You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mascherano replacement?

rebel23

I wonder if that new and improved contract is still on offer to the chief or have the club withdrawn it!

Mascherano is unfortunately in the driving seat. We cannot allow a £25-30m asset to run down another year of his contract. Rafa Benitez at Inter and Barcelona will be aware of this.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mascherano is unfortunately in the driving seat. We cannot allow a £25-30m asset to run down another year of his contract. Rafa Benitez at Inter and Barcelona will be aware of this.

Steve we just tell him theres a price, if they want him that much they pay it, £40m were mad if we ask for a penny less, there gona get big money for Maicon, they got £70m for Ibrahimivic, they want the best defensive midfielder in the world there gona pay for him, if Barca want him you say you just got £28m for a substitute, now pay up

I agree I just wondered if the club were in a financial position if they could even offer players 100k a week for the next four years now. Especially as we have a new manager who may have other priorities on squad building.

The alternative is they sell the player at a fair price and allow the new manager less distractions.

I dont want us to replace him "like for like", I want us to bring in a player who contributes more to the team overall as i dont think we have good enough attacking players in the team to afford a "luxery" player as Mascherano who is very good at what he does, but unfortunatley what he does is very specific and my thinking is that a more complete player will be more of an assett to the team even if he might not be on mascherano`s level as a defensive midfielder.

I dont want us to replace him "like for like", I want us to bring in a player who contributes more to the team overall as i dont think we have good enough attacking players in the team to afford a "luxery" player as Mascherano who is very good at what he does, but unfortunatley what he does is very specific and my thinking is that a more complete player will be more of an assett to the team even if he might not be on mascherano`s level as a defensive midfielder.

unfortunatly even though we may have the money for such a player (with Mascherano cash) we cant offer champions league football so we would be quite limited to the quality we can bring in.

I think this summer will be more about quantity than quality. We had quality with Rafa but injuries to key players meant we were lacking on the bench. i can see a lot of 30 somthing year olds joining us. a lot of them will be stop gaps while we wait for new owners.

Have to say I agree with this, I'd rather a Hamann or Alonso type player, somebody that can mix it and play a bit.

Spot on.

We need a ball player, not another ball winner.

If we're at home to Stoke or Wolves and they have no desire to get out of their own half, then a player like Mascherano is a waste, despite being good at what he does. The word luxury sums him up given what we need and our budget.

What about Lassana Diarra? He didn't figure at all for Chelsea under Jose, and he was gradually pushed out last year for Van Der Vaart.

He'd be a very, very good replacement.

Great shout. I thought he was excellent at Portsmouth. How much would he cost?

I don't think either of them are anything approaching special on the ball.

I think wasted might be the wrong term for Mascherano against weaker oppo. Unrequired? Possibly. Most teams do look to sit and hit on the break, but most of those breaks would probably come with long balls up to a lone frontman. If the ball is bypassing him anyway, there's no real erquirement for him to be there. Especially as he offers little in an attracking or creative sense.

When we're playing a crap team just let him break up play high up the pitch. When he wins it we're in a dangerous position.

This happened against Derby when we won 6-0 , off the top of my head.

Good point. Man Utd 08/09 at home for two.

Real payed around 20M for Lass Diara didn't they?

Yeah they did, but he was gradually pushed out the side in the second half of last season.

I'd like to add, I don't think he's better than Mascherano but he's a very good player who'd be more than adequate as a replacement.

Banega, Martinez or Flamini. I think one of these three would be ideal for our midfield, all our comfortable on the ball, strong in the tackle and can pick a pass. Would be available for significantly less than we sell Masch on for, allowing Roy the money to sign a striker. I want £30 million for Masch, we'll more likely end up getting 20-25.

masch isn't wasted in any team, its just a matter of system.

as one holding player in a 4-2-3-1 for games against mid table teams or better teams.

as one of two holding players in a 4-2-3-1 against the best of the best

and as one holding player in a 3-1-2-3-2 (3-5-2) against the weaker teams. much like the argies play.

there's a role for him in any situation as long as the manager readjusts the overall system to allow us to attack more, defend more etc.

if he wanted to stay he'd be the first name on my teamsheet every week. if he wants to go i think you replace him either like for like, or if we feel lucas can do that job, then spend it wisely on whatever position in the team you feel needs proper strengthening.

ideally you replace him like for like in the 10-15 million range and use the profits elsewhere

a replacement for mascherano will be difficult to find,

can't think where we could get a chicken without a head, who berates offiicials for 90mins gives free kick after free kick away, does his best to get sent off in 70% of games,doesnt create anything, cant pass a ball more than 10 yards, can't score and has a questionable attitude.

LFC rescued this mercenary cunt from wham reserves and now he thinks he's better than what he is

fuck off you argie cunt and take your whinging tart with you