You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Torres mega-thread

cole7

He's just another deeply spoilt celebrity, that's all most footballers are these days. What do we expect from individuals who have been multi-millionaires since their teens, enjoy the celebrity lifestyle, adulation of thousands every week and who undoubtedly don't have to practise patience or responsibility in their lives? We see it week in week out with the off-field antics of many footballers. It's been like that for 40 years and it's getting worse.

It's just the disappointment with Torres that I personally had bought into the idea that he was just a cut above this. Everything about the way he'd conducted himself at Athletico and the statements he'd made with us gave the impression that when he did decide to leave it would be with a bit of respect for the club and supporters.

Truth is the numerous brooding and sulky performances we've seen over the last few months which we've all tried to excuse are far more indicitive of the man than his statements.

Just sell him asap and move on.

Everything about the way he'd conducted himself at Athletico and the statements he'd made with us gave the impression that when he did decide to leave it would be with a bit of respect for the club and supporters.

This is the point though...he left Athletico, his hometown club for us. Why wouldnt he leave us?

Adulation wasnt enough then and it isnt now

Guest davelfc

I shall pin my hopes on this

Liverpool FC have confirmed that Fernando Torres has on Friday evening submitted a transfer request. The request has been rejected.

The Club said in a statement: "Fernando Torres tonight submitted a written transfer request, which has been rejected by Liverpool.

"Fernando is under a long-term contract and the Club expects him to honour the commitment he made to Liverpool FC and its supporters when he signed the agreement."

and hope he gets his shit together now.

This is the point though...he left Athletico, his hometown club for us. Why wouldnt he leave us?

Adulation wasnt enough then and it isnt now

The devil is in the detail though! I would have understood him leaving in the previous window, I would have understood him going this summer, but 3 days before the closure of the transfer window and handing in a written request is shitty.

I fully expected him to go, but I fully expected him to go to Barcelona at the end of the season, this is a kick in the guts, personally I don't want him to stay, certainly not without a statement from him!

If Torres goes, I can see Reina going as well.

The legacy of Tom Hicks contunues...

I'd say its enevitable. Maybe not just a striker we will need to be looking for in the summer.

I would like to hear what the lad has to say but if Owen can go and play for them down the East Lancs Rd then I'm afraid we all have to wise up and now remember there is absolutely no loyalty in the game whatsoever from any modern day player anymore.

Its no longer a game, its a massive business and because young kids who are good at football no longer get the chance to go and watch their side at the weekends as they are playing too much football, there is no loyalty.

I grew up wishing for the Satdee to go to the match and watch my idol Kenny Dalglish.

How many kids in acadames get to see their heros play live each week and grow loyalty to a club? Hardly any as they are playing each week too much football.

Torres now, Reina next. Carra and Stevie dont have many years leftt. We have a massive rebuilding exercise on our hands now.

According to Cadena SER radio, his missus "wants to bring up their children in London".

The missus. Especially the foreign missus. Always the get-out for these players. Nothing to do with an extra £5m a year (minimum) salary or the enormous commission the Russian oil thief will pay his agents and hangers-on. Oh no.

If I've ever wanted Putin to fall out with someone, it's Abramovich...

I understand that everyone is pissed. But lets be honest, this guy spends most of the season out injured. He may one of the best strikers in the world but thats no good to us if he barely plays half the matches in a season. I would take the 40 million in a heartbeat.

Just the timing is horrible.

The thing that pisses me off the most is the realisation that there really is no loyalty left in football. Everyone is after trophies and money and they will go to whatever club that will give them those things.

The devil is in the detail though! I would have understood him leaving in the previous window, I would have understood him going this summer, but 3 days before the closure of the transfer window and handing in a written request is shitty.

I fully expected him to go, but I fully expected him to go to Barcelona at the end of the season, this is a kick in the guts, personally I don't want him to stay, certainly not without a statement from him!

Barcelona dont need him and they wont pay anything near what he is worth. He was waiting on them last summer.

His only options are Chelsea and Man City. He obviously believes that Chelsea wont be back in for him in the summer, so forcing the issue.

It has been well known that he hasnt been happy and would have moved in summer anyway.

Commoli and Co should have a back up plan as itss not a huge suprise.

This transfer request just proves the level of intelligence of footballers. Why on Earth would he hand it in now????

If he wanted to leave he should have left before the season or handed it in at the start of this transfer window.

Why would he want to go to Chelsea??? Does he know anything about their pathetic supporters and their cunts for players???

They are in decline now and are an ageing team. If that new rule comes in where they have to manage the club like a proper business then they really are fucked with that squad.

I just don't understand Torres as we are now turning the corner and we will start to improve now as can already be seen on the pitch.

