You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Chelsea game thread

llego

• Replies 643
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great result- good performance and a lot of heart.

Good call by Hodgson for 4-4-2 and everyone put in a shift for the team.

Impressed by Hodgson starting Kelly and subbing on Shelvey and Spearing in such an intense game- finally our youngsters are gettting some minutes and they are not letting us down.

Liverpool 2-0 Chelsea: Torres strikes and positional discipline see Liverpool through | Zonal Marking

A little review by zonal marking.

I personally think that we outnumbered them in the midfield with 5 midfielders. They had only three players in the midfield and Zhirkoff and Ramirez are a bit inexperienced in the league so they simply got slaughtered.

Great result. Great performance. However lets not get carried away yet.

This is a Chelsea without Essien and Lampard in the midfield, and without Drogba until the second half. They lost Cavalho in the summer too. This is a weakened Chelsea.

Look how much things changed with the introduction of Drogba.

You're right Benitaur, we did get a bit lucky with Chelsea's injury issues - but compared with losing at home to Blackpool and getting duffed by the blueshite it was great.

The mark of how successful Roy is will be when we're surprised if we lose against Chelsea rather than over the moon with a slightly unexpected win.

Great result. Great performance. However lets not get carried away yet.

This is a Chelsea without Essien and Lampard in the midfield, and without Drogba until the second half. They lost Cavalho in the summer too. This is a weakened Chelsea.

Look how much things changed with the introduction of Drogba.

It changed nothing. Chelsea are a very strong team, clear at the top of the league, despite their absences. Very few teams will beat them this year, we just have. Don't knock it.

Nice result. Doesnt really mean anything tho.

Fulham also won several times against the big four, but failed to win games consistently. And thats why they finished average.

We still have a crap manager, and poor quality players. One good game doesnt make Lucas into Xavi. And one good assist doesnt make Kuyt into a Bergkamp.

We still lack depth up front, and lack creativity in midfield. Our players need to learn how to keep possesion too. The amount of possesion Chelsea had in the second half in contrast to us sums up our midfield ability to keep the ball.

Nice to see Torres get his form back tho. He's consistent, but just needs to stay injury free.

We shouldnt get too excited by this game. End of day its only 3 points. Its more about winning the most num of games, not the toughest games. And with the squad and manager we have. Thats gonna be difficult.

Just gotta concentrate on the next game and not get too carried away.

I may well eat my words later, but I have a funny feeling that today's the day that Torres returns to form.. with a bang.

Not sure we will be able to keep them out though; 3-2 to us maybe. Just hope we don't have to chase the game because the bench is particularly weak today.

I only wish I'd put more money on Nando to score first :-)

Digger was getting so much abuse from the women on Daybreak this morning for watching the match rather than going to the hospital. He's got his priorities just right if you ask me.

Fulham also won several times against the big four, but failed to win games consistently. And thats why they finished average.

We still have a crap manager, and poor quality players. One good game doesnt make Lucas into Xavi. And one good assist doesnt make Kuyt into a Bergkamp.

We still lack depth up front, and lack creativity in midfield. Our players need to learn how to keep possesion too. The amount of possesion Chelsea had in the second half in contrast to us sums up our midfield ability to keep the ball.

Nice to see Torres get his form back tho. He's consistent, but just needs to stay injury free.

We shouldnt get too excited by this game. End of day its only 3 points. Its more about winning the most num of games, not the toughest games. And with the squad and manager we have. Thats gonna be difficult.

I was wondering whether somebdoy would be dumb enough to make this kind of post. 3 weeks ago we were losing to the likes of Northampton and Blackpool. In case you've missed it, this was only Chelseas second defeat of the season and prior to this game their goals tally was 24 for 3 against. Chelsea were always going to come out fighting in the second half- they had nothing to lose and we were not going to chase the game.

Take your dislike of Roy and put it where the sun doesn't shine this is about the team nothing else.

Unbelievable.

You're telling us not to get too excited and carried away. Fine. We'll see how that works after the next game we don't win. Somehow, I think it'll be more the night of the long knives rather than constructive analysis.

The team is a work-in-progress with a new coach and new board. The fact we're 5 games unbeaten is a credit to them all, and keeps the backstabbers at bay, for another 3 nights at least.

Yesterday was the best I've felt about us since the Madrid/Manc wins, it was just magic. Torres out of nowhere back to being a magician, the whole team playing brilliantly together, Kelly at right back against Chelsea and we kept a clean sheet, Lucas ruling, Gerrard playing brilliantly, Drogba didn't score, Mongo not happy.

The Napoli hat-trick from Stevie and then that yesterday is just amazing. Am glad I've not given Roy any shit (apart from saying I wanted him gone once, after his comments about Torres being sold to the mancs, which were taken out of proportion I think.) and hope things carry on going well.

It was the first time this season that I have screamed as a goal went in. We have been so poor, that I haven't felt anything watching the games, apart from boredom. The second half, that gut wrenching tension came back, and I found myself caring about the result again. I think it is a sign of things looking up.

What a performance. What an unbelievable result. We looked dead and buried 4 games ago and look at us now. Only 5 points off 4th place.

Pepe - Some world class saves and proved yet again why he is in the top 3 GK's in the world

Kelly - The lad has got some great potential and I thought he had a great game. Was solid throughout the game and didn't give Cole/Malouda much to work with

Carra - Kept Anelka quiet in the first half and I thought he won the battle against Drogba for the first time in a while. Great saving tackle near the end of the game

Skrtel - Performances like that will go along way to proving me wrong about him. He does still give the odd silly foul away but I thought he was solid along side Carra

Konchesky - Steady game and by far his best performance in a Liverpool shirt

Meireles - Set up Torres for the 2nd goal and kept things ticking over. His best position is in the CM but he did have a steady performance and helped out Kelly in defence

Lucas - MOTM for me. Worked tireless and bossed the midfield. Never gave the Chelsea midfield a second on the ball. I'd say that was his best performance in a Liverpool shirt.

Gerrard - Great performance by the skipper. Back in CM and with Lucas bossed the midfield. We all know about the range of passing and he shown it to a tie yesterday

Maxi - Another solid performance. Kept the ball well in the first half and was unlucky not to win a penalty at the end

Kuyt - Another tireless performance from the number 18. Great pass to find Torres for the first goal and another that gave everything yesterday. Games like these are why he's such a variable member of the team

Torres - Brilliant, just brilliant. Great touch for the first goal and an amazing finish for the 2nd. Another that worked tireless and so glad to have him nearly full fitness

If you can't get a bit excited about beating the top team in the country with a fine team performance it does beg the question "Why fucking bother?".