You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Torres mega-thread

cole7

He's only irreplaceable when hes good, when he sulks he is average at best! Can you honestly see him giving 100% to us now? He doesnt want to be here and we are forcing him.

Whats all this "verbal intimidation" shit about?

I haven't read anything about verbal intimidation.

The thing is it's so obvious that chelski are in decline and all their players are past their best so why the hell go there? He won't win any major trophies at Chelsea for a long time.

Looks like Roman's got his interest back. They're bidding for all sorts of players for massivemoney. Aguero, Luiz, Torres.

I haven't read anything about verbal intimidation.

He has supposedly told the BBC that he wants to leave Liverpool due to his "treatment" and "verbal intimidation"

Ill see if i can find link. 2 ticks

(NO scrap that, its the BBC gossip section and it appears to have orignally come from the sCum)

Sorry about that lads.

He has supposedly told the BBC that he wants to leave Liverpool due to his "treatment" and "verbal intimidation"

Ill see if i can find link. 2 ticks

Verbal intimidation form who?

I can understand the treatment bit. The club treated him and our good players like cunts for years.

He's only irreplaceable when hes good, when he sulks he is average at best! Can you honestly see him giving 100% to us now? He doesnt want to be here and we are forcing him.

Whats all this "verbal intimidation" shit about?

Even when he was average, such as last season he was still banging them in.

Verbal intimidation form who?

I can understand the treatment bit. The club treated him and our good players like cunts for years.

I think it's harsh to blame the whole club. The owners were screwing everyone over and the club was suffering as a whole rather than a few individuals.

yeah well that picture says it all really...How many of those fans will be chanting for him ?? All of them if he signs I bet.

Much as I'd love to join on the chelski bashing, how many of us would chant for Drogba if he came the other way? I know I would even though I hate the tit he's a world class player who I'd welcome here for what he'd bring to our attack.

Let's not forget Purslow's role in all this.

Or is he still a hero?

What did you want him to do? In the summer he had two choices. Let Torres go, or try and persuade him to stay. Had we sold him, Purslow would have been seen as the bad guy, asset stripping for the yanks. The money would have disappeared, and who knows, maybe we'd have ended up with G&H staying.

But no, he persuaded him to stay, but only after agreeing to put in a £50m release clause. I love how people say Purslow 'inserted the clause' in the contract. Like it was his idea and poor little Fernando had no choice but to go along with it? Torres' people insisted on it, and Purslow agreed because he wanted him to stay and probably because he hoped that when the club was sold Torres would be happier and wouldn't want to go even if someone met the clause.

The only part Purslow played in this was appointing Hodgson, but even that isn't that significant as Torres was unsettled before Hodgson, and even now Hodgson has gone he still wants out. He's walking out on Kenny Dalglish, which to me tells me he would walk out on any manager.

His leaving is inevitible and has been since it was clear (under our shite former manager) that we weren't finishing fourth.

I can understand what he's thinking, go now rather than see out another 6 months at LFC with virtually nothing to play for, as we will not be relegated and we will not finish fourth.

From the club's point of view we should stand firm and should only agree to sell him now if the offer is at least equal or better than what we could expect to sell him for in the summer, i.e. at least the alleged £50m clause.

What did you want him to do? In the summer he had two choices. Let Torres go, or try and persuade him to stay. Had we sold him, Purslow would have been seen as the bad guy, asset stripping for the yanks. The money would have disappeared, and who knows, maybe we'd have ended up with G&H staying.

But no, he persuaded him to stay, but only after agreeing to put in a £50m release clause. I love how people say Purslow 'inserted the clause' in the contract. Like it was his idea and poor little Fernando had no choice but to go along with it? Torres' people insisted on it, and Purslow agreed because he wanted him to stay and probably because he hoped that when the club was sold Torres would be happier and wouldn't want to go even if someone met the clause.

The only part Purslow played in this was appointing Hodgson, but even that isn't that significant as Torres was unsettled before Hodgson, and even now Hodgson has gone he still wants out. He's walking out on Kenny Dalglish, which to me tells me he would walk out on any manager.

He was under a contract with NO clause in it, so we could have insisted he stayed for the remainder of it and refused any bid.

However that's not an ideal situation and quite unrealistic in modern football, so I can't blame Purslow for going along with inserting the clause.

Surprised there hasn't been a bid from Barca or City. I know City have just paid big money for a striker, but Tevez is almost certainly gone in the summer.

There's time. You never know Torres could be using Chelsea to flush out other interest.

If Torres was committed and the other attacking players such as Raul, Stevie, Suarez, Maxi, Cole and Kuyt all were playing well we could hit form and still get 4th. It is not totally beyond us but is a tough ask. Chelsea don't seem to be improving and Spurs are hit and miss still. That 4th place is not out of reach. He should have stayed and fought for that and the Europa.

I do agree with most of what you are saying and to blame Purslow alone for this is massively myopic, but given how shite this league is I think if we'd have appointed the right manager in the summer we'd deffo be in the top4 by now.

With that we'd probably in a better situation not for Torres to be doing this.

Ultimately though, it's all conjucture because he does wanna leave and we need to sort out the deal and suits us first and foremost.

Surprised there hasn't been a bid from Barca or City. I know City have just paid big money for a striker, but Tevez is almost certainly gone in the summer.

I'd expect one from someone else although I wonder how much of Barcelona's limited funds these days have already been tied up during the summer gone and how much Man City wanna sign another number 9 when they've got Tevez, Silva and Balotelli to accomodate.

That is the only reason why we should even consider keeping hold to the summer.

Unless they offer silly money 65mil + and no installments he has to stay. Even then we would struggle to get anyone in and at a stupid price. Granted he will be gone in the summer but then we have time to replace him. As it is FSG should be making a huge statement that we DON'T SELL our star players to our rivals despite what a little shit he has been.

Some journos think the clause only becomes active in the summer when there is defo no champions league and that it may only apply to foreign clubs. If thats the case you can see why Chelsea are really trying to get him now as they would be in a queue in the summer you would think. Oh and maybe its because of the FFP regs coming in to?