You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Silverlining is again proving that he just likes to go against the grain, no matter what his true opinion is. Total Wummery.

Silverlining actually has got a point.

I actually replied to Henry with this post.

To gain long term success you often need to use short term solutions in the process, especially in sports.

To have a transfer strategy based on age alone is ridiculous to say the least, football is a result orientated business and to achieve results you need good player, not young players and not old players, but good players.

To dismiss anyone with the quality needed based on the age criteria and go with potential instead is a very dangerous road to walk down and I hope to God its more balanced than what he implied there.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But I have a nasty feeling we won't

Worth reminding yourself that this is why you're getting irate, rather than basing any of it on fact.

Come on, turn the computer off and watch something shit on Sky Movies.

If you read and listen and watch all the bollocks being offered by the tabloids, Sky News, 5Live etc then you'll go mental.

Nobody is dropping the ball at our end mate, it's all as it should be, I believe that and the last 6 months have gone a long way to proving this to me, we're a very well run club and we target, and get, top players and coaches.

Have a bit of faith in those at the club, don't get sucked into all this back-page-filler stories. As the Ryan Giggs case proved, Twitter is the devil's medium and they will continue to make up stories without come-back on the fucker.

Spot on Codey. Buying young players only means that Henry has - at best - one eye on success, as he keeps banging on about, and more of a focus on that player's sell-on value.

Which, to be frank, I couldn't give two fucks about.

"Hooray! We've made a profit on Player X who left us to join a club who is more likely to win trophies! IN YOUR FACE, MORE SUCCESSFUL CLUB!"

Hopefully we can make a huge profit on Suarez when he realises that he isn't going to win a title with Henderson, Lucas, Adam in the team.

Now, I am being OTT to make a point, but it's one worth making.

We exist to win trophies, not deliver fucking profits to FSG. Buy the players we need to help us win trophies and make the team as good as it can be. Spare us your baseball sabremetrics bullshit.

Worth reminding yourself that this is why you're getting irate, rather than basing any of it on fact.

Come on, turn the computer off and watch something shit on Sky Movies.

If you read and listen and watch all the bollocks being offered by the tabloids, Sky News, 5Live etc then you'll go mental.

Nobody is dropping the ball at our end mate, it's all as it should be, I believe that and the last 6 months have gone a long way to proving this to me, we're a very well run club and we target, and get, top players and coaches.

Have a bit of faith in those at the club, don't get sucked into all this back-page-filler stories. As the Ryan Giggs case proved, Twitter is the devil's medium and they will continue to make up stories without come-back on the fucker.

Hang on!

You're the one who was monging on about United not signing any of the players everyone knew they would sign, about a day before they confirmed signing them all.

"Oh, hang on, correct me if I'm wrong, but they haven't signed De Gea or Young yet"

24 hours later:

"Oh. Well, they're crap anyway"

To have a transfer strategy based on age alone is ridiculous to say the least, football is a result orientated business and to achieve results you need good player, not young players and not old players, but good players.

Its what Man Utd do. It doesn't mean we aren't going to sign players over a certain age, it just means that we won't pay a large fee for someone who is say, over 26.

Silverlining you need to chill with the slating of Henry. He has set the parameters of how he wants his business to run. If he says he wants to buy young players then why you getting your pubes in a twist? It's not like Dalglish is managing a creche is it?

Its what Man Utd do. It doesn't mean we aren't going to sign players over a certain age, it just means that we won't pay a large fee for someone who is say, over 26.

Obviously it's better to pay £xxm for a great player who is 22, than £xxm for a great player who is 27 or whatever, but I'd be horrified if we went for inferior players just because they're younger.

Yeah, paying top dollar for older players isn't ideal, but we need to improve our team NOW.

I've said all along, I don't have a preference for young, English talent. I don't really care where they're from, or how old they are. I just want players who will make us a better team and more likely to win trophies.

That doesn't mean I;d pay £15m for, say, Scott Parker (a very good player who would improve our team) but neither does it mean that just because, say, Jordan Henderson is 20, means that he is a good buy at £15m.

Christ, at least wait until things are confirmed before having a fucking opinion on whether it's right/wrong, or good/bad.

Part of me does wonder if FSG took the job on with the idea that the Financial Fair Play ruling would come in and make the game more even, more open to their sabremetrics philosophy, which it undoubtedly would.

But I don't see FFP coming in anytime soon.

That's almost £60m spent by United so far, having raked in £0. And they still haven't got around to replacing Scholes.

But their success is not the original or only template, no matter how much they spend, it can be defeated.

Ferguson can replace everyone with a younger, fitter model. Everyone except himself that is.

why does buying young automatically mean we are only buying potential?? there are plenty of under 26's out there who are either world class or bordering on world class. suarez is a perfect example of fsg's approach, young but already has a level of quality that easily good enough for this league. would people not argue the likes of mata and agureo etc are bordering being world class???

every young signing doesn't need to be raw potential like hensdrson, or wickham etc. looking at younger players doesn't automatically mean looking at potential, some are already good enough to improve us. I would rather spend 35 million on Carroll who already has a decent level of ability and will get better, than 30 million on a shevchenko who's best days are past him. what kind of loss did chelsea make on that transfer???

