You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 768
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get your violins out:

BBC Sport - Everton vs Liverpool: David Moyes highlights growing cash gap

Everton manager David Moyes has spoken about the financial gap which has widened over the last year between his club and city rivals Liverpool.

Moyes said: "Liverpool have had a level of finance which has allowed them to buy a different level of player."

But, on the eve of the 216th Merseyside derby, he insisted he was not jealous of his opposite number, Kenny Dalglish.

Moyes said: "I don't think I look with envy. I'm just stating facts. It has never been any different here."

Liverpool, backed by wealthy owner John W Henry, spent millions in the last two transfer windows on Andy Carroll, Luis Suarez, Jordan Henderson, Charlie Adam, Jose Enrique, Stewart Downing and Sebastian Coates.

Everton, in contrast, made four loan signings and brought in Apostolos Vellios for a nominal fee.

Moyes said: "Over the years we've tried to be competitive, tried to get as close to them as we can. At this present time we've not got the funds Liverpool have had given to them in the last year"

"We know it's a big rivalry in the city, and I'm aware of that, but most people are aware there have been differences over the years between Liverpool and Everton, and all of it has been financial.

"This time last year Liverpool weren't in great condition. They were maybe in a similar situation to us here where they were having to give money back to the banks.

"The supporters were quite restless at the time, but they've had new owners, a change of manager and brought in new players, so they have turned it around quite a lot.

"That's there for everybody to see and everybody knows that. At this present time we've not got the funds Liverpool have had given to them in the last year. That's given them a big help."

Moyes is resigned to the fact that things are not likely to change in the near future and added: "We have always worked within our means, and in many seasons the same things have happened and we've still always found a way of getting there, so hopefully we can do that again this year.

"It has been hard to get above Liverpool in the league table, and we have done everything we can to win as many derby games as we can, which has been tough.

"We've tried to be competitive against them, tried to hang onto their shirt tails, and at times try to get above them, but as I say, it's not been easy."

Moyes believes that with more cash they would pose more of a threat.

He said: "We got really close last year, and things have changed very quickly for Liverpool in that time.

"Last season we had a really good side at times. I think we showed that, although not come the end of the season because our league position wasn't good enough.

"But with a little bit of help then we could have been up there competing."

Xaz9G.jpg

I love watching that Gary Mac goal. Really have scored some beauties against them.

What I really want is another Rush who is simple destined to always score against the fuckers. It's about time they had another nemesis as it always seems to be them doing that to us with twats like Ferguson and then Cahill.

The man to do it has to be Suarez!

Had no idea there was so many unemployed Evertonians, at least thats what a lad I used to go to school with was using as a excuse as to why they can't sell out for the bigest game of the season last night on my Facebook!
Amazing just when you think youve heard the best excuse yet another bitter comes along and beats it by a country mile

Had no idea there was so many unemployed Evertonians, at least thats what a lad I used to go to school with was using as a excuse as to why they can't sell out for the bigest game of the season last night on my Facebook!

The bitterness runs right through them. It's evident in interviews.

Guest davelfc
Amazing just when you think youve heard the best excuse yet another bitter comes along and beats it by a country mile

They haven't had the painters in again have they? Seems every time they have a decent game they have painted another stand.

Midfield is key, get that right and we should be fine, we musn't start with Adam and Lucas as a CM pairing. Also this is not a game for Henderson.

Kenny would have to be mental to start with Adam, Lucas and Henderson.

I think CM is very important, but unfortunately it's one of the weakest ares of our squad.

I really don't think Henderson will start, which is a positive, but Adam and Lucas as a CM partnership is a disaster.

Moyes was at it again on Radio Merseyside, playing the money card:

"We've generally kept up with them since I've been here. But's it's been difficult, mainly because they've been able to sign players that we couldn't. But some of them haven't worked out".

He's right. We've got loads more money, we have a higher wage bill, and we have a squad full of players who cost a lot of money.

Everton haven't got a pot to piss in, and since FSG arrived the gap's got wider.