I wouldn't sell him unless we have a replacement sorted. I wouldn't give in unless we are receiving 50+ and Anelka. Fuck him if he doesn't like it. If he starts to sulk on the pitch I would drop him and fine him every single weeks wage until he stops and puts in an effort and plays like a professional. I'm tired of these players breaking contracts just by sulking and demanding moves. We no longer are in need of money so he puts up or shuts up.

No player is bigger than the team and he can go in the summer when a few clubs are chasing him and we have time to adequately replace him.

There really should be a rule where every player has a minimum buy out clause that is calculated some way taking into account how many years is left in the contract and also what wages they are being paid. If greedy players sign huge contracts for lengthy periods then they know that they can't hand in transfer requests or push for moves until the figure is offered by a club. They also can't have clubs pushed into giving them larger contracts when their contracts have 2 years to go.

The players earn far too much money, are greedy cunts with no morals and all this is at the poor fan's expense. FUCK THE LOT OF THEM! I'm so pissed off with Torres it is unreal. He's turned me into a nonsensical waffler at this stage I think.....unless someone agrees with my madness????

Let's not forget Purslow's role in all this.

Or is he still a hero?

Purslow promised Torres that we would get new owners before the end of Oct. That was it. We did. The only thing Purslow can be blamed for in this is that he managed to persuade Torres to stay this long. He wanted to go before the end of last season. Perhaps it would have been better for the club if he had. I can't see how we've benefitted this year by playing Torres through a massive sulk.

this is nothing to do with Purslow. let the obsession go.

Barcelona dont need him and they wont pay anything near what he is worth. He was waiting on them last summer.

His only options are Chelsea and Man City. He obviously believes that Chelsea wont be back in for him in the summer, so forcing the issue.

It has been well known that he hasnt been happy and would have moved in summer anyway.

Commoli and Co should have a back up plan as itss not a huge suprise.

You could be right re; Barcelona.

And i think you are right about the back up plan, the talk about Lukkakakakakk seems a little bit of forward planning now!

As I say, I am not hugely concerned! In a strange way, because of how he has gone about this, it has made it easier to deal with him leaving, if that makes sense?

LIES!!!!

"I'm a foreign player, but I know how the Liverpool fans feel and I remember the welcome I had when I arrived - it was just amazing.

"I hope to play a lot of years or maybe even finish my career here. I don't know, but Liverpool is my English team and I don't think about playing for another one."

LIES!!!!

January 10th 2011

“My head is in Liverpool and on helping save our season. I am professional and I always fulfil my deals.

“I haven’t considered leaving, although in football that depends on the club.”

Enjoy yourself playing for your new 'Supporters'.

94748434.jpg

this is nothing to do with Purslow.

That's as blinded all the blame on him though. The right manager in the summer would have us looking at the top rather than the bottom of the table. Whether that'd changed his mind, because as you say he was looking at moving before this, is up for debate but a successful side would be far more attractive to him than an average midtable outfit.

I believe the first 6 months of the season convinced him he needs to move to win things. Many have said similar things on here over the past few months so can't blame some players thinking the same.

I understand that everyone is pissed. But lets be honest, this guy spends most of the season out injured. He may one of the best strikers in the world but thats no good to us if he barely plays half the matches in a season. I would take the 40 million in a heartbeat.

Just the timing is horrible.

The thing that pisses me off the most is the realisation that there really is no loyalty left in football. Everyone is after trophies and money and they will go to whatever club that will give them those things.

Have you ever asked why?

He hasnt had a summer off with no footie since the summer he signed for us.he had his best season after having a long footie free rest that summer.Now this summer he is about to get a long awaited proper break and whoever he plays for next season is going to get a fit and fighting Torres in peak form.To make it worse Suarez will be at the copa america this summer.

If he goes,he absolutely must not go to another English club.You wouldnt and havent seen the scum sell best players to league rivals and neither should we.

Purslow promised Torres that we would get new owners before the end of Oct. That was it. We did. The only thing Purslow can be blamed for in this is that he managed to persuade Torres to stay this long. He wanted to go before the end of last season. Perhaps it would have been better for the club if he had. I can't see how we've benefitted this year by playing Torres through a massive sulk.

this is nothing to do with Purslow. let the obsession go.

Technically you're right. However, Purslow continually told Torres investment was right around the corner and that we'd be spending big. Before consecutive transfer windows. Torres has been badly advised and I think he's an arse at the very least for wanting out but I can't blame him for feeling he's been 'misinformed' by former board members.

If Gillett and Hicks didn't buy us this wouldn't have happened. He's been fucked about for 3 years, same with all are other players. Only difference is Torres is one of the best in the world.

I think Gerrard was worse trying to leave but luckily he didn't follow through.

Football is shit.