I am sure the wages arent a problem with an older player if he was on a free but paying a big transfer fee and wages that is dead money I can understand the reluctance.

Downing must be close to the edge and its clear to me anyway we wont sign him at any cost which has to be good news

To gain long term success you often need to use short term solutions in the process, especially in sports.

To dismiss anyone with the quality needed based on the age criteria and go with potential instead is a very dangerous road to walk down and I hope to God its more balanced than what he implied there.

We're after Downing, so clearly we're not just after young players.

We`ll see what the mancs do when all their players at my age retires, they still have plenty left.

Spot on Codey. Buying young players only means that Henry has - at best - one eye on success, as he keeps banging on about, and more of a focus on that player's sell-on value.

Why is that true at all? What about if he's wanting to set up a squad that if it wins something, has mostly young players that can maybe carry on doing it for years to come? It doesn't have to be about cash and selling, it can be about staying at the top with a younger squad for years, and making the odd changes here and there instead of huge overhauls and changing the whole team.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

To have a transfer strategy based on age alone is ridiculous to say the least, football is a result orientated business and to achieve results you need good player, not young players and not old players, but good players..

I don't think it's fair to say that it's an 'age alone' strategy. They've clearly got to be good youngsters for it to make any sense at all. Over all, it's a fairly good strategy to buy young-ish players just as they're breaking through and looking good.

It sounds like an Arsenal strategy which doesn't work.

Blimey. Some fair points made though by Silver. I remember myself getting all excited when Hicks and Gillett were on the scene and telling us what we wanted to hear. There needs to be perspective. Actions speak louder than words. They have spent big. They need to continue to fo do.

JWH comes across a very decent guy. Lets not forhet they got us on the cheap. Now is the time to stop talking and start spending

What has been said to make anyone think any differently?

Some tweeted platitudes from a bloke who knows nothing about football?

Are we that naive?

"Oh, look he's chatting to some 'fans'! Hooray! All is well!"

I don't give a merry fuck waht he says, or thinks.

I just want us to buy some more top quality players like Suarez, because we STILL need a CB, a CM, a LB and a wide attacker with pace and goals in him.

Do you miss the point on purpose or are you sctaully stupid? He didnt have to do it, and whether its a PR stunt or not is not the point.

No problem with the younger player policy means we dont spunk money on another Joe Cole on Poulsen.

The interesting thing is Downing is on the edge so to speak so I am sure there is a price we wont go beyond.

Personally I think its great news for the club that we are now being run professionally with all the key players pulling in the same direction

Which, to be frank, I couldn't give two fucks about.

"Hooray! We've made a profit on Player X who left us to join a club who is more likely to win trophies! IN YOUR FACE, MORE SUCCESSFUL CLUB!"

Hopefully we can make a huge profit on Suarez when he realises that he isn't going to win a title with Henderson, Lucas, Adam in the team.

Now, I am being OTT to make a point, but it's one worth making.

We exist to win trophies, not deliver fucking profits to FSG. Buy the players we need to help us win trophies and make the team as good as it can be. Spare us your baseball sabremetrics bullshit.

Alright what you have to do is respect the man. The owner of the football club you and I support.

He is going to do his best in what ever way he can to brings us success because that will bring him success. He has experience in running sports related situations so I believe he has to have some experience, hell he has more than you. Sure football is not his thing but he has people around him for advice and perspective.

Now please, stop being a cunt and wait till the fucking transfer season ends to see what players we have acquired. Judge after its over not before it begins, as we will see then how the players we acquire fare with Suarez. Its open business.

Aguero, Mata, Banega, Coentrao, Sakho and someone like Benzema will help me like Henry.

Ok, you do realise that the players themselves have a say in whether they come?

We are what we are, a once massive club who have had a couple of nightmare years.

It's like Gerrard being bought by Ajax, very fucking unlikely.

Big club we undoubtedly are, but get some perspective, the big, big name targets will be likely drawn to money and/or the CL.

The signings that Man City made last season are testament to how much sway money, as opposed to recognition of the size of a club, has on the modern players.

Look at the cunts filing off to Russia to play, or back to Brazil where the money is greater for some of the top players than at any European giant.

I'd love to sign Contrao and Banega, but I'm sure all the G14 clubs would also like to, as would most of the clubs in the CL.

Unfortunately, when the agent asks the player what clubs he would like to go to, he will most likely say "one in the CL, who will pay me more than I'm on now".

We won't even pass the first stage of screening, our interest would be thrown in the bin, maybe not even mentioned to the player in some cases.

Downing, despite his downbeat aura, really isn't an option to be sniffed at.

The fact we are back in for him is a great signal, to me, that we're actually going to enhance the areas of the squad that we've all be moaning about for the last 2 years. No, it's not David Silva, but it's the stepping stone to next season where players like Hazard and Silva would take our interest seriously once more.