You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Why Tory Hillsborough documents must be released before Thatchcunt dies. Brian Reade

chris71

This is Brian's column tomorrow in the Mirror. Say's it all really.

Why Tory Hillsborough documents must be released before Thatcher dies

By Brian Reade

Published 21:02 16/09/11

I’ve lost count of the number of people I’ve heard these past 22 years ask why the Hillsborough Families won’t let it lie.

Move on, you can’t bring back your loved ones, so let it go, they say.

I heard it again this week after a 140,00-strong petition compelled parliament to debate whether documents relating to Margaret Thatcher’s handling of the 1989 disaster should be released uncensored.

“What good will it do?” someone asked me. I’d like to explain.

A few years ago I asked Trevor Hicks if he thought he’d ever establish the truth about why he lost his two beautiful teenage daughters that day.

He told me he already had. He was in no doubt that they died through police incompetence, inadequate safety procedures, a non-existant emergency service response and a culture that had allowed society to view all football fans as dangerous scum and stick them in metal cages.

He sought another truth. Why the Establishment had wriggled out of all blame, smeared the fans as killers, lied about their actions and refused to take any responsibility for the deaths, thus denying the deceased justice and the bereaved closure.

And he said if he could be granted one wish before he died it would be to find out what was said between Margaret Thatcher and police chiefs when she visited the Leppings Lane terrace the day after the disaster.

Because someone in high places had told him that Thatcher decided it was imperative that the police were exonerated. That the consequences for a force she treated almost as her private army, would be immense if (as Lord Justice Taylor’s report later demanded) they took the rap for 96 deaths in their care.

And so the cover-up began with her press adviser Bernard Ingham briefing the media that the disaster had been caused by a “tanked-up mob”.

Three days later the Thatcher-supporting Sun’s infamous front-page about fans urinating on the dead and stealing from their pockets appeared after collusion between the Police Federation and a Tory MP. The story went round the world that drunken fans killed their own. And the truth was buried.

So for Trevor Hicks, the Thatcher documents, which constitute the minutes from that Sheffield meeting and other correspondence with her ministers, could be the smoking gun that proves a conspiracy which went right to the top of the Tory government.

Which is why it’s no surprise that the current one is fighting to stop those secret papers being made public despite the Information Commissioner demanding it be done.

If, as the families suspect, the Tories have something to hide, we need to find out what it is. Which is why MPs will demand next month that every document relating to Thatcher’s role be released in an “unrestricted, uncensored and unredacted” form.

If they win the day it won’t just be a great day for the 96 but for football. Because hers was the government that caged fans, that thought about bringing in electric fences, moats and ID cards and would willingly have killed the game.

If they win I don’t care whether the documents go straight into the public domain or to the independent Hillsborough panel. As someone lucky enough to survive that day though, I do have one wish. That if those papers contain the smoking gun, the trigger is pulled in public before Thatcher dies.

Because I’ve waited a long time to see that bullet fly.

Brian Reade column Why Margaret Thatcher's secret Hillsborough documents must be released before Tory leader dies - Brian Reade - MirrorFootball.co.uk

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"hers was the government that caged fans". He has a poor memory.

Briane Reade should get his facts right. The cages were erected in 1975, 4 years before the then Labour Government lost the election.

Out of that entire article, you choose to focus on that one small part just to have a dig. What's the point? Is your beef with Reade or do you just not like him having a pop at the Tory's?

If he's got that part wrong, I couldn't care less. The rest of it is brilliant. Excellent Reade.

Out of that entire article, you choose to focus on that one small part just to have a dig. What's the point? Is your beef with Reade or do you just not like him having a pop at the Tory's?

If he's got that part wrong, I couldn't care less. The rest of it is brilliant. Excellent Reade.

Hermes has a picture of Mrs Thatch on the mantlepiece, so he can talk to her. He loves her, and all her works.

If you are going to write a newspaper article the least you would expect is to get the facts right. If the minutes of meetings have something to blame the Government for then they will be dealt with. At the moment it is all supposition.

Reade's political views are well known, but blaming the government- any Government - for the fences is total bollocks. They were erected by the clubs at their discretion, not on Government orders.

Hermes has a picture of Mrs Thatch on the mantlepiece, so he can talk to her. He loves her, and all her works.

I've posted numerous times on here that I've never voted Tory in my life. If you want me to blame her for saving the country from the Unions though then yes I'll do it. That's another fact.

I've posted numerous times on here that I've never voted Tory in my life. If you want me to blame her for saving the country from the Unions though then yes I'll do it. That's another fact.

You challenge the piece of the article that you think reflects badly on your heroine, but not the comments of HER press secretary. On that you're firmly quiet.

Because he's a Tory bellend kissing gobshite.

Call yourself a red Hermes, fuck off.

Your nothing but a knobhead with shit jokes that doesn't quite understand what it means to be a red and your a spaz because you got a ticket for Istanbul and never made it.

Fuck you.

If you are going to write a newspaper article the least you would expect is to get the facts right. If the minutes of meetings have something to blame the Government for then they will be dealt with. At the moment it is all supposition.

Reade's political views are well known, but blaming the government- any Government - for the fences is total bollocks. They were erected by the clubs at their discretion, not on Government orders.

What about the other parts of the article which he did get right? Are you not going to credit him for using the tools at his disposal to again promote the fight for justice? Or is defending that poisonous slag your priority?

'Saved us from the unions'? I won't even bother debating with you on that seeing as it's the FF. :whatever:

What about the other parts of the article which he did get right? Are you not going to credit him for using the tools at his disposal to again promote the fight for justice? Or is defending that poisonous slag your priority?

'Saved us from the unions'? I won't even bother debating with you on that seeing as it's the FF. :whatever:

I hate defending herpes, because i think he's a cunt of the highest order, but the point the twat is making, is right! if any part of the article is wrong it casts a shadow over the whole article; an article this sensitive as to be 100% correct.