even the referee said Evra charged him admonish during the party for racists reasons. "You admonish me this because I'm black," would have said the Frenchman.

According to the FA, the court announced: "The sr. Suárez used abusive language towards Mr Evra during the game (...) the insults used by Mr.. Suárez made sr reference to color. Evra (...) the sentence is suspended pending the outcome of an action brought by Mr.. Suárez against this decision. "

After hearing the verdict, the club retained the support of Suarez in a statement posted on its website: "Liverpool Football Club is shocked and disappointed with the decision of the Commission of the Football Association to find Luis Suarez guilty of the charges against him. "

Suarez also faces other possible disciplinary sanctions in England, because he made an obscene gesture to the fans of Fulham as he left court.

Read part of the statement of Liverpool

"Liverpool Football Club is shocked and disappointed with the decision of the Commission of the Football Association to find Luis Suarez guilty of the charges against him."

"We will study the detailed reasons for the Commission once they become available, but we reserve the right to appeal or any other course of action it deems appropriate with respect to this situation."

"It seems extraordinary that Luis could be convicted on the word of Patrice Evra only when no one else in the field - including his own teammates Evra of Manchester United and all the match officials - heard the alleged conversation between the two players. "

"The Club has very seriously the fight against all forms of discrimination and has a long and successful history of work related to the activity of anti-racism and social inclusion. We remain committed to this ideal of equality for all regardless the origin of a person. "

"It is our firm belief of Justice, having reviewed the facts of the case, Luis Suarez did not commit a racist act."

"We think the FA was determined to press charges against Luis Suarez, even before the interview in early November. Nothing that we heard in the course of the hearing has changed our view that Luis Suarez is innocent of the charges against him and we will provide full support to Luis now has to clear his name. "

La FA falló en contra de Suárez; ocho partidos de suspensión - Diario EL PAIS - Montevideo - Uruguay

You are not though are you? You are not Luis Suarez, you have not had his upbringing, his career, his friends, his education, his experiences, so you are not in any way in a position to judge him.

Things happen in the heat of the moment, we all say things we shouldn't. It is very hard to stop yourself using expressions and words you have been using frequently your whole life in the heat of the moment, wouldn't you agree? It doesn't mean they have any malintention.

I think you find that made that point a few posts back. And i agree with what you are saying, it just dont take away the fact that he should have known the consequences of his remark.

I think you find that made that point a few posts back. And i agree with what you are saying, it just dont take away the fact that he should have known the consequences of his remark.

We'll agree to disagree, because I don't believe he can be expected to know everything that can and can't be said in this sensitive country, within 9 months of living here. Like I said before, I've lived in South America on and off for six years and I still don't know everything that offends and does not. It's amazing what some people find offensive in other countries, you really wouldn't believe it.

We'll agree to disagree, because I don't believe he can be expected to know everything that can and can't be said in this sensitive country, within 9 months of living here. Like I said before, I've lived in South America on and off for six years and I still don't know everything that offends and does not. It's amazing what some people find offensive in other countries, you really wouldn't believe it.

I agree with you in kind, but regards racism in football he should know, you wont convince me otherwise.

I think as soon as the FA were so outspoken in their criticism of FIFA an Sepp Blatter their was only ever one way this was going to go. They were going to make an example of Suarez with or without strong evidence.

If there is as little evidence as is being speculated it will be interesting when Liverpool take it further. Although im sure the FA wont back down I would be surprised if 1 word against another with no corroborating evidence stands up in any court.